Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Look what I found today...  (Read 8850 times)

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: July 19, 2015, 09:34:31 AM »
+1
After all these years, I thought I had lost the source to CV - The Bloodletting...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:14:26 AM »
Oooooo, does this mean you can continue it? And possibly Bloodstorm as well?  :) :) :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »
I could continue it. I also found my source to Bloodstorm. But I probably won't because I'd want to redo the engine and I'm too enveloped with Anathema. Maybe one day though.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 11:25:39 AM »
I could continue it. I also found my source to Bloodstorm. But I probably won't because I'd want to redo the engine and I'm too enveloped with Anathema. Maybe one day though.

Could you at least do a bit of physics tweaking and bug removing? I wan't this game playable, dammit!
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 11:39:07 AM »

I love to make sprites for one of your projects if you want so if that days come you can send me a pm.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
Could you at least do a bit of physics tweaking and bug removing? I wan't this game playable, dammit!

Maybe I'll get around to doing it one day. I would eventually like to see it in a finished form. Konami's cease and desist order be damned.

I love to make sprites for one of your projects if you want so if that days come you can send me a pm.

Maybe once I finish Anathema I can finalize Bloodletting, if so I will be sure to let you know. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:30:50 PM by piscesdreams »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 09:13:54 PM »
Maybe I'll get around to doing it one day. I would eventually like to see it in a finished form. Konami's cease and desist order be damned.

Yeah, f@#k 'em. If they don't care about our beloved series then why should we obey an unreasonable C&D? We're not doing these things to make money, it's done for free and for the love of the series itself. If Konami doesn't want us to make CV fan games then they should get off their @$$ and do it themselves.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
Yeah, f@#k 'em. If they don't care about our beloved series then why should we obey an unreasonable C&D? We're not doing these things to make money, it's done for free and for the love of the series itself. If Konami doesn't want us to make CV fan games then they should get off their @$$ and do it themselves.

Agreed. I understand it's their IP and all that jazz, so I really am not in a legal position to argue with them. At the time I started developing Bloodletting, it was because they hadn't released a Classicvania since CV Chronicles in the US. Shortly thereafter, DXC came out and was fantastic. I used to hate on Iga hard, embarrassingly hard. But now I realize, it feels like Iga, Yamani and Kojima are the only ones that had love for the series at Konami during those times. Even if it isn't the style of games I wanted, it was still something worth playing.

Anyways, back on topic. It wouldn't be necessarily HARD to fix all the issues with it, but I know I'd basically rebuild the game from the ground up with a way better engine. There was a lot of design mistakes I made in the engine as I was very inexperienced and took the easier, more noob options. The biggest being a backflip and using the built in Platform Movement option on the sprite itself, instead of a custom movement engine that the sprite moves with and masks the hitbox. I could write a damn book on all the things that would be different in its overall design.

Once Anathema is finished, I may revisit this. It would be fun to add some more levels, balance the gameplay and beef it up. It had potential, but I was just too inexperienced at the time. Six years later, I feel very confident.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, can you give us the sheet you made for this? Specifically the one for the red richter guy.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 06:02:29 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, can you give us the sheet you made for this? Specifically the one for the red richter guy.

I wish I had made the sprites, but I can't recall the exact source I found them. I did a quick search and it looks like Las posted a sheet here - http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,3650.msg97105.html#msg97105

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 02:01:16 AM »
Neat, I love that feeling you get when you're digging around old hard drives and CDs and you end up finding an ancient project you thought was lost forever! You should post a download to an executable, I'd like to try it out.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 05:27:39 AM »
I believe the beta 1.3 exe is available on various websites. That was the beauty of it, Konami c&d'd the beta, but it was already uploaded to other websites by other people.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
Every link I found online was an "installer" package to the demo, and I haven't been able to determine if it was legit or not. Even so, in my opinion installers for fangames are a big no-go for me. If there's a link to a .zip or other archive for the game, I will give it a try.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 05:00:22 PM »
I did compile it with an installer, but I can do a straight exe build.

Offline SabinFigaro

• Hunter in Training
  • What a horrible day to go to work..
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 11:09:13 PM »
Well, I still have the legit 1.3 beta exe. file. Problem is that it's 40.2 MB. Can't upload it via the dungeon because of uploads size restrictions.

Tags: