Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1101918 times)

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1515 on: July 05, 2015, 07:08:39 PM »
Of course not. Go ahead.

Thanks, by the way i think the only Belmont that do the snap is Desmond, its not a good snap but you can see the snap because the move of the whip.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1516 on: July 06, 2015, 01:57:21 AM »
Not exactly "my" spritework, because I obviously didn't make Richter. I used him, however, to test how would a more logical approach to the whip attack work for a Belmont-like character:

This move looks killer to disperse a swarm of bats or projectiles, it wouldn't really be useful against say an axeknight or something though.
love the fluidity.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1517 on: July 10, 2015, 04:14:46 AM »
So I took in all the feedback I got and redid the entire thing from scratch. I decided to start out by sketching the entire thing by hand
and then converting it to digital.

Feedback greatly appreciated. (yes I know there is no cloak yet, was working on the walk cycle first)

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1518 on: July 10, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »

I think the torso its long and the legs are short and the hands dont have to be in the same height? this is not a problem i think i see some arts do this a lot of time but i think the comparassion the left arm its more long than the right arm.
 I like the movement, its great but since im feel like a novice in the sprites art wait to someone with better experience tell you what he thinks XD.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1519 on: July 10, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »
I'm not an artist by any means at all, but in my opinion something about the animation looks really off. I think it's the ~12px bounce he has in his step; look at the position of his head throughout the entire animation and how much it moves on the Y axis. To me, it makes it look as if he's walking in a low gravity environment like the moon or something.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1520 on: July 10, 2015, 05:59:08 PM »
So I took in all the feedback I got and redid the entire thing from scratch. I decided to start out by sketching the entire thing by hand
and then converting it to digital.

Feedback greatly appreciated. (yes I know there is no cloak yet, was working on the walk cycle first)

I have a lot to say about this. I'll ask you to please not take it personally. I'll be separating all critique in bullet points:
  • As the character walks, he bounces a lot. As ProjectDread mentioned, it looks like he's walking on the moon. When making the character bounce due to walking, in such a small scale and space, you will want to make him bounce two pixels MAX. For Castlevania-styled sprites, 1 pixel works just fine.
  • His torso is twisting too much to the sides as he walks. Not only that, but it twists to one side only and then goes back to facing foward instead of twisting to the other side. If you're going to make it twist, make it twist VERY little to BOTH sides, and place all the movement in the arm instead. He seems to be walking pretty casually, so no need for so much twisting.
  • The feet are going too high when leaving the floor. You'll want to leave only two pixels TOPS between the foot and the floor. Due to this, the character's lower-legs are moving pretty haphazardly, changing sizes and snapping into places that make it look awkward.
  • The fartest arm seems to be much shorter than the arm next to the camera. The arm next to the camera seems to get shorter as it moves backwards. This is due to the forearm's golden detail not being shortened to give us the impression of perspective correctly, or the shoulder not being in position to show us how he's lifting the entire arm to get it to that position.

That's mostly it. Fixing these issues, everything else will fall in place accordingly, I believe.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1521 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:57 AM »
I have a lot to say about this. I'll ask you to please not take it personally. I'll be separating all critique in bullet points:
  • As the character walks, he bounces a lot. As ProjectDread mentioned, it looks like he's walking on the moon. When making the character bounce due to walking, in such a small scale and space, you will want to make him bounce two pixels MAX. For Castlevania-styled sprites, 1 pixel works just fine.
  • His torso is twisting too much to the sides as he walks. Not only that, but it twists to one side only and then goes back to facing foward instead of twisting to the other side. If you're going to make it twist, make it twist VERY little to BOTH sides, and place all the movement in the arm instead. He seems to be walking pretty casually, so no need for so much twisting.
  • The feet are going too high when leaving the floor. You'll want to leave only two pixels TOPS between the foot and the floor. Due to this, the character's lower-legs are moving pretty haphazardly, changing sizes and snapping into places that make it look awkward.
  • The fartest arm seems to be much shorter than the arm next to the camera. The arm next to the camera seems to get shorter as it moves backwards. This is due to the forearm's golden detail not being shortened to give us the impression of perspective correctly, or the shoulder not being in position to show us how he's lifting the entire arm to get it to that position.

That's mostly it. Fixing these issues, everything else will fall in place accordingly, I believe.

No need to worry, I asked for feedback and you provided great constructive criticism. All I can say is thank you :)
The points are concrete with direct ways to go about solving them. I'll try to work on them as fast as I can and hopefully be able to post back here with an improved version.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1522 on: July 13, 2015, 04:30:46 PM »
The head should bob only at an offset of one pixel up and one pixel down from the regular pose.  Anything more and they're 'grooving'.  Not a good hero walk.
Unless the walk is particularly verbose, it doesn't look very good to be bouncing so much.

As someone else mentioned, legs look short and torso looks long (this was in the original as well).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1523 on: July 16, 2015, 03:57:56 AM »
Is this an improvement? I changed his orientation a little, made the legs longer, decreased the bounce in his step and redesigned his coat a little.
Any feedback on how to further improve it is welcome.

(Note that I some of the shading near the back of the jacket might be off, I figured I shouldn't spend too much time on it since that part will most likely be covered by his cloak soon anyways)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #1524 on: July 16, 2015, 04:22:27 AM »
Is this an improvement? I changed his orientation a little, made the legs longer, decreased the bounce in his step and redesigned his coat a little.

(Note that I some of the shading near the back of the jacket might be off, I figured I shouldn't spend too much time on it since that part will most likely be covered by his cloak soon anyways)

That's a HUGE improvement over the last version, even if the lower legs are still a bit strange. But now you nailed the torso.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1525 on: July 16, 2015, 07:19:54 AM »

Thighs and shins need to be larger. The shading needs more contrast as well. Other than that, nice work so far.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1526 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »
ALRIGHTY BOYS I HAVE A REQUEST/POSSIBLY A COMMISSION AND I NEED IT DONE PRONTO

TAKE THIS HERE SHEET OF THIS GUY HERE

AND TURN IT INTO THIS GUY HERE
(click to show/hide)
YE DON'T NEED TO INCLUDE THE LIGHTSABER
BUT I NEED IT DONE FAST
IF YOU WANT MONEY (10$max) THEN SHOOT ME A PM
NOOOOOOOOOWWWW
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1527 on: July 16, 2015, 10:02:11 PM »
I feel this days weird and have a lot of problems trying to do a sprite (dont match good the colors and some parts looks weird) but still im going to show something i do this days:

This sprite i love it, for me its perfect.

Hope to find a way to make that sprite that I cant do and continue with another works.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #1528 on: August 13, 2015, 06:28:52 PM »
+1
Found something I crafted by hand shat out a few years ago

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #1529 on: August 16, 2015, 11:31:58 PM »
An original Dracula sprite by me. I did it using a base (that I have too created) so I *might* have posted a different version of it here before. But I don't remember doing so.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:34:37 PM by theplottwist »