Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848669 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3735 on: August 21, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »
Which ones? I know that a good amount of Sega CD's FMV games were ports of those crazy arcade games that came on LaserDiscs or something.
I think he means the ones like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. Those were released in the early 80s(probably the first QTE-ancestors in gaming). I'm pretty sure Dragon's Lair came out in 1983, and that totally predates Sega CD.

A lot of guys at NEOGaf are ranting about MoF's gameplay. I find it funny considering how much a lot of them actually loved LoS, but they feel the same gameplay style doesn't work for a 2D(er, 2.5D) CV game(especially, the whole "enemies take 1000 hits to kill", lol).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487905
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:16:52 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3736 on: August 21, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »
GAF's complaints are reasonable, everything they hate about this game is almost exactly what we've been unhappy about ourselves.

Apparently Cox blocked someone from GAF on twitter for questioning him about how slow combat was.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3737 on: August 21, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
GAF's complaints are reasonable, everything they hate about this game is almost exactly what we've been unhappy about ourselves.

Apparently Cox blocked someone from GAF on twitter for questioning him about how slow combat was.

Please tell me your kidding me? How can someone go about doing that? If there is a problem it should be fixed!  >:(

Maybe MS is trying to do too many things. They should keep somethings simple like the crates, chest opening, enemy damage, framerate, Fix these things or at least balance them so everyone and I mean everyone can nod in agreement that it will be a hit, but not this  :-\
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:29:14 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3738 on: August 21, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »
+1

Doesn't shock me at the least tbh. He seems to ignore criticism regardless if it's legit or not, remember the IGN fiasco?

But blocking someone because of a legit concern regarding your game is a dick move, he could have easily ignored it too.

Which leaves me to believe that they have no plans to fix said problems in the final version ( which I could totally see happening ).

Hell at least Hideki Kamiya would reply to you, even though he would tell you to "Fuck off."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:32:45 PM by Kingshango »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3739 on: August 21, 2012, 05:33:58 PM »
Doesn't shock me at the least tbh. He seems to ignore criticism regardless if it's legit or not, remember the IGN fiasco?

But blocking someone because of a legit concern regarding your game is a dick move, he could have easily ignored it too.

Which leaves me to believe that they have no plans to fix said problems in the final version ( which I could totally see happening ).

Yeah I remember that, but still why ignore a legitimate concern? If IGN can be ignorant what do these stunts that Cox's does mean? Sometimes hearing the bad side can push a product foward you just cannot ignore that there are problems in the game, then again what do I know :(  ?

But this is not entirely fact right? It is apparently right?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:38:40 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3740 on: August 21, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
Someone from Gaf got this message from Cox:
"If you play poorly some enemies will take a lot of hits. If you use the combat system well two or three hits should do it."

Something else I've begun to notice from all the gameplay footage from E3 to now is that no one has yet to use synch block countering, which dealt heavy damage especially with shadow magic.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:07:18 PM by Kingshango »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3741 on: August 21, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
I think he means the ones like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. Those were released in the early 80s(probably the first QTE-ancestors in gaming). I'm pretty sure Dragon's Lair came out in 1983, and that totally predates Sega CD.

Bingo. Show the man what he's won!

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3742 on: August 21, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
Something else I've begun to notice from all the gameplay footage from E3 to now is that no one has yet to use synch block countering, which dealt heavy damage especially with shadow magic.

Now that you mention it.... I guess not playing Los or any action game for a while can make one forget  :-[

It is a fighting game engine almost so you got to combo it up. Wow I forgot about that, but still at least I can recall how though those skeletons in LoS were and how they could really take a hit.

For instance in a fighting game just using light attacks will make it seem like the fighting takes forever, but with the specials and ex specials it should not take that long.

You know what screw it..... I am going to wait for the demo to come out on the 3ds shop channel that way I can really understand it and see if those problems are really that much of a hassle and get the feel for the game and then make the ultimate judgement. I love to combo it up afterall :)

I feel like I am jumping way too much to a conclusion I guess I just really wanted to play it badly  :(
(click to show/hide)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3743 on: August 21, 2012, 08:33:34 PM »

I'd say my main complaint about the game is still the chugging framerate. The stuff about the combat I expected. It's still a LoS game after all.

