Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848907 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4185 on: December 10, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
+2
ho ho ho one thing i kinda regret about Lords of Shadow as a whole, is the "history" of the whip. There's no sense of importance to it story-wise, it hasn't been passed down through generations. Gabriel destroyed the first Combat Cross, Trevor gets an entirely new 1 (Rinaldo must have created more than 1), and Simon gets a leather whip. The only reason the Combat Cross is referred to as Vampire Killer is because it has a stake on the end. The Vampire Killer was unique in the classic canon, not just because every Belmont had wielded it at some point, but it was quite literally the "Bane of the Children of the Night." Julius even goes as far as to seal it within the Demon Castle, which would forever weaken the "Creature of Chaos" due to it's sheer power (something like, imagine being in Hell, nothing but chaos & evil everywhere, yet you have just 1 little drop of Jesus' blood in your possession, you will be invincible, no demon can stand against you, not even Lucifer himself). Even Alucard gets his own whip now. For this reason, I still prefer the REAL Vampire Killer to the Combat Cross (despite how more cool looking it is & more appropriate functionality-wise). There's still various whips present within the classic canon universe (The Hunter's Whip from CotM, for instance), but they made sure that Vampire Killer remained unique amongst all. I think it would've been better for the LoS story had they kept the original Combat Cross Gabriel used, and make Trevor wield it, etc. Something like, "the same weapon I once used, is now used against me" deal, ya know? Missed opportunity, imo

Maybe I'm wrong, there might be some plot point that makes them all magically connected once MoF is released. But as it stands, now, there's nothing really "special" about the [various] whips in the LoS universe.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:37:37 PM by Santa Clisis »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4186 on: December 10, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »
Speaking of the Combat Cross, on Twitter Cox said that while it was destroyed in the underworld, one piece of it is still on Earth. Then someone guessed that the stake that broke off on Camilla and Cox replied with "shhhh"

My guess is that Simon finds the stake and with the chain from Trevors Battle Cross combinds them both and creates the complete Vampire Killer.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4187 on: December 10, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »
I don't know. The faces don't looks proportioned right or something. Seems like an amateur painting. I was expecting a little better, honestly. It's kind of odd though, because Trevor looks fine. Maybe two people did different parts of it?

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #4188 on: December 10, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »
+3
Dat cover art. DAT COVER ART.

New wallpaper. :D
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #4189 on: December 10, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »
Also, the game is rated M for mature... Looks like, they couldn't bypass it :p

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #4190 on: December 10, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »
Also, the game is rated M for mature... Looks like, they couldn't bypass it :p

Must be a thematic thing. That and the demons and blood. LoI and CoD couldn't get past it either.

Offline Black Cat

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4191 on: December 10, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »
+2
Wonderful cover! LOL, I would love to be the kind of "amateur" that could draw and paint like that. I don't see anything really inconsistent with the faces (other than what could be reasonably attributed to different drawing styles). Then again, I'm not treating Trevorcard like a foregone conclusion either.

Even if it's true the angle of the faces could just as easily explain what's throwing people off. Alucard's face is almost in profile. But his nose looks like it turns up a bit more than Trevor's...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:16:19 PM by Black Cat »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #4192 on: December 10, 2012, 08:48:25 PM »
Does Simon have a flame whip? Nice Simon's Quest throwback, Dracula and Alucard look really nice too. I really don't think Alucard is Trevor anymore.

I still would have preferred Europe's boxart but this isn't too shabby either.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4193 on: December 10, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
A thought just hit me what if Trevor somehow used the devil mask infusing him with devil/vampire powers and even changed his whole entire being. The clothes are just a spiffy cool addition
The masks were an important plot device right we know what happened to the god mask but what about the other?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:40:39 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4194 on: December 10, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »
The devil mask is only used to bring out ones inner darkness and Gabriel's attire didn't change when Zobek put it on him and for it to work, it will have to remain on the person.

Plus the devil mask is probably long gone or still at the deadlands, so Trevor would have to crawl his half dead carcass all the way there.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4195 on: December 11, 2012, 01:04:34 AM »
DAT COVER!  :o

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4196 on: December 11, 2012, 02:27:40 AM »
That cover kick's ass!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4197 on: December 11, 2012, 03:22:52 AM »
The Lost Soul has two faces that look like masks, maybe it has a connection to the God/Devil Masks?

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4198 on: December 11, 2012, 03:58:29 AM »
+1

The whip uses the same handle combat the cross .... Does the profession hunter / skinner in the mountains? Maybe he manufactured his own whip, with parts of the cross combat.
Flame whip..... ;D ;D ;D (Simon Quest my first console game...)
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4199 on: December 11, 2012, 04:44:56 AM »
I'm not sure what the game is going to play like, but for me everything about this game’s artwork has been absolutely golden thus far.  Dark and gothic, with great character design.  I want to see some raw emotion and adrenaline in the characters (Simon is looking great in that cover) and this is something I believe Ayami Kojima lacked in her designs.

In-game screenshots and setting/area design are re-calling everything from the likes of Castlevania 64 to Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow (e.g. cave areas).  While it looks atmospheric, the gameplay will have a huge bearing on the overall level of immersion.  I don’t like the idea of cut-scenes breaking up the action too often, and I yearn to see some solid platforming elements.  Fingers are crossed!

Tags: .....? 

anything