Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Any Details on new DS title yet?  (Read 47622 times)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2007, 07:10:55 PM »
Wow, some of you guys are priceless.  Many of your comments make it painfully obvious that you're not even really reading the posts, which means you're chiming in on this topic just to boost your own egos.

Yeah I am but I can read  between the lines, you like XX better so your trying to convince others that it could replace rondo, why else would you go to such lengths to try and prove this if you like Rondo better? I along with others just want the thread to get back on track if the thread was about PC engine rondo vs Dracula XX ther'd be no reason for us to chime in.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Wolfman
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Any Details on new DS title yet?
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2007, 07:54:04 PM »
In Reply To #106

You're reading what isn't there, The Last Belmont.  You ask why would I defend something that I don't like as much as something else?  I ask you, why shouldn't I?  Should I only defend the things I like or agree with?  Shouldn't we defend, blind of our own preferences and prejudices?  That is a very hard concept for many people to understand, and is probably why a majority of people here are so damned confused about my position.

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »
In the end....

who cares?

Oh btw:

A second dracula's castle in dracula xx once you reach the final level? Could it be... an alternate reality? *gasp* :o :o ;D

*facepalm*
I guess that's the Castlevania budget for you...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:05:54 PM by Azmodan »
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline Thaddeus

• Sensitive Iga-basher
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »
I remember pointing out this glitch over the old forum a very long time ago. I also made the discovery while hacking Dracula XX that, in one of the stair weapons throw frames the 8x8 tiles on Richter's head is replaced with the ball of his morning star. You have to be quick to catch it, but it's there. I thought my ROM was corrupt, so I fired up the SNES cart and the glitch is actually in the game!!

Offline Thaddeus

• Sensitive Iga-basher
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2007, 08:51:45 PM »
In case nobody has seen it:

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2007, 11:49:53 PM »
In Reply To #110

Konami Quality Control in action!  Are there any graphic data dumps of DXX out there?  It would be interesting to know if that background in Stage 7 is sheer laziness or a programming f-up.  Yeah, it's sad either way.

Offline sonicabid

• Yakuza is beast
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Buy and play the Yakuza games
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2007, 10:25:25 AM »
In Reply To #110

Pshhh hahahaha. Just add this to the list of many things that makes Richter tough as nails!

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2007, 12:27:45 AM »
Konami Quality Control in action!  Are there any graphic data dumps of DXX out there?  It would be interesting to know if that background in Stage 7 is sheer laziness or a programming f-up.  Yeah, it's sad either way.

It's fucking stupidity. And it's Nagoya's fault. Not Konami in general. Nagoya struck out three times with Castlevania: DXX, Legends, and Saturn Symphony (although the last one was a good effort). Don't drag Konami down. They have a long history of making very high quality and popular games.

Also, here's another visual representation of why DXX is *WRONG*:

This doesn't look even REMOTELY like the throne room in Rondo/SotN/DXC.

- John

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2007, 02:48:43 AM »
In Reply To #113

Konami, in general, can still really phone it in from time to time, and not just on Nagoya's watch.  You should see some of the forehead-slapping mistakes KCET has let slip through into the Bemani games, DDR in particular.

As for the way Dracula's throne room looks in DXX, that's way more forgivable than a morning star stuck on Richter's head or the castle map screen being used as the background for part of the castle itself.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2007, 03:50:51 AM »
Personally speaking, it was good to purchase and play Vampire's Kiss when Rondo of Blood was unavailable, outside of importing.

Offline Thaddeus

• Sensitive Iga-basher
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2007, 05:13:07 AM »
Personally I never really cared much for either game, because in my view they felt de-evolved from Super Castlevania 4's awesome mechanics, dark, moody atmosphere, and beautifully composed soundtrack.

I always hated playing as Richter and being juggled across the screen by a low-level bat or medusa head. Very frustrating to lose half your life because you can't utilize your whip to kill an enemy that can attack you from the air. While Rondo isn't as bad, the SNES game was HORRIBLE with regard to this.

At least with the NES games that moment of invincibility between hits helped to compensate for bad control.

I also hated XX's bright and vibrant graphics, compared to the more darker graphics of Super Castlevania 4 and even Bloodlines.

In my view the anime in Rondo only helped detract from the feel of Castlevania, but XX's 'art' (if you want to call it that) was just nauseating.

When I think of Castlevania I think of a dark, morbid, lifeless and depressing place, and Dracula X just doesn't evoke that feeling in me the way other games in the series do.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 05:14:39 AM by Thaddeus »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2007, 10:25:30 AM »
In Reply To #116

I liked RoB's anime characters. They had that "old school 80s anime" feel to them, even though RoB was a 90s game. Dracula XX, for some reason, I've always thought the art, though being very good, made the characters look like they'd be from a Tim Burton movie.

And I disagree regarding RoB's music and SCV4's music. IMO, RoB's music was way more up the scale in quality and overall songs. I didn't care for SCV4's music. A lot of the songs, IMO, were just so damn annoying(urg, I HATE the Treasury song with a vengeance) and the synthing was super artificial sounding.

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2007, 10:39:43 AM »
In Reply To #117

Super Castlevania IV's music is very moody and atmospheric, tying in very well with the game's overall gothic presentation.  Rondo has good music too, but it is much more "peppy" by comparison.  SCIV has more ambiance, while Rondo has more energy.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2007, 11:46:23 AM »
In Reply To #118

I prefer the music of Rondo, just because I prefer more 'energetic' pieces. But Rondo had all of the best classics songs like Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, The Beginning, and it introduced Bloodlines and Illusionary Dance.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »
In Reply To #118
Had it been of better synth quality, I might've felt different, but yeah, even though I know it's an early gen SNES game and a lot of games from that area had almost NES-quality synthing, I just can't get into it. It gets under my skin, and not in a good way. It's like gleeps and gloops, like some synthisizer tracks that might come out of a horror film in the early(VERY early) 80s. A few other tracks sound straight out of the 70s, and some(like the caven with the water drips) sound more like something that you'd hear in an RPG than the CV series. But yeah, the two songs that get on my nerves the most are the area of the water ruins where the blocks are falling from the sky(that's ear grating music!!), and the treasury.

And yeah, I love energetic tracks. The pulse pounding gets the tempo of the battle up. But some ambient songs are good too. It just, the synthing has to do the ambience justice.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 01:11:33 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Tags:

anything