Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why do you love Castlevania games?  (Read 17095 times)

funkwad

Re: Why do you love Castlevania games?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »
Now'a'days whenever I crack open a Castleroid (or Metroidvania if you prefer)

Oh man...Castleroid...LOL.

I've recently had a resurgence of playing through the Gameboy and DS titles.  I held my breath for them to release these games on a console, and finally just decided to play them on the DS.  They are great games.  I would imagine an eventual collection releases, but I wonder how they will do the DS games because of the touch screen, down the road?  (i.e. will they forever be tied to this system?)  The music, and atmosphere, the game play, the bosses...some say it's all rehashed, but it's not really.  I'll get to all of them eventually, time permitting.  Corrently on PoR.  What a great game.

Offline ibanezdropd

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 03:42:50 PM »
the amazing amount of mythology and the extra amount of effort that they put into the games that you will only find if you actually look for it.    like items that do seemingly random and unnecessary things, but the fact that there in there is cool. 

Offline Mathias Hyperion

• Vampire Hunter
  • Wanderer in time and space
    • The Forgotten Library
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2007, 02:20:39 AM »
In Reply To #31

The DS games could do without the touch screen. The Magic Seals in DoS were just annoying (you have to keep the stylus out while you're fighting, which makes pressing the buttons uncomfortable), and correct me if I'm wrong, but was the touch screen used for anything else in PoR than controlling the other character (apart from the menus of course).
"These are dark times. Times without hope." - Zobek

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2007, 05:25:50 AM »
In Reply To #33

I know, it seems like they put sisters mode in there so no one would think they were stupid to put PoR on DS. They had to use the touch screen somehow.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2007, 09:40:56 AM »
You could also use the touchscreen to control the partner.

But yeah, the sisters mode controls are a totally unneeded and forced gimmick. I'd rather not see anything like that ever again, or if so keep it for those extra enemy modes like all those flying enemies. Or Death, his mode for example would make more sense with controls like that.

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2007, 04:33:14 PM »
You could also use the touchscreen to control the partner.

But yeah, the sisters mode controls are a totally unneeded and forced gimmick. I'd rather not see anything like that ever again, or if so keep it for those extra enemy modes like all those flying enemies. Or Death, his mode for example would make more sense with controls like that.

Yeah, but the partner thing was completely useless. And speaking of extra enemy modes, we need more!
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Belm0nt

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 10:12:50 AM »
Castlevania is a series that started 20+ years ago, and is still going strong today. Not many franchises can say the same thing.

Although I believe that if Castlevania went exclusively 3D with the advent of the N64, it would not be as popular as it is today.

Thank God for the GBA, DS, and PSP. They allowed for some of the most stellar CV games to date, and brought Castlevania back to 2D where it BELONGS!

Offline victor_cardigan

• DoomGate
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »

- Striking imagery. The series in general has a very unique / cool look. The games always look good.

- Great music

- More often than not, the games are good gameplay-wise.

- Although I think the series isn't consistent in delivering in this area, Castlevania in general provides an entertaining story to go along with all the above.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 10:32:51 AM »
In Reply To #37

I'd hardly say strong... not weak, but not really strong... strong would be a mainstream-ish.

Offline Holycross

• Apprentice
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »
I would usually say that anything that has dracula in it I will play definitley.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline le052383

• Supreme Newbie From the Kingdom of Newbi
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »
In Reply To #31

The DS games could do without the touch screen. The Magic Seals in DoS were just annoying (you have to keep the stylus out while you're fighting, which makes pressing the buttons uncomfortable), and correct me if I'm wrong, but was the touch screen used for anything else in PoR than controlling the other character (apart from the menus of course).

Also, one has to do the seal in a given amount of time (before all the stars on the edge of the seal goes out.)  I didn't know that until I was fighting that time pausing guy.  I eventually found out after my 4th or 5th time fidghting him after doin the seal thing slowly the first four times.

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Wolfman
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 07:19:17 PM »
In Reply To #31

Actually, you could take as long as you want to start drawing the seal once prompted in DoS.  Once you start, though, you do have a limited amount of time to complete the seal.  So, you really have as much time as you need to get the stylus ready to draw the seal when the time comes; there's no need to have it at the ready while you're actively fighting a boss.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2007, 07:39:35 PM »
In Reply To #1

Vampires, Demons, and Magic
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Marty Belmont

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
In Reply To #31

the DS games could probably be translated to a console.

the partner control from PoR could be assigned to the second analogue stick, and DoS could ditch the seal system.
PORK

Portrait of Rockin' Kastlevania

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »
I grew up on Castlevania back in the NES days when me and my brother would just play CV, Jackel, Contra, Mario, Zelda and of course Metal Gear back in the day :D

Fun times... I remember going over to my brother's friends house (I was little at the time and really didn't understand video games) they where trying so hard to beat Simon's Quest. It was like the "ultimate" game back then because of all the mistranslations and puzzles and what not.

But I also enjoyed vampire mythology, so that's one of the top reasons why I was so in to Castlevania. Back in highschool my friends would brag about me because I was the "biggest" Castlevania freak they'd know and all these kids would come up to me asking how to beat the original side scrolling and metroidvania games.

Fun times :)

Tags:

anything