Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 448412 times)

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)
« Reply #960 on: July 16, 2020, 04:48:29 PM »
i pmed you

Offline OldSchoolArikado

• Castlemaniac
  • Hunter in Training
  • Se habla español
    • Castlevania Latino
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #961 on: October 31, 2021, 11:23:29 PM »
Well, recently I saw a drawing of Junki on Twitter and also the Grimoire of Souls has come back to life so I would like to know how the project is going and how much the history of the Grimoire of Souls will affect the game.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #962 on: November 04, 2021, 09:15:54 PM »
+1
I have received requests to respond if the project is alive or not. So, pseudo-update time. I'll try to be objective and offer a bit of context where needed.
(click to show/hide)

There's the pseudo-update. Now, for something a little more positive.
(click to show/hide)

To conclude this screed:
(click to show/hide)
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #963 on: November 04, 2021, 09:30:08 PM »
Well, recently I saw a drawing of Junki on Twitter and also the Grimoire of Souls has come back to life so I would like to know how the project is going and how much the history of the Grimoire of Souls will affect the game.

I'm responding to you in a separate post since the post above is meant as a general statement and has been linked in the front post of this thread.

As far as I know, GoS still has not moved beyond the point it was back when it was an Android beta. Whatever changes required to be done based on GoS at that point, is done. GoS has, for one, forced me to begrudgingly remove/rework the character of Charlotte in the plot. GoS is 80% decent writting, and 20% utter nonsense, with Alucard acting uncharacteristically ignorant and having zero idea about Dracula's return in the 1940s because, as a surrogate to the player, he has to have everything explained to him. And this is one instance of that.

Junki's piece is a fanart of the ideas he knows about the project. You will not see that scene in the game IF the game ever comes out.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:33:27 PM by theplottwist »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #964 on: November 05, 2021, 07:12:02 PM »
I have received requests to respond if the project is alive or not. So, pseudo-update time. I'll try to be objective and offer a bit of context where needed.
 (click to show/hide)

There's the pseudo-update. Now, for something a little more positive.
 (click to show/hide)

To conclude this screed:
 (click to show/hide)

Honestly, I never expected for this to turn into a game from the get-go. So it comes as no surprise to me that it might not make it that far. It was only a story to explain what had happened in 1999 and to answer a lot of questions people had about IGA's non-existent CV game. You crafted a good story and did all that you could, going above and beyond the call of CV duty (as much as humanly possible) to accurately tell the tale of the Demon Castle War. With a little help from the many members of the CVD community you were able to bring about a story the pretty much fills the gaps and gives us all an idea of just how things went down and who was involved story-wise. While it is a shame the game might be nothing more then a dream, let's at least count our blessings that the story was able to finally be revealed.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #965 on: November 06, 2021, 03:18:30 AM »
Honestly, I never expected for this to turn into a game from the get-go. So it comes as no surprise to me that it might not make it that far. It was only a story to explain what had happened in 1999 and to answer a lot of questions people had about IGA's non-existent CV game. You crafted a good story and did all that you could, going above and beyond the call of CV duty (as much as humanly possible) to accurately tell the tale of the Demon Castle War. With a little help from the many members of the CVD community you were able to bring about a story the pretty much fills the gaps and gives us all an idea of just how things went down and who was involved story-wise. While it is a shame the game might be nothing more then a dream, let's at least count our blessings that the story was able to finally be revealed.

Thank you. To be honest, not 10% of the plot made it to a public place. The final form of the plot is known to very few people and it changed so much that sometimes someone will reference something written on this thread and I'll go "what? when did I say that?". Whatever happens, the plot and related content will be made public at some point.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #966 on: November 06, 2021, 04:42:12 PM »
Glad to hear you’re still working on this Plotwist. Hope you’re staying well and life’s been good despite the global challenges in recent years.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #967 on: November 08, 2021, 07:08:23 AM »
Plot,

It's been a great effort, the stuff you guys have shown looks and sounds great. There's no shame in not being able to finish a project of that scope with the resources you have. Those games are made by entire teams of highly experienced full time employees, with plenty of assistance from the publisher. Resizing the scope of the project is a good idea, as I'm sure people will be excited to see even a small bit of what UoS could be.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #968 on: November 13, 2021, 11:13:36 PM »
I'm just hoping for a written story and not a full game.
Plot, Stay healthy. You're life is the biggest priority.
If the game side is scrapped, you can always post the story with accompanying music. hehe.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #969 on: November 14, 2021, 09:47:27 AM »
And don't forget the images and sprites. People love visuals  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #970 on: November 16, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
+2
And don't forget the images and sprites. People love visuals  ;)
And the music ;) ;)

Tags: 1999 Awes