Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1104046 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1800 on: May 19, 2017, 04:10:37 PM »
What's good y'all?

Right here is my revised Simon sprite for my CV2 remake. It's meant to emulate the custom spritework of SmithyGCN, such as this, this, and this.

I'd appreciate any feedback, especially on any parts of him that look particularly weird.

Muheyy, this is pretty cool.
His stance reminds of John Morris from Bloodlines.
Actually a lot of him reminds of John Morris.
Are you gonna have more animations?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1801 on: May 29, 2017, 01:19:38 AM »

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1802 on: May 29, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »
A thing I made few days ago out of boredom, I don't think it can fit into any game without looking like a giant.
Basicaly Chronicles Simon meets original Simon.
I might put it on Photobucket and share link later.
Allthough, for some reason, it takes like half an hour to upload a single picture, so I'm not in the mood ATM.

At the moment posture is off, or maybe it's just me.
Dunno.
-Legs look wrong(since I'm used to characters with actual pants, probably, dunno.
-Also frontmost hand seems kinda too long.
I'd like to hear what you people think about lighting, since it seems kinda inconsistent to me.

Some other things to note:
-I'll probably change his frontmost hand's gloves to have kind of a thing to put Materialize Cube/Cube of Zoe.
I mean, sure it's just videogame logic, but it kinda bothered me sometimes, where the fuck does Simon keep like 60 axes.
It makes kinda more sense to me that Materialize Cube duplicates his subweapons.
But oh well, it's just me trying to beat sense into nonsense with more nonsense.
Crap, I got off-topic.
-I'll try to make his skirt thingy better.
I still have no fucking clue about what to do with it though.

Also, I'm not frequent on forums, is it okay if I swear, but it isn't directed at anyone?
Gotta get away

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1803 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »
Looking good~

I would say welcome to the forum, but it looks like you've already been here for a couple of years. (and yes swearing is fine, just be sure to use moderation like you would in any other place. "fuckfuckfuckfuck" is pretty annoying.)

Good sprite! It reminds me of my older stuff, almost exactly. I think the most obvious issue is the anatomy. The proportions are odd and the angles of the appendages look very uncomfortable. In short, the legs aren't long enough and need to be in a more dynamic pose, and the right arm (his left) needs to be pulled back a little closer to our body. And a minor issue, the colours chosen make him look more like a boss/miniboss than a main character (if that makes sense?).

Is this your first sprite of this size?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Holy Diver

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1804 on: May 30, 2017, 09:51:14 AM »
Well, kind of.
The only sprite I did in this size was that Richter I posted around last summer and that one wasn't exactly godawful, but it was far from finished.
In the meantime I mostly focused on 8 bit sprites, which are obviously smaller.
Would chosing colors that are more contrasting and less grayish make him look more like a protagonist?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:58:37 AM by Undead Waiter »
Gotta get away

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1805 on: May 30, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »
Would chosing colors that are more contrasting and less grayish make him look more like a protagonist?

Definitely. An overall more contrasting colour scheme would help as well.

Also,

It really does suck. Has literally no redeemable qualities.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:57:04 PM by Bloo »
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1806 on: May 30, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »
A thing I made few days ago out of boredom, I don't think it can fit into any game without looking like a giant.
Basicaly Chronicles Simon meets original Simon.
I might put it on Photobucket and share link later.
Allthough, for some reason, it takes like half an hour to upload a single picture, so I'm not in the mood ATM.

At the moment posture is off, or maybe it's just me.
Dunno.
-Legs look wrong(since I'm used to characters with actual pants, probably, dunno.
-Also frontmost hand seems kinda too long.
I'd like to hear what you people think about lighting, since it seems kinda inconsistent to me.

Some other things to note:
-I'll probably change his frontmost hand's gloves to have kind of a thing to put Materialize Cube/Cube of Zoe.
I mean, sure it's just videogame logic, but it kinda bothered me sometimes, where the fuck does Simon keep like 60 axes.
It makes kinda more sense to me that Materialize Cube duplicates his subweapons.
But oh well, it's just me trying to beat sense into nonsense with more nonsense.
Crap, I got off-topic.
-I'll try to make his skirt thingy better.
I still have no fucking clue about what to do with it though.

Also, I'm not frequent on forums, is it okay if I swear, but it isn't directed at anyone?
First of all, love the sprite - I'd agree with the past few post that a more contrasting color scheme (not necessarily brighter) would bring more life to the sprite.

I have a few addition suggestions myself:
-Simon's feet seem very thick, I think you should flatten them a little more onto the ground, as well as making them slimmer. They just looking a little clunky.
-The arm that is farther from the camera seems way too long. With respect to perspective, it would be much longer than the arm in the front. I also think it should be a little bulkier. It just generally seems like a different person's hand at the moment.
-This may just be the outfit you had in mind, but the accents on each of Simon's gauntlets are different colors.
-Simon's thighs seem like they begin way too low and his torso is very tall. I think you would benefit greatly by starting your sprites with a skeleton so that you'd have a reference for Simon's proportions.

So in general it's a great sprite, there just seems to be a few common errors, mainly based on proportion.

Offline Holy Diver

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1807 on: May 31, 2017, 03:07:50 AM »
@ronny14
Thanks, your Simon sprite looks lovely also.
Though, I can't really give any constructive criticism, since I don't really draw or sprite chibis.
About your critique:
Well, you're right, it's about time I started using skeletons and bases.
Most of the time when I draw, I just draw complete parts and put them together.
For instance, when I draw humans I mostly start with eyes and nose, put some hair, then the remaining parts of face, then neck, jacket... and I correct proportions later.
It's not fitting and I've tried to force myself into making bases a few times, but I never really succeded.
About the gauntlet, as I said in the post I wanted to put some more details to it and make it have Cube of Zoe on it(the one on his right hand is suposed to be an armguard), but now that I think about it, it seems unecessary and Simon's clothing combo is already pretty non-simetric as is, so yeah, I'll put making the gauntlet into an armguard on to-do list also.

@Bloo
Wat is dat chair even? 0__0
Gotta get away

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1808 on: May 31, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
So all its going well, trying new things and working in nice creatures

(click to show/hide)

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Third Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1809 on: June 06, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »
Your sprite art is pretty good Jop, It's amazing the way you ported Soma from AoS to DoS. ;D

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1810 on: June 09, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »
Your sprite art is pretty good Jop, It's amazing the way you ported Soma from AoS to DoS. ;D

Thanks!

here is a little more:
(click to show/hide)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1811 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »
OKAY, It's still a little rough, but I think I'm getting animation down more, practicing new techniques.

UPDATE, Refined the animation a bit more.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:23:40 AM by KaZudra »

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1812 on: June 14, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1813 on: June 14, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »

That looks very pillowshaded and has almost no depth. The previous version looks much better.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1814 on: June 16, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »
That looks very pillowshaded and has almost no depth. The previous version looks much better.

Come to think of it, it does. Improvement? Be as highly critical as possible, haven't done this in a while so very rusty, hiatuses are a real bitch.