Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A fans obligation to buy Castlevania games  (Read 11370 times)

Offline Hydrostorm

• Actually, I prefer the Holy Cross.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: A fans obligation to buy Castlevania games
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
Unfortunately,
My hard on for Castlevania knows no limit. Consequently, I generally buy anything that has Castlevania on it. I haven't bought Judgement, yet, but I still plan on it.
++Acquired Holy Water++

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
Yeah, for me brand loyalty ended when I bought Curse of Darkness, and a while after sold it. I bummed the PS2 version off my bro recently for completion's sake, but I doubt I'll get Judgment or Harmony of Despair for a long, long time.

Offline Amduscias

• Hunter in Tanning 8D !!
  • Hunter in Training
  • Wuhhzaaa
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 11:03:41 PM »
Want a new good way for the saga? buy LoS and laugh about HoDe, showing to Konami that the Iga (moneymayker) time is now over and just hardcore fanboys could buy those mediocre games (Encore of the Night? oh plz - -)

Castlevania needs new blood and a new generation is open, im gona wait until special edition is ready for sale
=============================================

Fill this space with some nice message

=============================================

Offline VGuyver

• Haunted by Typo's
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Haunted by Typo's
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 12:59:24 AM »
I can wait, I'm not obessed with the franchise, I love it, but not to the point of madness.

Offline Ascension

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:12:59 AM »
I'm the same way.  Last one I bought was either PoR or the PSP one.  Still haven't bought OoE yet and I'm not going to get Judgement.  I might get OoE sometime, but I'm getting burned out by the same rehashed level design.  I want something new and fresh for my castlevania game (SCIV is still my all time favorite). 

Sometimes you got to let these franchises die, then most likely, some company will pick it up about 5 years down the line and take a stab at it to make it good again.

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
Yeah, for me brand loyalty ended when I bought Curse of Darkness, and a while after sold it. I bummed the PS2 version off my bro recently for completion's sake, but I doubt I'll get Judgment or Harmony of Despair for a long, long time.

Same for me.  My brand loyalty ended with Curse of Darkness, after that I vowed to never again purchase a game just because it had the Castlevania logo on it.  I've lost interest in the series in recent years, to the point that I have even skipped some DS games.  I didn't buy Judgment or even rent it.  I won't be buying Harmony of Despair because it looks terrible, a cheap recycled attempt to cash in on the success of New Super Mario Bros.  I wont be buying the iphone puzzle game, or the Castlevania kart racer that Iga is probably working on next.

I will buy Lords of Shadow, because it looks interesting and because they finally appear to be putting some effort into a Castlevania game after years of just mailing it in.

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 05:26:33 PM »
and bought a PSP just to get DXC.

I did the same thing.

However, despite having a Wii, I did not buy Judgement. Because it looked like crap, and it seems that was the general consensus. I might end up buying Harmony of Despair since its cheaper, but I still might skip it. I don't believe in buying games for the sake of having the entire collection.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Trevor.C Belmont

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 03:59:44 PM »
There ll never be such thing as a perfect castlevania game everybody has his own idea of perfection..
I ´ve bought every single castlevania game ...even bloodlines and Lords of Shadows will not be an exception its a need for the followers of the saga to play every title

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »
There ll never be such thing as a perfect castlevania game everybody has his own idea of perfection..
I ´ve bought every single castlevania game ...even bloodlines and Lords of Shadows will not be an exception its a need for the followers of the saga to play every title
excellent first post. Welcome
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 07:44:33 PM »
Good to see LoS spark interest in fans who have been moving away from the series in recent years.  IGA games have really run the well dry.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 10:59:31 PM »
3D metroidvania is gonna be boss.

Offline Innovator

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »
Want a new good way for the saga? buy LoS and laugh about HoDe, showing to Konami that the Iga (moneymayker) time is now over and just hardcore fanboys could buy those mediocre games (Encore of the Night? oh plz - -)

Castlevania needs new blood and a new generation is open, im gona wait until special edition is ready for sale

I agree 100 %.
Time for a new era for the saga.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
I see absolutely zero reason a fan should ever feel obligated to buy anything, unless you're talking about a fan of a fledgling artist or company just trying to get a foothold in the business.

We're not obligated to buy anything from Konami.  They've got the funds, organization, talent, and experience to make a high-quality game if they really want to.  It's up to us to decide whether we buy what they put up for sale.  If a farmer is selling sweet corn that you've liked in the past, are you obligated to buy from him this season?  What if the quality of his produce goes downhill?  Should you still have to buy from him if his product isn't what you enjoyed in the first place?

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 11:21:41 PM »
I've always made day-one purchases on everything Castlevania, without question, since COD (except for the iPhone game, because I don't have/want an iPhone). I've always wanted to support the series, and I don't want to miss out on any games, good or bad.

But in light of HoD, that might change. Sure there is fun to be had, but as a Castlevania fan, the game seems almost insulting. I don't want to support Konami if they're going to keep releasing Castlevania games like this.

It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline ReinhardtSchneider

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 08:25:38 AM »
While I understand where TC is coming from, I disagree.  I am a fairly new Castlevania fan, only started liking Castlevania within the last 3 or 4 years, but I am a huge fan, and I am trying to buy every awesome Castlevania game.  BUT I am not going to just buy any piece of garbage simply because it has the Castlevania name.  There aren't a lot of bad Castlevania games, thankfully.  But I love the series, and I will buy a Castlevania game as long as it looks awesome (which isn't hard to do for this series).  I took a chance on Judgement, because it could've gone either way but it turns out it's actually pretty cool, in my opinion.  So with that said, Castlevania is an awesome video game series, if not one of the best.  I will definitely be buying Lords of Shadow, as it looks amazing.  If it didn't, I wouldn't buy it, plain and simple. 

Tags:

anything