Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848367 times)

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2655 on: June 08, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
+1

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2656 on: June 08, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »
why are people posting the same pics over & over

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2657 on: June 08, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »
+1
sorry, didnt see them posted already.

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2658 on: June 08, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
It's pretty weird that it takes Trevor 3 hits to break barrels.
Agreed. 1 hit is all it should take to break most stationary for items in the levels.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2659 on: June 08, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »
1 hit is all it should take to break most stationary for items in the levels.

not in the LoS universe!!

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2660 on: June 08, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »
+2
Lol I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

So not only was all the enemies buffed the barrels are as well??? :D

Whats up with that MS?

How come my whip needs to hit those barrels 3 times before they break?

Are they some sort of enchanted barrels or something?
I pretty much mentioned this when I first saw the gameplay footage. These Belmonts are cool looking and all, but seriously, the fact that it takes multiple hits to break apart barrels is making them look like PUSSIES. Add on the fact that classic canon Belmonts could do it in 1-hit. 1-HIT!!!! I've also stated this too, but if this is going to carry over to LoS2, and Dracula's going to have to break boxes and barrels with multiple hits, it's just going to completely negate his badassery in the CG trailer. That shit just won't fly. 1-hit... how hard can that be?

It IS kinda making the old canon characters feel more badass in that extent. 1-hit disposal of inanimate objects, enemies that they can cut through in a few hits. Someone's gotta do a web comic of old Trevor meeting new Trevor, talking about battling skeletons and new Trevor being surprised that old Trevor can kill them in 1-hit.  ;D

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2661 on: June 08, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »
+4
Why are on screen sentences still telling me that I need to come back all the time? Hopefully these are a one time tutorial thing, but I'd like for the game to have more visual cues on what to do to stuff rather than hitting me over the head with it. I know R grabs dammit, I don't have Alzheimer's! (At the very least, they should let us turn these off.)

YES! I swear this freakin' hand holding is annoying! I hate to sound like the grumpy old gamer, but I remember when they just told you in the instructions how to play the damn game and only explained complex shit. That was gaming.

Oh, and screw the visual cues! Back in the day we didn't know if we could grab a ledge or not, you just had to be a (wo)man and try it out. Now it feels like I'm being treated like a baby that needs safety markers everywhere. It's not really exploring if the ledges and anchors light up to show you the way to go.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:47:49 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2662 on: June 08, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »
*rant on annoying tutorials*
Quote from: VladCT
*points to Egoraptor"s MM vs. MMX Sequelitis episode*
I rest my case. :P
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2663 on: June 08, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
What the hell is a "waifu"?  :rollseyes:

That last shot with the stage-by-stage map like in the classic games looks nice. The only thing that really irks me about this game so far is that there are actually candles on the walls throughout the demo, but they are used for lighting, and can't be smashed.  :'(

I agree. I love being able to break stuff. I think everyone does. Why couldn't they take THAT cue from GoW? Lots of random shit to break. Makes the environment much more real when you can actually interact with things other than switches and ledges.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2664 on: June 08, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
YES! I swear this freakin' hand holding is annoying! I hate to sound like the grumpy old gamer, but I remember when they just told you in the instructions how to play the damn game and only explained complex shit. That was gaming.

Oh, and screw the visual cues! Back in the day we didn't know if we could grab a ledge or not, you just had to be a (wo)man and try it out. Now it feels like I'm being treated like a baby that needs safety markers everywhere. It's not really exploring if the ledges and anchors light up to show you the way to go.

It's a sad fact that no one reads the instruction manual anymore, hence why the booklets are getting shorter and shorter every year(and saving money). Companies are planning on getting rid of instruction manual's altogether in favor of in game tutorials so that little Jimmy wont get frustrated on level 1. So thank "Jimmy Mcdidn't read the manual" for all the handholding in games this generation and beyond.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:24:41 PM by Kingshango »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2665 on: June 08, 2012, 06:26:44 PM »
It's a sad fact that no one reads the instruction manual anymore, hence why the booklets are getting shorter and shorter every year. Hell companies are planning on getting rid of manual's altogether in favor of in game tutorials. So thank "Jimmy Mcdidn't read the manual" for all the handholding in games this generation and beyond.

