Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How would you do a castlevania tv series ?  (Read 15176 times)

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: How would you do a castlevania tv series ?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 12:23:28 PM »
In Reply To #15

I've never seen Supernatural :P

The thing about live-action is that I think it'd be hard to find actors that'd be able to make a good impression. This is my opinion mostly because I'm very fond of the Kojima style characters and personally I find it very rare for western actors to look femenine in that kind of way. Typical american/european male actors wouldn't suit in such kind of appearance. The Kojima styled characters are like.. anime characters. In other words; very hard to put into real life.

Offline Battler Ushiromiya

• The Detective
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Better than Phoenix Wright.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 05:30:54 AM »
In Reply To #16

*Coughs and points to Leonardo DiCaprio*

He's not feminine enough?
_______________________________________ ___________

Magically immune, and loving it!

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 06:09:34 AM »
In Reply To #17

Hm.. good point XD He is femenine. I doubt they'd get him to star in a Castlevania movie though. I'm not saying finding suitable actors is impossible, but I'm pretty sure it'd be hard. A Castlevania movie would probably have a very low budget, so finding actors that both have enough acting skill and the right type of appearence is probably very hard. I just think it'd be a lot easier (and cost less money) if they made it animated.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
#Necrobump

Offline whipsmemory

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
two or three short movies (40 minutes each) based on akumajou densetsu in a late 80's anime style. that's what i'd go for

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 03:30:55 PM »
aalluuccaarrdd. you need to read the rules again since reviving a post so old like this is against them.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »
Yeah, Lelygax is right--necroposting is frowned upon. Still, the rules also say the mods have discretion to look at necroing on a case by case basis, and aaaalucard did post a good, thought-out contribution, so I'll let it slide for today. Just be more careful next time, and if you see a thread that hasn't been posted in for more than a year, make a new one, alright? :)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 09:08:39 PM »
i would put at least one epic boss battle in each episode.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 09:15:21 PM »
+1
Dedicate an entire season to 1 game in the series.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 09:17:16 PM »
+1
Get a great art team to handle the graphics and you must never forget the epic music the series must have.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 10:18:28 PM »
I've been watching some old 80s cartoons, obscure ones that get overshadowed but I barely remembered from my youth and just recently re-discovered. There are a few shows from Sunbow Entertainment that have a VERY strong Castlevania feel to them. Sunbow is the same company responsible for the G.I. Joe, Transformers, and My Little Pony American-Japanese animes from the 80s. The shows:

Inhumanoids (1986) : Really bizarre show, about ancient evil demons living in the center of the Earth that have been awakened and battle a team of scientists over 13 episodes of toy-selling monster mayhem. One of the main monsters is named D'Compose, who is a giant anthropomorphic dinosaur with an exposed ribcage who can turn people into his personal army of giant undead zombies at the touch of his claw. Near the center of the earth is the village/castle keep called Skellweb, which is populated by his army of skeleton warriors. This is a really well done show, and pretty silly, but at the same time very dark and gruesome and full of bizarre and horrific monsters.

Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light (1987) : Taking place sometime in the far future, a post-apocalyptic world where science has gone away and magic is the way of the world once again.  One of the lead characters uses a whip, and a wizard has granted all of the Knights with the ability to transform into an animal ie. SOTN. The landscapes are pretty incredible, medieval towns and castles but drawn with magenta hues and weird sci-fi touches. This show is a bit sillier than the previous one, mostly about bumbling evil Knights vs. archetypal and one-dimensional good Knights, but the ambiguous wizards and other supernatual elements keep it interesting. Like Inhumanoids it also lasted 13 episodes and can be easily found via google searches!

Heh, I've actually been doing the same thing this past week...it was because I couldn't remember the name of this toy line that had the main hero who was reversible: one side he was normal, and the other side he was blue and kind of evil-looking (it ended up being Power Lords).

It's amazing how many cool ideas came out of those 80's franchises. So many good intros on YouTube: Silverhawks, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, MASK, etc. I really want to check out some Spiral Zone episodes now.

But if CV ever went to TV, I'd love to see a darker, Hellsing-esque anime for it. They could do at least several episodes each for Simon, Trevor, Richter, etc. It could be pretty awesome to see how each Belmont's confrontation with Dracula would be different, what each incarnation of the castle would look like, etc. Would never see something like that in a million years, though.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 10:43:40 PM »
just bought the mortal kombat conquest live action tv series today.  other than star trek, it was the only show whose episodes i watched as they came out when in college in 1998, and it finally, finally came out on dvd.  it had great dark tones to it and i enjoyed the martial arts and character interactions.  closest thing to a castlevania tv series for me back then anyways. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:47:07 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 10:50:04 AM »
I could see a Castlevania anime done in the art-style of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.  Carmilla's castle is gorgeously over the top and gothic, right up Castlevania's street.  The beautiful art style, with a mix of beautiful men at times (D, Meier), and grotesque monsters would fit well with taking inspiration from Ayami Kojima's designs.  I'd like to see either a movie, or a tv series.  Something based on CV3 could work nicely, as it's got a good range of main characters, or Lament of Innocence (it would be interesting to see a prelude to Sara being kidnapped).  Lords of Shadow, with the modern parts of LoS2 tweaked, and the gaps in between MoF and 2, would also work really nicely.  Definitely dark, and mature in tone I'd say, beautiful and gothic, and not afraid of gore in the right places.   I suppose that a live-action version could also work well, but the cg and physical sfx for the monsters, and environments, could be tricky to pull off well without a really good budget. 
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 12:41:27 PM »
I would prefer a animated series or movie over live action. Some animated series aren't good simply because they are rushed, if you take time and do it with care it can be good.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
I would prefer a animated series or movie over live action. Some animated series aren't good simply because they are rushed, if you take time and do it with care it can be good.

A great example of this is the Avatar series.  The last couple of episodes, and The Tales of Ba Sing Se, in particular, had me in tears.  Avatar was incredible, and a perfect example of doing an animated series *right*, and pitching it for aults and kids alike.  I'm nto entirely surprised that Nickolodeon didn't know what to do with it. 

Hellsing Ultimate is also a superb series, with great animation, where each episode wasn't rushed or anything, and it shows.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Tags: