Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Custom Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse action figures. Finished Project.  (Read 8280 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I finally finished up my custom line of Cv3 action figures.  I tried to make them all in the style of the NECA Player Select Castlevania line.  I decided to go with the 3 main characters, minus Alucard given that he already has an official figure.  And 2 bosses, I went for 2 visually interesting characters, Medusa and Leviathan.  I have posted Trevor and Medusa here before, but I have updated them since then.

I'll start with Trevor Belmont, because he is the star of the game.  I started with the image of Trevor from the american Cv3 box art, seen here.

I wanted to stick very close to that look but decided to change out the leather whip for the chain morning star.  I also added in all the sub weapons and other minor accessories that made sense.  Hope you guys like it.

Here he is with his cape.

A close up on the sub weapons.

Next up is Grant DaNasty, because he was always my favorite of the 3 possible team mates.  I started here with this piece of artwork, which was also used for Grant's SoTN appearance.

From there I adapted the concept to an aesthetic more in line with a 15th century resistance militia.  Switching out the slippers for boots, and the bracelets for forearm guards.  I gave him two gnarly daggers, a slew of throwing knives, and some rope to help him climb around

Grant also likes axes.

With Sypha I didn't start with any specific art work or sprite.  I just went with the overall basic design of the character, adapting it to the aesthetic of the other figures and what I had available to work with.  I also wanted to make her a little bit androgynous, given the way she hides her true gender in the game. I wanted to give represent all of her abilities but I couldn't find a good ice accessory.

Channeling her inner Hermoine.

Next up is Medusa.  I went with a more savage look than what is customary in the series.  But I did stick to the "Clash of the Titans" type half snake woman.  This is one I may one day update more to make it more specific to her depiction in Dracula's curse.

Finally Leviathan.  This is the biggest custom figure I have ever made.  If this was an official line, he would have to be a build-a-figure.  I was pretty happy with how he came out.  I tried to make him as true to the original sprite as I could.

Final 2 group shots.

That's it.  I'm already through a series 2 focusing on playable female characters.  And getting stared on a boss focused series 3.  I can post some teasers if anyone is interested.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I love everything except Sypha's sandals.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Same opinion as Jorge, plus I think Medusa could use a bow like she has on CVIII. Also, when you put Leviathan next to Dracula, it really shows how big he is, which I love.

And Simon is just there, photobombing the team.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Laviathen looks bad@$$! Although his snout is a bit too short and rounded. His head is actually more like that of Satan's goat head. Other then that he's tough as they come. Sypha's design I feel is too much of a departure. She looks good, but just not quite like her CVIII sprite. Although I guess you made her that way so you could put in more detail then the robe look would have allowed for. Do you have anymore on the make? It seems you've been busy!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
I'm kinda wondering if you used an Assassin's Creed figure as a base for Sypha.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I'm kinda wondering if you used an Assassin's Creed figure as a base for Sypha.

Looks like AC to me. I see the hidden blade gauntlet~!
I'm also not digging the sandals.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
These are awesome  :o

Are you going to add the Devil Forgemasters from Curse of Darkness?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
I love everything except Sypha's sandals.

Yeah... the sandals are pretty rough.  That was a rushed thing, I entered her into a contest at figurerealm.com and never found good feet to use.  So I whipped those things together with card board, paint, and string on the last day to enter.  I'll definitely come back to them eventually.

Glad you loved everything else though!.  ;D

I think Medusa could use a bow like she has on CVIII.

I have been looking for a good bow, but I don't want to spend like $30 on a figure I don't want just for the bow.  This is actually the major thing I had in mind when I mentioned possibly altering her in the future to be more specific to Castlevania 3.

when you put Leviathan next to Dracula, it really shows how big he is, which I love.

You know that picture actually doesn't even show off how big he really is.  The angle makes him look a little smaller.  He is massive, I will post better comparison pics later.

And Simon is just there, photobombing the team.
That actually wasn't on purpose lol.  But I love it so didn't re-do the pic.

Laviathen looks bad@$$! Although his snout is a bit too short and rounded. His head is actually more like that of Satan's goat head. Other then that he's tough as they come.

I'm glad you like him!  I did want to make his snout longer, but the best head I could find is the one you see here.  I had to cut it up and mold around it a decent amount, but I do love how it turned out, even if it is a little bit short snouted.

Sypha's design I feel is too much of a departure. She looks good, but just not quite like her CVIII sprite. Although I guess you made her that way so you could put in more detail then the robe look would have allowed for.

It actually had more to do with what I had available to make her with.  As some have guessed, it was an Assassin's creed figure.  I liked it because it felt more like something tactical, but still in the vein of the classic mage archetype Sypha fit into.  I wanted it to look like Sypha, but a bit grittier, like she was expecting to run into some tough shit.

These are awesome  :o

Are you going to add the Devil Forgemasters from Curse of Darkness?

I would love to do an Isaac, and Hector too.  But their character designs are so specific and original that it will be pretty difficult to find the right base figures and parts.  Same goes for Shanoa, which sucks because like Isaac she is one of the characters I would most like a figure for.

Glad you like what I've made so far.

Do you have anymore on the make? It seems you've been busy!

I do have 1 more finished figure, 1 that's about halfway done, and 2 that are in the beginning phase.  I'll post some pics up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:03:21 PM by AlexCalvo »

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Sweet  :)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
So here is an about 50% complete Sonia Belmont, most of what I have left to do is painting. I purposefully moved away from the stripper light aesthetic from her official artwork, wanted to make her look more tactical.

And a quick tease of the two I am just starting on. Any guesses?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Custom Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse action figures. Finished Project.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »
Sonia doesn't look all that bad. Interesting choice for her outfit. Although her whip should look like the one Trevor has. And I'll make the assumption that you're working on Slogra next.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »
Great stuff!! I especially love Trevor.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
All these figures look fucking beautiful!! Really like your take on Sonia as well!

Tags: