Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Jonathan Rhys Meyers is Dracula  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: October 02, 2013, 04:43:14 AM »
+1
Ok first of all I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so I apologize in advance for any inconvenience.
I don't know if it's already been discussed, but there's a new TV series based on Bram Stoker'z Dracula novel. And as the title suggests it, Jonathan Rhys Meyers plays Dracula in it.You might know him from The Tudors where he played king Henri VIII.
Here's a trailer:
Dracula Official Trailer - NBC

From what I could understand Dracula is coming to London to get revenge on those who killed his wife. There's a lot of differences between this and the novel.
So what do you guys think of this new adaptation? Do you think that Jonathan Rhys Meyers makes a good Dracula?
Btw the series in airing on the 25th of October.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:11:41 AM »
This may belong in Off Topic section.

Anyway, this is from the people behind both Downton Abbey and The Tudors so I'm interested. I like both of them a lot. Does it seem Draculaish to me? No. But I'm willing to give it a chance just because it seems different from the usual Dracula adaptions. The production values should be pretty damn good.

Rhys Meyers is a fine choice to me, though since this seems to be a pretty unusual take on Drac it's hard to say at this point.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
There's a lot of differences between this and the novel.

Quite an understatement.

From what I see in the trailer it's more inspired by than based on the novel.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »
ooo I should write some fan fiction about this.

Offline kadosho

• Hunter in Training
    • D-toid -Gaming for Robots
    • Awards
Re: Jonathan Rhys Meyers is Dracula
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »
You might be surprised but there are some elements from Castlevania hidden within.
Flashbacks: donning a familiar cloak / garb while entranced by his wife being burnt at the stake
the coffin (dracula X) summoning
And the inner hallway for the celebration of the light
Its insane how dead on they went with this series first episode.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »
I still havent seen it. My gf said it was really boring and hard to follow but really beautiful set/costumes wise

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:15:57 AM »
the coffin (dracula X) summoning

Are you sure it wasn't just a reference to this?

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »
Awesome show. It's one of the most interesting takes on the Dracula story that I've seen in a while.

anything