Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 1045344 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #2535 on: June 07, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »
The ship reminded me of Dracula X Chronicles.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #2536 on: June 07, 2016, 10:53:59 PM »
The new music has a STRONG CoD influence. And that's good.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2537 on: June 07, 2016, 11:32:39 PM »
I love this development!  ;D
And yay for floaty jumps since Miriam isn't 100% human. You can always blame the shards.

I would also like to hear the reviews coming from the demo when it releases on June 13.
5 days to go~

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2538 on: June 07, 2016, 11:59:25 PM »
I've heard an interesting argument against floaty jumps that the less floaty jumps in the later Metroidvania installments can give you better DPS via land-canceling. While I personally don't rely on it too much to feel too strongly about it, it does mean one nerfed strat for speedrunners.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2539 on: June 08, 2016, 07:02:24 AM »
Floaty jumps are better, especially for someone with powers like Miriam.   the demo looks like they have the gravity balanced well.  let's not act like the jumps are SSB space walk floaty or something.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/08/bloodstained-gets-new-gameplay-footage-will-playable-e3-2016/

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/bloodstained-playable-e3-2016-new-video

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229657

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VKfthxb4t8

It is very interesting the adventure starts on a ship.  That's actually very awesome.

commonly in IGAvanias, they either make their start:

*running or riding horse into the castle entrance

*idle chat and walking/jogging towards the castle

*starting in some building, chatting, before going out and going to all these places and boss fights, before looooong after finally the castle appears.

So it's great Miriam is getting a ship ride to the castle.  the ship itself can count as the tutorial, while feeling a natural part of the world and plot progression. 

there is a massive castle to explore, the largest in IGAvania history, so the rest of the map making would be the castle itself.     I think with how massive their castle plans are, they saw that they have room to make the start take place on a ship right before arriving at the castle.  It is a very creative and refreshing start from previous IGAvanias,
and even in classic Castlevanias, stages with ships usually are more of a side thing rather than used for an opening stage. 

So it's really cool how they designed the playthrough starting on a ship this time. It also kinda symbolizes how the IGAvania legacy has left on a ship towards a new world.   

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night could have the greatest castle ever.   It's so great the vast majority of it takes place in the castle itself without any gimmicks (like POR's painting worlds, which actually took away from the actual castle's size).   there's practically no castle to date that rivals SOTN castle as a whole, and the amount of content, variety of castle themed sections, level design, and bosses within,   but ROTN can surpass it.   

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2540 on: June 08, 2016, 07:23:11 AM »
I just hope that "IGAs biggest castle" doesn't mean too many recycled backgrounds or repeating rooms/corridors. Making a big castle is not the hard part, but making it varied and interesting to explore is. In whatever design document they have, I hope it says "MAKE EACH AREA OF THE CASTLE FEEL UNIQUE".

Also; Lots of secrets, hidden passages and breakable walls plz.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2541 on: June 08, 2016, 07:28:47 AM »
You also have to remember Miriam's jump height needs to be exaggerated because this is the first IGAvania ever being played on a widescreen. It's gonna feel just like the DSVanias.

I wanna see my girl use a whip already, we've only seen her kicking and jumping, but no weapons yet. I forgot to mention in my last post it made me smile seeing those blue lanterns. Candle whipping confirmed?

2017 October release, who wants to bet on it?

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2542 on: June 08, 2016, 08:34:47 AM »
I am so excited for that demo!  Literally going to get Steam just to play it (my PC isn't really suited for gaming).

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2543 on: June 08, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
Let's just hope ROTN isn't rotten...  8)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2544 on: June 08, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
I wanna see my girl use a whip already, we've only seen her kicking and jumping, but no weapons yet.

I want to see a whip too. But we've already seen her using a sword. It was in one of the earlier tech demos that IGA was demonstrating.

I just hope that "IGAs biggest castle" doesn't mean too many recycled backgrounds or repeating rooms/corridors. Making a big castle is not the hard part, but making it varied and interesting to explore is. In whatever design document they have, I hope it says "MAKE EACH AREA OF THE CASTLE FEEL UNIQUE".

Also; Lots of secrets, hidden passages and breakable walls plz.

Of god this. So much this. Repetitive corridors in a very large castle will start to get very monotonous very fast. It definitely needs to be like SotN where many sections of the castle were unique enough to keep the player's attention. That, and out dorr environments will also help greatly.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2545 on: June 08, 2016, 09:58:25 AM »
Hopefully Miriam can get her hands on a whip sword like soma has in Aria.

:-)
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2546 on: June 08, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »
I felt like reading a couple of the first pages of this thread, man how far we've come. I forgot it all started with this;

And the game ended up visually looking a lot better and more Castlevania than the initial two pieces of teaser art

All in a year, kinda amazing, at least I think it is. Felt like it's been a long time but it's really only been one year.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #2547 on: June 08, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »
With e3 about I can't help but catch myself with my heart in my throat a little, hoping against hope for a new Castlevania announcement...

This isn't a terrible substitute. But damn... Who's with me?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:25:40 PM by AlexCalvo »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2548 on: June 08, 2016, 12:12:38 PM »
This isn't a terrible substitute. But damn... Who's with me?
:(

It's over man, Castlevania's spirit lives on in Bloodstained now. Konami's just gonna keep making pachinkos or give it to another developer who will reboot the series, eventually. If they even want to.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2549 on: June 08, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »
+1
But what a successor this is looking up to be so far!  Castlevania won't truly die, not while it lives on in us, the fans.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Tags: