Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: DOOM 64 musick, et al.  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
+3
So it's 10 a.m. and I haven't slept and it's partially because I've been organizing my music files (illegal downloads lol) which seriously needs doin', and I was downloading other video game music in higher quality and such (Symphonic Suite from Actraiser FLACs FTW) when I noticed somehow that Aubrey Hodges has released all of his DOOM musick on Bandcamp in ultra high quality from original 44k .wav files and such. I was ALL OVER THAT, 'cos I like Aubrey's form of dark ambient which is just really creepy and unnerving, and I've been listening to Elbryan42's (he used to post here) rips for ages but despite how good of quality those are, they're only 128kbps, so to be able to hear this music mastered properly from original files by the artist himself and tweaked to consumer's satisfaction and also adding bonus tracks ALL IN A LOSSLESS FORMAT, is quite a dream come true.

DOOM and Final DOOM for the PSX are both available and so is DOOM 64. All three scores are delightfully creepy. He's also put up Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. and some new music (the new album is SO GOOD), with his N64 and Dreamcast Quake scores to come. (Here I thought this Ken "Razor" Richmond guy who did the excellent N64 Quake II soundtrack was just aping Hodges' style really well, BUT IT'S ACTUALLY HIM; I'VE BEEN LIVING A LIE.)

Check it all out if you're a fan of the music in these games or a first-timer. And if you don't wanna pay to download, hey, you can stream it all for free.

http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/

Doin' my best to support good art.

I particularly recommend this little piece from his new album, which gives me a similar feeling to the first time I saw Eraserhead:

http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/track/shattered-tranquility
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:10:03 AM »
Oh, and listen to "Voices in the Blood (Level - Dark Citadel)" from the DOOM 64 soundtrack if you wanna piss your pants in fright.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
+1

Offline PHBelmont

• Hunter in Training
  • Simon Belmont Forever
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based.
    • My Youtube Channel (VGM)
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
MAN! this is aweosome! I'm in love with all doom games.

One of the best doom ever was the Doom for the snes, 'cause the music was epic.

But personally my favorite doom is Doom 64. ;D
Graphics... Sounds... Levels... When i was young the music really scared me.
My Youtube Channel! SNES Style Remixes and MORE.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPatoHerrera12

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »
Doom 64 scared the crap out of me back in the day.  The atmospheric color brightness switching rooms made it seem as if demons could pop out at any minute and were in the shadows.
Like in that movie "The Descent".  Which was on last night.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:19:42 PM »
Yeah, DOOM 64 employed a lot of effects to make the mood that much creepier. It can get pretty dang difficult to see sometimes, then alluvasudden the lights will partially illuminate the room and you'll see demons coming after you.

The soundtrack of course added to this feeling, especially the tracks that are kinda sparse and quiet at points, then from out of nowhere it gets really loud with these sharp, unsettling sounds.

It's an amazing game, probably my favorite in the series.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »
Doom 64 was awesome, too bad some of the enemies got cut due to memory constraints.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »
If anyone here has downloaded the DOOM 64 soundtrack, I spotted an error on track 17—a bunch of pops starting around 3:44. I brought it to Hodges' attention and he's fixed the flub, although rather than doing an all-new master of the track, he simply removed the pops, creating a really weird warbly effect. So, I'm not sure which is worse, BUUUUUT, if you have the poppy track, might as well grab the fixed one before your downloads expire.

Edit: Actually, playing at normal volume you really don't notice the warbly effect; I had the volume boosted when I first got the redone file 'cos I wanted to hear how it was fixed, ha.

And yeah, it's a shame about enemies being cut from the game. It makes up for that with its strong atmosphere at least.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:13:12 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »
I never got into Doom 64.  I adore the series, and I've probably poured more hours into the original Doom than any other game.  I just finished Doom 3 for the first time yesterday on the fantastic BFG Edition.  But I never cared for Doom 64 for some reason.  I hated the controls, and that was a big deterrent to me.  I had a lot of fun with Elbryan's Doom 64/PC mod, but I still only played about ten levels into it before I lost interest.

Someday I'll get my video game room back, and it'll be easier for me to dust off those old systems.

EDIT:   On an unrelated note, did anybody notice the Doom Classics Complete (or something like that) compilation on the Playstation Network?  It has Ultimate Doom, No Rest for the Living, Doom 2, the Master Levels, and Final Doom all together for $14.99.  I already own all of those, but it would be sweet to have a console port of the PC version of Final Doom.  Can anybody give me some feedback on it?  So far the only complaints I've heard of are some minor sound flubs and the lack of the text/story screens in Final Doom.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:07:26 PM by PFG9000 »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:33:47 PM »
I don't know if this applies to the PSN pack (I would assume so), but DOOM and DOOM II in the PS3 DOOM 3 BFG Edition were programmed by id Software and are better and more faithful to the original games than the XBLA ports by Bethesda (which were packaged in the 360 BFG Edition). Not that the Bethesda ports are slackers by any means, just that little details like graphics are a bit sharper, they perform slightly better, and I think the game menus are more like the PC games, etc. So I can only assume that id handled everything in the PSN pack; and if so, I definitely wanna grab it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »
Doom 64 is great, but slow paced. I've been playing too much Brutal Doom so everything else is either too slow or too easy

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 06:27:01 AM »
BFG Edition is a nice compilation, but it pisses me off that they forced the duck tape mod on us. Having the flashlight on all the time really kills off a lot the atmosphere and uneasiness found in the original versions. ID really needs to address this and make it optional.  On the plus side, the Lost Missions and 3D TV support are welcome additions.  Doom 3 is a good game, but still doesn't compare to the originals.

Tags:

anything