Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848881 times)

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #5250 on: March 07, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »
+7
I originally replied to the Tweet, but deleted it after I realized he's already done with the games he plans to work on. After LoS2, he's gone, so no point in trying to bitch him out by now.

Although I am a bit sickened by all the gushing the LoS fanboys are giving him. No constructive critiques?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5251 on: March 07, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »
+3
He is blatantly telling him no. The analogy made that very clear.

And you all can -1 me all you want, as you lap up every thing that is shat out in front of you without self control. So starved for a game you'll take anything at this point. Just because it's the only thing available doesn't mean it's gold.

I will take SCIV (which LoS is not like despite Cox's claims) over both LoS and MoF any day. The difference is as clear as a horrible night and the morning sun.

At least I'll get some tribute tracks, a truly badass Simon Belmont, and solid action that doesn't drop to 15 fps when an enemy shows up on screen. I'm still playing, loving, and discovering new things about SCIV nearly 22 years later. Will you be playing MoF next year even?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5252 on: March 07, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
+4
Incredible, I dont know how they could -1 you, Cox has really been harsh without a visible reason this time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:17:43 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5253 on: March 07, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »
+3
the identity of what castlevania is is a really weird thing, because when you say something like: sotn's success was an unfortunate snowball because it was a sidestory that deviated, you can compare that to what lords of shadow is attempting.

with the lords of shadow title attached to mirror of fate, the lords series is arguably resigned to being its own sidestory. of course, it was always its own thing. it is an attempt to revitalize the franchise, but its methods of doing so are un-castlevania by a large number of people too. cox himself has said countless times to forget the old castlevania. mercurysteam is supplanting new elements into the franchise with lords of shadow, and trying to create its own snowball of a different direction.

so basically, the team is trying to do the same thing cox bemoaned about with sotn.

what i am ultimately saying is that we should stop sidestepping the problem, castlevania has always been flawed from its base. the true successor of the series is the forgotten kid dracula.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5254 on: March 07, 2013, 07:25:37 PM »
Actually, one of the songs from The Dark Knight Rises had the motif of Danny Elfman's Batman.
somedody wants to break Cox's bubble?

Everything comes full circle

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #5255 on: March 07, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »
+2
I do want, but I dislike twitter xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline meanguyjones

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5256 on: March 07, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »
He is blatantly telling him no. The analogy made that very clear.

And you all can -1 me all you want, as you lap up every thing that is shat out in front of you without self control. So starved for a game you'll take anything at this point. Just because it's the only thing available doesn't mean it's gold.

I will take SCIV (which LoS is not like despite Cox's claims) over both LoS and MoF any day. The difference is as clear as a horrible night and the morning sun.

At least I'll get some tribute tracks, a truly badass Simon Belmont, and solid action that doesn't drop to 15 fps when an enemy shows up on screen. I'm still playing, loving, and discovering new things about SCIV nearly 22 years later. Will you be playing MoF next year even?

Yeah, I will. Was pretty fun. You should give it a shot, you might like it.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #5257 on: March 07, 2013, 08:14:14 PM »
I gave the demo a shot, and I found crappy framerate.

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5258 on: March 07, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »
No manuals at all.

The euro version comes with a tiny manual.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5259 on: March 07, 2013, 09:03:05 PM »
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Made by Japs, loads of replayability, more entertaining than watching a paraplegic drowning amidst a pod of dolphins, same formula as the last 12 games, and gets high ratings.

I was planning on buying MoF, but I think FE will keep me busy for quite a while and more than satisfy me.

BUT WHERE THE FUCK IS THE DEMO?! Every time I log in to Nintendo Zone or whatever i don't see it.
*checks again*

If slowdown is such a big issue in this game, I think Mercury Steam just doesn't know how to program, although slowdown has always been an issue even for veteran programmers, so I won't hold it against them until I see it to what extent for myself.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5260 on: March 08, 2013, 12:37:02 AM »
Can't always judge the game proper on just the demo. After all, Sonic 06's demo was a completely different build to the final game. Sometimes the demo is also just a specific section of the game, ripped from the game and packaged together with the loose ends tied up. i couldnt say much since I dont even have a 3DS, but isn't the demo the same demo that has been around in conventions and shit and displayed in videos? On that note, have we actually decided on the digital vs retail copy of the game causing more or less slowdown?

Just sayin', since a demo can't really tell you how the full game will be.

Ever consider some folk's are not so "starved that they will accept anything" and just I dunno, LIKE the game? And people are not calling it gold, (at least I ain't, dunno bout the reviews, but I don't really tend to care about them much)

You seem ridiculously bitter over this game. I don't see people complaining this much over slowdown in the Nesvanias. If there's slowdown I would have to attribute it to trying to cram too many elements that it strains the system, the system itself maybe, or the fact that according to cox they built the game in HD console form and then 'scaled it down" for the 3DS. (which sounds like ripe grounds for slowdown to happen, and can attribute to the "straining the system" part)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:41:10 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5261 on: March 08, 2013, 02:31:16 AM »
+1
Whee~~~ Just got my 3ds xl (i got the red one) + the MoF game today.
I just realized that my eyes can't handle 3d... so I have to turn it off. /sob
I'd probably start playing tomorrow.

By the way, to those who played the game is there any difference in the difficulty aside from the enemies need more hits to defeat at hard?

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5262 on: March 08, 2013, 02:42:44 AM »
About metroidvanias, the problem was that they were copy paste each other in a big amount and that they were coming out, almost one game each year. I would rather wait 2 years? to get a new game, giving this way the time to whoever was making it, to make new graphics/sprites, work the scenario/music and have something fresh. The only game that was going in that direction, was OoE, but still it was having it's flaws.

Now, about MoF, what i really love, is only one thing, the bestiary. I like how the enemies/bosses are presented there, with animations, something that i have seen again only at Aria of Sorrow.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5263 on: March 08, 2013, 06:18:43 AM »
There's a new four panel comic at the Japanese MoF website.  :-X

Offline meanguyjones

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5264 on: March 08, 2013, 08:05:14 AM »

The demo is pretty shitty, the full game runs smoother. I still say its worth a try for you when the price is lowered, you might be surprised.

As for Cox and MS being apathetic towards the legacy of the series, I think you'll be surprised at how well they treated it in MoF. The entire game, LoS combat aside, is like a love letter to classic games.

Tags: .....?