Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Where's Dracula XX ??  (Read 44749 times)

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Wolfman
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Where's Dracula XX ??
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2007, 06:57:33 PM »
In Reply To #105

Well, to be fair, this particular issue hasn't been going on for the entire seven (EDIT: now eight) pages of the thread ;)

Consider another good reason for Konami not to include DXX in The Dracula X Chornicles.  They can sell it seperately on Nintendo's Virtual Console instead of "giving it away for free," so to speak.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 07:01:32 PM by Wolfman Jake »

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2007, 08:12:09 PM »
If you want to hate on the game, try something else, like the art direction, or the gameplay, etc., instead of some picky and inconsequential detail.

I've done this. Many times now. Do I really need to do it again?

For me Rondo is superior to DXX in almost every conceivable way (graphics, music, story, controls, level design, depth, difficulty curve).

- John

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2007, 08:23:15 PM »
In my opinion, I don't think someone can accept the idea that DXX might not be canon.

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2007, 08:24:48 PM »
I've done this. Many times now. Do I really need to do it again?

- John

Of course you don't need to.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:28:17 PM by Wolfman Jake »

Stigma Black

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2007, 11:29:36 PM »
In my opinion, this thread needs to die.

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2007, 01:28:18 AM »

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2007, 01:36:46 AM »

My idea(fan fiction)
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2007, 04:05:41 AM »
I mean, overall, Rondo is superior to DXX, but in graphics detail, DXX is more superior.  With that said, wouldn't it be obvious to choose the more updated game as a follow up unless the updated game wasn't intended to be a replacemet of the previous one?

That's a debatable point really. Yes, DXX has some additional effects (the flames in level 1, and a tiny amount of Mode 7) but overall I think they two are pretty close to even, with Rondo actually being superior in a few other respects (more detailed atmospheric effects such as the storm and rain effects in stage 2, and some nicer looking parallax in other stages). Many of the foreground sprites were identical or near identical between versions. Screen resolution were close to identical. The color palette on the SNES seems brighter, but that's not necessarily a good thing for a Castlevania game.

Also, I dunno if anybody ever noticed but the town in the first level of Rondo meshes PERFECTLY with the designs used in Simon's Quest. I've also noticed that Maria's spite in PoR is clearly taken from Rondo.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said though.

- John
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:14:04 AM by Kensuke »

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2007, 04:25:07 AM »
Is the Japanese version of Dracula's Curse non-canon because it screws up in the intro and states that Ralph/Trevor fought Dracula 100 years before Simon did instead of 215 years?

Go back in time more than a hundred years before Simon Belmont's time, when the the battle between Dracula and mankind began.

More than != Exactly. :o

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2007, 05:21:09 AM »
In Reply To #114

Yeah, but it's an implication of an approximation.
If I said "I'm more than 20 years old" I could be 200 or 21, but most people would have to take what I look like into context to guess.

In that particular aspect, "More than 100" 'could' be 'around 100' (also maybe translation issue?), or could be 'more than 100' but not more than 200.

After all, if it was more than 100, shouldn't it have explicitly said "more than 200"?  It'd be more logical as such.

I'm all for 'benefit of the doubt', but really, that's reaching.

Semantics.

Also, "Retroactive Continuity" does not seem to apply to games like Legends, since many people's 2nd argument against that game was based partly on the idea she stole Trevor's thunder since he was the 'first hero' before that game.
However, this is a thread about DraculaXX so I'm gonna shut up about that can o' worms.  Please forget I mentioned it. :P

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2007, 05:29:33 AM »
I mean, overall, Rondo is superior to DXX, but in graphics detail, DXX is more superior.

Hmm not seeing that though, The PC-Engine Rondo's graphics look leaps and bounds above XX's, I mean they had so much more space to work with putting the game on a cd, compared to the insanely limited space of a supernes cart.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2007, 06:07:52 AM »
In Reply To #111

Uh, I don't think the timeframe of Dracula's Curse was retconned to suit SotN.  That was screwed up from the beginning, since Konami established right away that the Belmonet who fought Dracula 100 years before Simon was, in fact, Christopher.  The U.S. opening to Dracula's Curse sidesteps the problem altogether by not mentioning a specific number of years in which Trevor fought Dracula prior to Simon.

But if Dracula's Curse gets a "by" in the canon for doing something that seems even more detrimental to the continuity of the series (getting the date of events wrong by over a century) with a little "retcon" magic, then why does DXX get slammed for a detail about a character relationship that doesn't actually affect the immediate story, or any other story in the series, or the entire continuity of the series for that matter?  Seriously, whether or not Maria and Annette are sisters of some type (i.e., biological full, biological half, adoptive, step-sisters, etc.) doesn't matter.  It doesn't contradict that Maria may or may not be distantly related to the Belmont clan.  Being related to the Belmont clan is also not necessary to justify Maria's presense or influence in the Dracula X or SotN events.  In which century a game took place in a series that relies on a continuity of a lineage of hero characters seems a much bigger issue than "is this character a sister of this other character or a second cousin twice removed of a different character?"  You do not need to "thow DXX out of canon" to justify the fact that you simply hate the game.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2007, 07:49:56 AM »
I think it was probably just a typo in legend of demon castle.  If the japanese manual says christopher was the last one to fight him then it probably wasn't intentionally done. :)
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2007, 08:01:50 AM »
In Reply To #118

Christopher was mentioned in the manual for the original Castlevania, not Castlevania III.

Quasar

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2007, 10:07:47 PM »
Maybe Maria and Annette are "sisters," like, "blood" sisters or something.  Maybe they swore some kind of oath to protect each other when they were kidnapped ;D

Seems there are ways to have your cake and eat it too, after all :P

Tags:

anything