I don't have too much of a problem with smacking enemies a lot because beat-em-ups are among my favorite games ever, so...

Ohhh, okay. I knew about those games, but jeez, 1983...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:08:12 PM by Munchy »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3744 on: August 21, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »
+1

Going through some of the complaints, I get the feeling quite a few people still don't know that Lords of Shadow exists.

That, and while there's some fair points, there's a LOT of over-exaggeration.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:48:46 PM by e105beta »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3745 on: August 22, 2012, 12:28:58 AM »
It still seems a off that there's such a huge difference. Especially since activating shadow magic then countering (assuming you'd have to counter every enemy you encounter to inflict high damage) feels more like a sort of dogmatic routine then, say, just letting the player experiment with the moveset. I know they want to encourage the player to use the system, but it's essentially punishing the player for not playing correctly by making combat duller. It's okay to reward knowledgeable players, but don't revolve the gameplay around it like it'll be the main style of play! (Though maybe the development team actually just has a preference for hp bags.)

You better play well or this chapter's length is going to be padded by a half hour!

ofc this is all assuming from my butt

Offline Kingshango

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3746 on: August 22, 2012, 06:32:50 AM »
Cox regarding the combat and enemies taking several hits to kill
A few people are worried about enemies taking a lot of hits to kill in Mirror of Fate. This is a combat action game... #part one"

"If you use the fighting system as designed, you can take enemies down quickly...using powerful combos that you learn and unlock... #part two"

"Combine with magic and secondary weapons and enemies will fall before your feet. This is the same principle as in Lords of Shadow...#part3"

"If however, you spam the area attack button (the weakest attack in the game, designed for deflecting projectiles and crowd control)...."

"Enemies will take a lot of hits...stands to reason right? Direct attacks with magic and skilful play result in moving forward..."

"Play like a dick and you will either die or look like a dick spamming the button over and over again and enemies will laugh in your face!"

"I hope I have allayed some fears. If you are looking for a Metroidvania game where enemies die with one or two hits...look elsewhere #reboot"

In short, he's saying "Deal with it or move on."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:35:23 AM by Kingshango »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3747 on: August 22, 2012, 06:55:31 AM »
"I hope I have allayed some fears. If you are looking for a Metroidvania game where enemies die with one or two hits...look elsewhere #reboot"

do I sense a bit of condescending tone here?  lol

hay man. it's the fact that Trevor is wailing his CHAIN whip around & skeletons (arguably the weakest of CV minions) don't collapse after what should be a couple swings. I can see if he had the leather whip, but a chain whip should be strong enuff to take them down. this aint ghosts n goblins where a simple zombie is capable of destroying metal armor o.o; poor example i know lol but still

i hope nagumo agrees..

Offline soma555

• Awards
« Reply #3748 on: August 22, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »
+2
Ehhh I'm Sorry but could you confirm This game is Suck because You more hit one enemy??????

Come on! that Demo doesn't show anything more than the E3 one. I don't care if I have to swing whip to attack a bat with 100 hits. Because it's not everything for this game.

I Hope this Game is have something , Something For Castlevania fanboy , Something to change Hater LOS Mind come to Accept this game. I don't want people call "Castlevania Fan" Fighting over it because we haven't yet to see evething in this game.
Please Stop Fighting. I Don't want to see it anymore
OK?

Offline gortaithe

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3749 on: August 22, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »
Ehhh I'm Sorry but could you confirm This game is Suck because You more hit one enemy??????

Come on! that Demo doesn't show anything more than the E3 one. I don't care if I have to swing whip to attack a bat with 100 hits. Because it's not everything for this game.

I Hope this Game is have something , Something For Castlevania fanboy , Something to change Hater LOS Mind come to Accept this game. I don't want people call "Castlevania Fan" Fighting over it because we haven't yet to see evething in this game.
Please Stop Fighting. I Don't want to see it anymore
OK?

well said sir/ma'am!! i am very excited for this game. and you're exactly right. we still don't know everything yet and so many fighting over it. i just lurk this thread now for perhaps a nibble of news...

Tags: .....? 

anything