They should do it like ME3: just put the booklet IN the game in a codex or something. That way, I don't have to get hand held, and they don't have to feel like they're leaving something out.

I mean really, I never read any instruction manuals as a kid to actually learn, I just read them for the cool pictures and character descriptions.

If I didn't know how to do something, I bought a strategy guide. Hoo-ah.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #2666 on: June 08, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
Ignoring how difficult it is to start a new IP for a moment, what if MercurySteam didn't want to do their own thing? What if they wanted to create a Castlevania game, with the Dracula and the Belmonts and the whips, but they didn't want to tell the story the way it had been previously been told? The game stands out when compared to IGA's tradition, but I could easily imagine an alternate history where IGA never existed and Castlevania naturally evolved into LoS from the earlier titles, probably sans Rondo.

You don't have to tell a story the same way in order to use the same basic plot. A talented writer can take the basic plot and characters and weave a very different story than the previous writer did. This is especially true when it comes to the original canon which is very bare of any real story telling. Plus on top of that MS originally pitched LoS as a remake of CV1. So I do indeed think they wanted to retell that story.

But say LoS had come out with no Castlevania name, change every name and mention to Castlevania to something else, people would be crying "Castlevania Ripoff!" because the game MercurySteam wanted to make was so similar even if it did offend some traditionalist sentiments. Heck, people were calling it as a Castlevania game before it was confirmed as one, and then everyone's jimmies got rustled when it actually was one.

I don't think it would have made any difference to the new fanbase Konami was seeking. As a matter of fact I think it might even have sold even better because more of the old CV fanbase would have been less miffed about it. Let's face facts, Konami is in it for the money and appealing to us old fans isn't on their menu any more.
"Stuff and things."

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2667 on: June 08, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
You don't have to tell a story the same way in order to use the same basic plot. A talented writer can take the basic plot and characters and weave a very different story than the previous writer did. This is especially true when it comes to the original canon which is very bare of any real story telling. Plus on top of that MS originally pitched LoS as a remake of CV1. So I do indeed think they wanted to retell that story.

Agreed, so they already expressed interest in working on a Castlevania title, something that couldn't have been solved by just making a new IP.

I guess I just don't understand the assertion that they need to use the same basic plot. I like the new plot, and I like the new spin it puts on things, some of them more so than their old plot counterparts.

I don't think it would have made any difference to the new fanbase Konami was seeking. As a matter of fact I think it might even have sold even better because more of the old CV fanbase would have been less miffed about it. Let's face facts, Konami is in it for the money and appealing to us old fans isn't on their menu any more.

All I can say is that I'm an old fan and it appealed to me. I must be a win/win situation for Konami.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #2668 on: June 08, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
+1
It's a sad fact that no one reads the instruction manual anymore, hence why the booklets are getting shorter and shorter every year(and saving money). Companies are planning on getting rid of instruction manual's altogether in favor of in game tutorials so that little Jimmy wont get frustrated on level 1. So thank "Jimmy Mcdidn't read the manual" for all the handholding in games this generation and beyond.

Jimmy's an asshole. Fuck that little turd
But then again, I bet Jimmy's parents don't read manuals either. I talk to grown ass adults sometime and they ask me (because they know I play games) how to do things in certain games. I tell them, do you have the manual? When they say yes I proceed to answer their questions from the manual. Then I look at them like they're morons while they inevitably respond with an "oh".

But it's worse than that. I was at a friends house and he was having a tough time fighting a boss in Gears of War 2. He'd been at it for two days. He tells me to give it a try so I do. I eradicate the beast in like 2 minutes. He's dumb founded because I'd never played the game or the original before. When he asked me how I knew how to do everything I told him that all the prompts were telling me what to do and I also went into the menu to see the control layout. I got another "oh" and I indeed looked at him like he was a moron. So "gamers" nowadays don't even read the damn prompts on the freakin' screen.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:50:31 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2669 on: June 08, 2012, 06:49:41 PM »
So gamers of today's generation really are idiots with the memory span of a goldfish? Oh, f**k me.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags: .....? 

anything