Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 1047321 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #2460 on: March 08, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »
That is a sexy model and even sexier Shader.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2461 on: March 08, 2016, 06:01:05 PM »
and it has the biggest castle in IGAvania history, so could have more bosses than SOTN's two castles.

I'm hoping that there will be other places to explore outside of the castle as well, giving us more environments to explore.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2462 on: March 17, 2016, 02:17:57 PM »
I'm hoping that there will be other places to explore outside of the castle as well, giving us more environments to explore.
  I think IGA sad it will be not only you can you in the castle and explore but also outside the castle. It will be plces outside if I remeber correct.... anyway biggest castle ever wow hope it will be many secret rooms and hidden itemt etc 2017 where are you...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:19:08 AM by Castle34hk »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2463 on: April 01, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »

Who knew IGA swings a mean umbrella? :V
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2464 on: April 01, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »
Like I said over at the Bloodstained forums, this is looking very cool! :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2465 on: April 01, 2016, 08:40:07 PM »

Who knew IGA swings a mean umbrella? :V

That Miriam is BEGGING to become an animated sprite.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2466 on: April 02, 2016, 12:15:33 AM »
Indeed looks very nice, but it appears the dreaded floating platforms are back.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2467 on: April 02, 2016, 12:24:29 AM »
Indeed looks very nice, but it appears the dreaded floating platforms are back.
I actually like the floating platforms....

Umbrella weapon in game is needed. Make it happen IGA.  ;D

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2468 on: April 02, 2016, 03:28:08 AM »
I actually like the floating platforms....

Same here. I don't see what's wrong with them, I actually think they add to Metroidvanias, particularly where boss battles are involved.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2469 on: April 02, 2016, 03:29:30 AM »
Umbrella weapon in game is needed. Make it happen IGA.  ;D
Even if it's an Excalipoor-tier joke weapon? :V
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2470 on: April 02, 2016, 04:14:26 AM »
Well, it's no big deal to me, so I just brought it up half-jokingly. But basically the floating platforms break immersion a bit because they don't make sense from a logical stand point. SotN did a good job having a world in which areas feels naturally connected to each other, you really feel like you're in a distinct place, not just a series of separate video game levels. SotN also had floating platforms of course, but it had subtle explanations as to why they are there. You can see a crumbled stairway in the background in one such section for example. Later games kind off placed these platforms haphazardly around the levels, so it feels kind off cheap. It's a shame, since arguably this feeling of immersion was SotN's strongest point.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2471 on: April 02, 2016, 05:30:41 AM »
Well, it's no big deal to me, so I just brought it up half-jokingly. But basically the floating platforms break immersion a bit because they don't make sense from a logical stand point. SotN did a good job having a world in which areas feels naturally connected to each other, you really feel like you're in a distinct place, not just a series of separate video game levels. SotN also had floating platforms of course, but it had subtle explanations as to why they are there. You can see a crumbled stairway in the background in one such section for example. Later games kind off placed these platforms haphazardly around the levels, so it feels kind off cheap. It's a shame, since arguably this feeling of immersion was SotN's strongest point.

I'd argue that SOTN paid more attention to detail with those subtleties in terms of architectural design.

POR used placing these platforms during boss battles such as Dullahan and Legion. Nation of fools and Burnt paradise also required the need for being able to drop through platforms quickly in terms of level design.

OOE went one step further and placed these platforms strategically for more difficult playthroughs. The Monastery for example has scales Shanoa can jump onto which are completely unnecessary on a normal playthrough. When playing on HMC L1 you die is a matter of 1-2 hits and are able to use these platforms to navigate more quickly through these rooms. In addition to the crab boss, that boss could not have worked without drop down platforms and involved precise timing particularly when trying to evade death. There were also other areas in the game where these became important. There is a reason I love OOE the way I do and that's just a couple right there.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2472 on: April 02, 2016, 09:39:21 AM »
Floating Platforms can be easily made to make sense game-wise, like stacks of bookshelves or gazebos or anything else that works.

They don't 'have' to float in the air, plus the testing room is a vanilla room before one adds any meaningful objects and textures.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #2473 on: April 02, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »
I've never even thought about floating platforms as a problem. They've been in platformer video games since the dawn of time.

Though when I think about it, they look a bit strange and much more pronounced in 2.5D games. But it really is such a small thing. It's a fantasy video game after all, not meant to be realistic. Also, I'm sure the background graphics will make sense of these platforms in different ways.

The movement of Miriam looks really smooth and tight, much like the IGAMetroidvanias before it. It's almost as if it's running on the same engine as a lot of the handheld IGAvanias, except with 2.5D graphics.

Dunno about the kick though. I wonder how useful it will be?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2474 on: April 02, 2016, 11:01:38 AM »
As useful as it was with Nathan Graves and Juste Belmont?
Meaning, only to get into small crevaces and probably not so good for running into enemies.

It'd be nice if it provided some sort of bounceback flip if you ran into enemies with it.
I don't recall the slide kick being that great in any CV game except for its awesome combo abilities in Castlevania64 and Legacy of Darkness, where you can slide through an enemy and use your short sword/ring/claws mid-slide for a second hit.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: