Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Playthrough commentaries  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »
Does anybody else hate these? You wanna see a game you may have never played before, or you wanna show someone online a really awesome part of a game or to give them an idea how it looks and plays, and some jackass doing the playthrough feels it necessary to spew his uninteresting, unfunny, mouth-breathing nerd-speak over the whole thing (and to make matters worse, it's usually with a really crackly mic and the volume's all over the place). Most gameplay videos are this way. elbryan seems to be one of the few who doesn't pull this garbage.

It's different if you're doing a review. If "review" is in the title, or if it's an AVGN video, of course there's going to be talking. You know what you're going into and that's what you wanna hear. But why must it be so difficult just to find commentary-free videos of games being played? Damn.it.all.to.hell.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline crimsonmist

• the fate of a fallen hunter
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Playthrough commentaries
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »
+1
occasionally horrible voices, even if it were not for cracly mics.
if we've played the games the narrators play, they tell us things we already know how to do - so few new things! so boring!
and there's the occasional random talker, who doesn't add any real meaning to his gameplay. shows how un-seriously he takes his gameplay/walkthrough attempts. (exception: hcbailly, who still manages to add entertainment with clips of memorable quotes.)
GAME OVER

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:00:10 AM »
+1
There's only one guy I trust to not have the awfulness that is Letsplay voice is Totalbiscuit - mostly because what his job is is reviewing games and offering actual critique, but also because he is also this professional in his playthroughs of games like Terraria, Dark Souls and such. There is not much nerdiness in the man, very straight.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:17:26 AM »
Depends on the Let's Player, Freak-sama. BillyMC is (unintentionally) adorable, but you also have your informative LPs like Something Awful's Sonic 1-3 lps or MST3K-style ones like Chip Cheezum's and General Ironicus's 50 CENT BLOOD ON THE SAND lp.

But yes, there are insufferable, unfunny people who feel the need to LP when they really shouldn't, like Deceased Crab. He wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't so arrogant. There was also a terrible Castlevania Chronicles LP which was the guy singing over every song and making possibly the most unfunny observations imaginable. It nearly killed my love for the game. ;_;

Offline crimsonmist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
and then too often the voices distract you from hearing the sounds and music (which probably sound awesome or at least better anyways but unfortunately get muffed off to the point that you can almost never hear it)
GAME OVER

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 07:10:39 AM »
I hate when it's some high-pitched nasal drivel, which sounds like it's from some pencil-necked nerd with huge glasses.
I just wanted to see the game, not to hear your nonsense.

"Hey you guys, it's absolutnenerd here on another chapter of Battle of Olympus..." SHUT UP AND PLAY
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »
I dislike it in general and prefer to just watch gameplay. But sometimes commentaries could be useful, if you want to know more about what is going on the screen.

Offline crimsonmist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »
+1
I dislike it in general and prefer to just watch gameplay. But sometimes commentaries could be useful, if you want to know more about what is going on the screen.
but then some people would rather never let even voiceless text annotations distract them from enjoying the gameplay...
at least we probably have video descriptions as in youtube :)
GAME OVER

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »
but then some people would rather never let even voiceless text annotations distract them from enjoying the gameplay...
I personally prefer video walkthroughs without comments of any kind. However sometimes, I find it would interesting to understand what is going on on the screen, especially, when I am watching some japanese games.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
+1
I love watching playthroughs of classic games, but between Youtube and Nico Nico, why the hell do people with the most annoying voices do commentary. :(

I do find Austinmackert easy on the ears with his playthroughs, he not only talks about the game, he talks about how he obtained said game, plays it on real hardware, doesn't use savestates as consoles don't allow it, and plays like a human complete with the occasional mistakes.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
+1
Possibly drunk japanese guy rambles over Mario Land (in English)

This is the only Let's Play that really matters.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
I hate when it's some high-pitched nasal drivel, which sounds like it's from some pencil-necked nerd with huge glasses.

Same here.

Well, except for Jedite (who's actually more of a reviewer than a Let's Play guy, but I digress). His nasally annoying voice is so bad it somehow becomes hilarious and awesome. I remember watching his Haunted Castle review and wondering if the voice was put on or not.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 12:34:43 AM »
I like Cambocombo he has some funny things to say at times he's not like what is his name dsp or something cannot stand him that much.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags: