Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: IGA's new project finally teased at PAX?  (Read 53687 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: IGA's new project finally teased at PAX?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2014, 07:22:20 PM »

I'm not so sure. I think Alucard from Hellsing might have been officially trademarked as "Arucard" to avoid conflicting with Konami. (At least I know for figures and things in the past he's been advertised as "Arucard") But I'm not sure. Konami could have a trademark on "Alucard" as related to games. But since the player character in the poster is just referred to as "Alchemist" I don't think it matters too much
The name Alucard can't be copyrighted. For one, the concept and name comes from the Lon Chaney Jr film, Son of Dracula, which is public domain by now, along with the original. Alucard is a OH SO CLEVER idea because it's Dracula Backwards. CV Alucard is VERY much inspired by the film son of Dracula, except he actually is the son of Dracula, where the movie has it just as Dracula in disguise.

Hellsing Alucard IS Dracula, which actually brings it much more in line with the movie.

Either way, Arucard is because the Japanese cannot into L's. Same way you might see Dracula spelled and or pronounced Dracura
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »
The name Alucard can't be copyrighted. For one, the concept and name comes from the Lon Chaney Jr film, Son of Dracula, which is public domain by now, along with the original. Alucard is a OH SO CLEVER idea because it's Dracula Backwards. CV Alucard is VERY much inspired by the film son of Dracula, except he actually is the son of Dracula, where the movie has it just as Dracula in disguise.

Hellsing Alucard IS Dracula, which actually brings it much more in line with the movie.

Either way, Arucard is because the Japanese cannot into L's. Same way you might see Dracula spelled and or pronounced Dracura

Nah Son of Dracula isn't in the public domain. Universal managed to renew the copyrights to it continually over the years and with a "reboot" coming you can expect it and the rest of Universal's classic monster movies to remain in copyright until after we're all dead. There are a lot of films from before during and after that time that are in the public domain, but most of them were either A.) Allowed to lapse into it because home video didn't exist and they were probably just forgotten about for decades. or B.) They were never copyrighted in the first place. Usually because they were quick cheapies and/or foreign films that it wouldn't have made sense to go to the trouble of copyrighting them at the time. This is why a lot of 70s Hong Kong kung fu movies are public domain. Or simply because of clerical errors like what happened with "Night of the Living Dead"

On the other hand the Universal monster movies have the unique position of having been near-consistently popular for about 4 or 5 decades. Universal's 1931 Dracula was already a beloved classic when Hammer "reimagined" it in 1958. Having (along with most of the rest of Universal's monster movies) found new popularity with TV re-runs in the 1950s.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:27:08 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »
Alucard is Alucard in the Hellsing manga. Not sure why the subtitles for both anime series officially type it as Arucard, but in the English dub he's Alucard, SOOOO, I dunno.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 04:18:17 PM »
I know of at least one character in another game that has nothing to do with Konami who is named Alucard... and is a vampire.

And I found that BlazeBlue has a character named Rachel Alucard.

And there is no record of a trademark for Alucard in the database at www.uspto.gov/trademarks/
"Stuff and things."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
Nah Son of Dracula isn't in the public domain. Universal managed to renew the copyrights to it continually over the years and with a "reboot" coming you can expect it and the rest of Universal's classic monster movies to remain in copyright until after we're all dead.

Anything prior to 1964 had something like 28 years of protection and required renewal to get another 28 years.
Another copyright act extended the second term to 50-something years for a total of 75 years.
Copyright Act of 1998 basically renders copyright renewal as nothing more than an optional formality.
Anything made in 1964 or after now has a maximum copyright protection term of 95 years.
So they will loose the copyright of the old films before we die.
Any new movies are a different story.

EDIT: shit, double posted. :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:36:44 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »
+1
Anyway, I doubt Alucard name will even be used on this new game so... :)

I'm so fucking hyped, I was waiting for something from him for so long. If he can get Conception and IntiCreates to make his new game... hnnng!!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »
I dunno. Iga said more than once that he is going to give his fans what they want.
Could you imagine if he actually did the 1999 game, but from the point of view of a new character with no direct mention of the Belmonts?
^Those are the words to my specialty Castlevania Fan Hype spell. Hype, hype, hype, hype, HYPE!!  ;D
"Stuff and things."

