Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Lords of shadow 2 is on it's way  (Read 82421 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2012, 11:46:41 PM »
... just amping up the creepiness factor in enemies and levels would suit me fine.
Darkness. Lots of darkness and night. No frozen castles.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »
Yeah, the ice just got in the way of the sexy architecture and statues. And yeah, MS, please, heap shovelfuls of darkness into the next game. As well as anything stylistically similar to the Headless Burrowers, Coffin Creepers, and all manner of creepy/undead/demonic shit.

One other request - however much outside stuff you guys want to do, please make the Castle the climax and ending levels of the game.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2012, 12:13:06 AM »
+4
Someone on here once brought up the idea that Gabriel could split into two people. Have the evil side be our Dracula and the good side be our Belmont. I'll be honest I have no love whatsoever for LoS but I could see that idea working.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2012, 01:57:12 PM »
+1
Some people said that LOS "oozes SCV4".

That was me a while back actually. That was an overstatement though, as I later confessed in that same thread.

The whole first half of IV takes place in outdoor areas. There is a swamp, caves, waterfalls, towers (not outdoors I know, but still before the castle) and such. All of these things are present in LoS, and before the castle. In addition to that, there are cool things like the return of whip swinging(why has that not been in many Castlevania games? That still baffles me). In those areas, I feel they share a lot of atmosphere. My opinion though, I guess.

There are plenty of references to other games(I'm not talking about name drops) as well. Some of the whip combos are performed exactly the same way they were in LoI. Vampires look like more detailed versions of the vampires in the N64 games. There is a maze garden, reminiscent of the one in the Villa stage in 64 and LoD as well. If you look at him from the side, Gabriel moves and jumps a lot like Richter's sprite. When running, he looks like he's doing a more applicable version of the Belmont strut(though not when he's walking, sadly)! He's got the Belmont posture when standing still.

The game has zombies, skeletons, armors, bats (only during the Carmilla fight, but they're there. Yes, I wish they were in the levels too.), flying imps, crows(though not as enemies for the most part), wargs, werewolves, swordmaster ghosts(from LoI and CoD), and mandragoras. ALL of those enemies are from past Castlevanias, some in more than others. I probably missed one or two, but I think that should be most of them.

After you kill Carmilla it kind of takes off on its own though, but most of the game is over at that point. Forgotten one was a neat reference to the Forgotten One in LoI, as you had to fight from his feet to his head, in that order. Also, it takes place after you've completed the game.  :P
In this case though, I really feel like it shouldn't have been DLC. The Forgotten One levels were really fun though.

Anyway, some of you now think I'm a raving lunatic, and others may actually agree with me to some extent. I just get a bit fed up with the criticism the game gets, and try to defend my views on it from time to time. Just thought I'd put my... $1.04 in. Way too much text to be 2 cents. Yay videogames.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »
Anyway, some of you now think I'm a raving lunatic, and others may actually agree with me to some extent.
I don't think that you are raving lunatic. So far you was completely normal reasonable person.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
Can't say I was one of the better ones. I expected "Super Castlevania IV" in 3D, so it's easy to see why I was disappointed after the initial spoilers hit. I ended up buying the game, but I sold my copy not too long after I purchased it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:43:50 PM by OSM »

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »
I don't think that you are raving lunatic. So far you was completely normal reasonable person.

Heh, thanks. Well I know people seem to have really strong feelings about this game though, myself included. I personally have a hard time not seeing the similarities to past Castlevania games in LoS. Sure, I know Mercury Steam has taken some liberties to include some "Tolkien-esque" themes and monsters as well, but IMO they hardly dominate the game's design and feel. I think that, for the most part, LoS feels very much like Castlevania.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2012, 04:14:46 PM »
Well Gabriel is one big Simon shoutout, and they DID originally pitch a CV1 remake. and SC 4 IS the most commonly LOVED versions of CV1. I can see it. mainly the grapple points, which were one of CV4's biggest gimmicks with the whip, and which is surprisingly rare outside of that game.

I guess perhaps some of the ruins and waterfally shit is similar maybe.
The grappling in LoS is too automatic... make it more skill based, as it was in CV IV, then we can start to talk. But I don't think that's possible on 3D games... so they just used what God of War used, a mini-qte to grapple.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
The grappling in LoS is too automatic... make it more skill based, as it was in CV IV, then we can start to talk. But I don't think that's possible on 3D games... so they just used what God of War used, a mini-qte to grapple.

The 3D Bionic Commando for PS3/XBOX360 did grapple-swinging extremely dynamically. Most dynamic example out there. It can be done. And honestly, God of War did a better job than LoS in its grappling points, and Rygar for PS2/Wii did them one better. LoS's grapple-swinging was not only too QTE-ish, it was also sort of "jerky" in its animation.

The more time goes by, the more squeamish I am about LoS. I paid full price for it and am not going to be making that money back from it, though, so I decided to keep it. Unless LoS2 is vastly different, I can't buy it at full price, even out of curiosity. Curiosity is what got me last time.

I have to say, I have a hard time finding Castlevania in LoS. Just because it has vampires and/or a castle? So does Van Helsing or Underworld. The Agharta (sp?) Falls may be inspired by SCV-IV, but came off all wrong, IMO. Any of the influences are so vague as to say they could be considered non-influences. I mean, a lot of it is just playing with the fan's head by including old Castlevania names. Rinaldo, Brauner, etc. Take these names out, which are little winks, and it could be anything. I had better luck in the N64 and PS2 3D games than LoS in feeling like it was "Castlevania"--even if CoD was a stretch. When you step back, LoS is not too far from being its own franchise, like Rygar. Rygar's 3D version has a whip-like weapon and grapple-swinging points, too, but I don't equate it with Super Castlevania IV.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:36:32 PM by RichterB »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »
+1
I wonder if this little shit will become a recurring thing in the new canon.

I can totally see him trolling every Belmont/whoever comes next in some new ways.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »
+1
I wonder if this little shit will become a recurring thing in the new canon.

I can totally see him trolling every Belmont/whoever comes next in some new ways.
Hell no, it was universall panned.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2012, 06:07:25 PM »
Oh god you guys just made me realise something:

The Chupacabra never died. Which means there's a high probability that it will show up in the sequel. ???

If anyone from Mercurysteam is viewing this (and I know you are) please for the sake of our sanity, omit this annoying prick from the next game PLEASE!!? Nobody liked him and im pretty damn sure no one will miss him.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »
+1
I have a feeling they'll show up again.

Imagine one of them riding on top of a Medusa Head.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »
+2
I have a feeling they'll show up again.

Imagine one of them riding on top of a Medusa Head.
I'd kill myself

Yo dawg so I heard you like being annoyed so I put and annoying f**k on your flying annoying f**k sou you can get f*****g annoyed while being flying f****ng annoyed

Everything comes full circle

anything