Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848888 times)

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2070 on: June 05, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »
+4
I think all of you are overreacting.

As for the QTE thing.  It looked like it was used to escape from a grab.  So what's the big deal?

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2071 on: June 05, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »
+1

As for the QTE thing.  It looked like it was used to escape from a grab.  So what's the big deal?
It sucks. Plain and simple. IMO, of course. QTE's should stay on consoles (better yet, they must go dead).

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2072 on: June 05, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
+2

Are you Cox in disquise?

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2073 on: June 05, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »
+2
Are you Cox in disquise?

Uh no.  I've had this account for a LONG time but never posted.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2074 on: June 05, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
+3
Are you Cox in disquise?

Nah, Cox has an account here already and I can guarentee you he's lurking.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2075 on: June 05, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
Anyway, to me the game looks awesome.  I can't wait to see more gameplay and get my hands on this.

And I disagree on the Trevor=Alucard thing.

It's not impossible but highly unlikely.

Trevor was born BEFORE Vampire Gabriel.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2076 on: June 05, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »
+4
I DONT like how this sounds. LoI all over again? (Maybe without the repetitive room-safe hall-room-safe hall etc?

(click to show/hide)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/05/e3-2012-looking-into-castlevania-lord-of-shadow-mirror-of-fate

What's the deal? I thought Mirror of Fate might be a more apologetic CV turn for the LoS franchise...yet this gameplay info and the previous Spanish article where MS talked themselves up and said it's more inspired by LoS than Castlevania...what gives? It seems like they don't even consider LoS to be related to Castlevania, despite the name being there. It's like they think it needs a reboot so hard that it needs to be a totally new franchise with only the slightest vestiges/shout-outs to the origin of its Castlevania title. It really makes one think back to the early art of LoS, where it looked more like an Arthurian legend or something. I know they say LoS was Castlevania from the start, and carted out that old Simon promo video, but this really makes me concerned about their commitment to "Castlevania" versus creating a "medieval/high fantasy action-adventure game."

I'll need to see this thing in motion, but the more I hear, the less sure I am.

Plus, guess this means LoS2 is not very far along; no gameplay there at all, I think.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2077 on: June 05, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »
+1
I don't get what the big deal is about the occasional, well placed QTE.

Sure, nobody wants to sit there and spin a joystick while Leon Kennedy runs away from exploding buildings, but like he said, Trevor was grabbed. That leaves two options for a game designer. Either you can make it so that the player has to sit there and watch Trevor escape from the bad guy and have it be completely random whether he fails or succeeds, or you can have him mash X.

I'd rather mash X.

EDIT: It's no different then wiggling the joystick like a fiend when Alucard gets petrified.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:37:30 PM by e105beta »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2078 on: June 05, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »
+1
I don't get what the big deal is about the occasional, well placed QTE.

Sure, nobody wants to sit there and spin a joystick while Leon Kennedy runs away from exploding buildings, but like he said, Trevor was grabbed. That leaves two options for a game designer. Either you can make it so that the player has to sit there and watch Trevor escape from the bad guy and have it be completely random whether he fails or succeeds, or you can have him mash X.

I'd rather mash X.

EDIT: It's no different then wiggling the joystick like a fiend when Alucard gets petrified.

The deal is that if I want button mashing, wall scaling and QTE's I could just play God of War... And probably have more fun as well.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2079 on: June 05, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »
Quote from: Akuma
And I disagree on the Trevor=Alucard thing.

It's not impossible but highly unlikely.

Trevor was born BEFORE Vampire Gabriel.

Well, the info we have says and/or heavily hints that Trevor never returns from his confrontation with his "father," Dracula. I'm thinking that he may be somehow vampirized, but perhaps the mirror/God/Devil masks* have something to do with it, thus him being cursed, yet still retaining his human side.

But I'm still hoping that's not the case. I want them to be separate, but considering that LoS already fused Leon with Matthias, anything's possible now :-\

*concerning the God/Devil masks, wtf happened with that plot device? Now there's this mystical mirror(s), but what about the masks?? I NEED TO KNOW

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2080 on: June 05, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
The deal is that if I want button mashing, wall scaling and QTE's I could just play God of War... And probably have more fun as well.

Did you read what I said? I'm not talking about wall-scaling.

Here's a legitimate question: what would you do instead of an "escape from grapple" QTE?

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2081 on: June 05, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
Well, the info we have says and/or heavily hints that Trevor never returns from his confrontation with his "father," Dracula. I'm thinking that he may be somehow vampirized, but perhaps the mirror/God/Devil masks* have something to do with it, thus him being cursed, yet still retaining his human side.

But I'm still hoping that's not the case. I want them to be separate, but considering that LoS already fused Leon with Matthias, anything's possible now :-\

*concerning the God/Devil masks, wtf happened with that plot device? Now there's this mystical mirror(s), but what about the masks?? I NEED TO KNOW

I usually equate "never returned" with "someone died".

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2082 on: June 05, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
+1
Did you read what I said? I'm not talking about wall-scaling.

Here's a legitimate question: what would you do instead of an "escape from grapple" QTE?

An easy answer is move left and right with your movement control(Analog or D-pad) to escape, but a QTE would make things easier and faster.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2083 on: June 05, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »
+1
An easy answer is move left and right with your movement control(Analog or D-pad) to escape, but a QTE would make things easier and faster.

Isn't moving left and right just another form of a QTE?

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2084 on: June 05, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »
+1
Isn't moving left and right just another form of a QTE?

Pretty much.  You still accomplish the same thing.  So people complaining about it don't really have a argument.

Tags: .....? 

anything