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
I dunno. Iga said more than once that he is going to give his fans what they want.
Could you imagine if he actually did the 1999 game, but from the point of view of a new character with no direct mention of the Belmonts?
^Those are the words to my specialty Castlevania Fan Hype spell. Hype, hype, hype, hype, HYPE!!  ;D

Indeed, that would be very interesting... I mean, the 1999 Wars is no copyrighted by Konami, isn´t? Its only mentions that I remember is in the Aria of Sorrow game, but I can´t see the R for Registered in the 1999 war mention...

...So, I believe that a 1999 game is possible...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:05:49 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 06:38:49 PM »
Nah, he won't even mention Castlevania anymore. Maybe as a cameo, if Konami gives authorization.

You guys need to understand that he got out of Konami to work on games that his fans wanted (metroidvania). That doesn't mean that he'll do a Castlevania, just a game that's similar enough. The history will be completely different. It will be a new ip after all.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »
+1

You guys need to understand that he got out of Konami to work on games that his fans wanted (metroidvania). That doesn't mean that he'll do a Castlevania, just a game that's similar enough. The history will be completely different. It will be a new ip after all.

I think people understand full well that he will not being doing a Castlevania game completely, but there is the likely chance that he will use elements from the CV series for his game whether that be a creepy castle, the name alucard, Dracula and vampires,zombies,ghosts, or even having a game take place within the 1999 lunar eclipse.

All those elements are not trademarked by Konami and he could very well use any number of them if he chose, obviously the history is going to be different since this is a new IP, but that does not mean the game can't feel very castlevania'like aesthetically,story and gameplay wise.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
I think people understand full well that he will not being doing a Castlevania game completely, but there is the likely chance that he will use elements from the CV series for his game whether that be a creepy castle, the name alucard, Dracula and vampires,zombies,ghosts, or even having a game take place within the 1999 lunar eclipse.

All those elements are not trademarked by Konami and he could very well use any number of them if he chose, obviously the history is going to be different since this is a new IP, but that does not mean the game can't feel very castlevania'like aesthetically,story and gameplay wise.

Totally agree.

I take Mighty No. 9 example. Is Inafune first project? It takes A LOT of the classic Megaman elements (8 robot masters, platforming, appareance, music style, gameplay... Even a Proto Man and Roll-like characters).

I join all of the ones who wants a Castlevania-esque game. After all, the image at the begining of this thread indicates something like the Castlevania ambience... Even if is fake...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »
+4
I hope he keeps whips in it...heroes with whips.  I like heroes with whips.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2014, 08:14:12 PM »
Alucard is Alucard in the Hellsing manga. Not sure why the subtitles for both anime series officially type it as Arucard, but in the English dub he's Alucard, SOOOO, I dunno.

It's also officially "Arucard" on at least some of the merchandise. I've got the bust that came with the special edition of the first Ultimate DVD and it's got "ARUCARD" emblazoned down the side of the box in big dumb letters. Kind of a sucky wall plaque TBH, the Andersson one was much better. They never released the 3rd one in the states but I'd be kind of uncomfortable with hanging the Major with a big swastika behind him on my wall anyways.

Anything prior to 1964 had something like 28 years of protection and required renewal to get another 28 years.
Another copyright act extended the second term to 50-something years for a total of 75 years.
Copyright Act of 1998 basically renders copyright renewal as nothing more than an optional formality.
Anything made in 1964 or after now has a maximum copyright protection term of 95 years.
So they will loose the copyright of the old films before we die.
Any new movies are a different story.

EDIT: shit, double posted. :P

But then shouldn't the original Dracula and Frankenstein both be in the public domain now? They're like 83 years old. Also cool to hear Alucard isn't trademarked, at least in the US. Could be that they just branded Hellsing's Alucard as "Arucard" so the Japanese could pronounce it. Then people decided the Japanese pronunciation was "better" like the people who insist on calling Guts from Berserk "Gatts" or "Gattsu"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:21:34 PM by Ratty »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
No Castlevania at next TGS, apparently.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
People will have to wait a bit for the next Castlevania project from Konami, it can take a few years of development.

Specially if it's being made by Kojima or does have his involvement somehow (he has MGS V and Silent Hills after that to work after all). Maybe another oversee role.

Tags:

anything