Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 121051 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #315 on: December 19, 2013, 01:03:17 AM »
*Cackles*  Yup, agreed, we can share.  I already have a claim on Leggy's bow and Arwen's Hadhafang (from FotR), so you can have Thranduil's sword and staff.  Heck, tbh I just want to raid Weta's workshop and run off with as many of the Elven weapons and costumes as I can.  I saw a chunk of the stuff from LotR at a LotR exhibit ten years ago and it was gorgeous.

Shiroi, have you ever encountered a UK company called The Dark Angel?  They do a lovely Elven style coat in copper velvet which looks very heavily inspired by Elrond's Council costume. :)

http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/en/product/486-alphonse-coat
Sorry guys btw for the slow replies.  I have patchy access to the internet at the moment.

Cool! I'll claim Leggy's fighting knives. And Gil-galad's Aeglos. Yeah. Let's raid all the elven stuff from Weta!
If I am not mistaken, Elrond used Hadhafang in AUJ.

I just heard about them from you. Wow, the coat is so pretty....but coats are useless in my country.  :'(

If you want to talk more about LoTR/Hobbit more, you can start a new spoilery thread, then we can fangirl over there.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #316 on: December 19, 2013, 10:19:43 AM »
Rewatched Predator, I somehow forgot how awesomely cheesy it is. I love the Yautja.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: December 20, 2013, 02:41:55 AM »
Just watched The Hangover 2.
Hilarious!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #318 on: December 20, 2013, 03:46:10 AM »
Apparently I needed to remind myself how awful Jingle All the Way is. Not even the fact it was shot in my state and uses many locales makes it very interesting.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: December 20, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
After posting about "Noroi", I later that night watched both -- back to back -- Carved: The Slit-Mouthed Woman and Carved 2. I had the light on in my parents' room (I was house-sitting), but the rest of the lights in the house were off. I was in the house alone. It's a three-story old house from the 70s or so -- you know, the kind that creak and groan a lot when the weather is cold. Fuck, that was a nerve-racking night. The black cats peering at me over the stairs in the hallway didn't help much either.

The Slit-Mouthed Woman has always been for me one of the creepiest Japanese ghosts I've seen, so I avoided the Carved films for the longest while, even though I was inexplicably drawn toward them (actually it wasn't inexplicable, I'm a Japanophile). The first one was a bit fucked up and might have been creepier if not for the male teacher hearing her voice all the time. And the earthquake scene was like, "Really? What was that all about?" But oh my god fuck yeah! The ending to the first one was excellent! And the creepiest part was...
(click to show/hide)

The first one was so much better than the second. The second was too... I dunno. Seemed too kitsch. The second started off so corny and had the whole high school sitcom thing dragged out too long that I think it ruined the rest of the movie. It was a bit too predictable, too. ... Actually it was way too predictable. It was obvious the ex-boyfriend was going to ruin the family's lives, although his last scene was ...  :o A bit disturbing. And the scene where the main girl gets ridiculed in school after her grandpa.... That was sad. But her going around murdering people -- that had nothing to do with Slit-Mouthed Woman. It wasn't even until the dragged-out, ridiculous revenge-fueled ending that she even looked like the Slit-Mouthed Woman.

So I give Carved 4 stars, but Carved 2 I give just 2 stars -- it stirred up enough emotions to garner an extra star but was otherwise sub-par.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: December 28, 2013, 11:15:19 PM »
The Fall (2006)
This is such a lovely film giving tribute to all the unnamed stuntmen of the black and white movies era.
The connection of the leads can be felt and the story within the story emphasizes the aspects of failing, death and redemption.

Well, the only reason I watched this was for Lee Pace who showed great skill in helping his 6 year old co-star create a script out of thin air.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: January 08, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »
Just watched Frozen last week, I think.

There really is a trend for placing strong female characters in animated stuff nowadays.
I loved Idina Menzel's "Let it go" song.
As for the story, typical Disney fare.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #322 on: January 08, 2014, 08:31:11 PM »
Just watched Frozen last week, I think.

There really is a trend for placing strong female characters in animated stuff nowadays.
I loved Idina Menzel's "Let it go" song.
As for the story, typical Disney fare.

I almost went to see Frozen at new years but decided not to. The original folktale it's based on looks interesting.

Last movie I watched was The Strangers Gundown (aka "Django the Bastard") a very moody and well done spaghetti western from 1966 where the audience isn't entirely sure if the title character is an avenging ghost, or an avenging ninja cowboy for most of the movie.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:34:13 PM by Ratty »

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: January 08, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
Rewatched Predator, I somehow forgot how awesomely cheesy it is. I love the Yautja.

Get to da choppa!

Also: what did you think of Predators? I loved it.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: January 10, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
Also: what did you think of Predators? I loved it.
Obligatory
Austrian Death Machine "Get To The Choppa" (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
(Video sucks but the song is good.)

Also, good but can't beat the original.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:50:26 PM by Ratty »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2014, 12:36:21 AM »
Just watched Gravity.

I feel that it is in the running for the Oscars, but I personally didn't like it.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
And here I am, jumping all too late into the Hobbit bandwagon.

I've just seen The Desolation of Smaug, and it's noticeably better than its predecessor. Gone is the wobbliness of the first title -- this one, while still not as extraordinary as the franchise that inspired it, entertains from start to finish, with no hiccups in between. And as for quality, it is, after all, Peter Jackson entertainment; that certainly goes for something. It's even got me hyped for the trilogy's conclusion (although I still don't think a cliffhanger constitutes a fitting end to a 3-hour long movie).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:24:33 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline SaibotMK

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: January 11, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »
I just watched the latest Riddick, it was alright, the first two were definitely better.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: January 12, 2014, 01:52:17 AM »
And here I am, jumping all too late into the Hobbit bandwagon.

I've just seen The Desolation of Smaug, and it's noticeably better than its predecessor. Gone is the wobbliness of the first title -- this one, while still not as extraordinary as the franchise that inspired it, entertains from start to finish, with no hiccups in between. And as for quality, it is, after all, Peter Jackson entertainment; that certainly goes for something. It's even got me hyped for the trilogy's conclusion (although I still don't think a cliffhanger constitutes a fitting end to a 3-hour long movie).

Well at least you were able to jump in. Hehehe.

The cliffhanger is expected since the hobbit book chapters 6-12 that corresponds to the middle movie (minus all the other additives they got from the LoTR appendices, and a few subtle jabs at the Silmarillion) end that way.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #329 on: January 25, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »
Finally knuckled down and sat through Man of Steel. Not nearly as bad as I though it would be, I was actually pleasantly surprised. Superman's outfit while interesting was still too dark in my opinion. But as good as i though the movie was it still can never replace the original superman movies. I'm old school that way.

The other film I saw was Godzilla: Final War. Definitely deserving of that title. I've only ever saw one flick out of the entire franchise and that was Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah (or Monster Zero as it was called here) so it was interesting to see Godzilla go through almost the entire roster of baddies that he had previously fought. I got a kick out of him beating down the American version of Godzilla, lol. No contest there apparently. The battle against the giant spider (Kumonga) was short and I'm still wondering what happened to it after Godzilla threw it out of sight. I really liked the final battle against the meteor creature, and it got even more interesting when that thing grew two more heads and I was like "F@#k that's King Ghidorah 2.0!!". Good flick for those who love Godzilla  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything