Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Yet another Castlevania fan-game  (Read 36174 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2011, 09:49:13 AM »
One or two bytes can easily multiply into one or two megs. Every resource counts. RESOURCE MANAGEMENT!  :-X

And all my sprites have their hitboxes set the same without using masks. A 16x32px hitbox with bbox_left at 0 and bbox_right at 15 is the same as a 16x32px hitbox with bbox_left at 9 and bbox_right at 24.

And sprite masks would be affected by the image_xscale bug too if you ever accidentally used image_xscale on it. The only reason nobody ever notices it when they use separate sprite masks is because they don't change the image_xscale for the mask. That doesn't mean the bug isn't there, it just means people are unnecessarily wasting resources because it seems easier for them to do that than to work with the bug. If you use custom collision detection, the bug is easily compensatable. If you use GM's built-in options, it's a gamebreaking bug that needs to be countered with sprite masks. GM8's sprites function exactly as a sprite mask would, they're just more susceptible to some bugs, but you have a lot more flexibility using each sprite's built-in bounding boxes as of GM8. I think you still need masks for isometric games, though. I haven't played with bounding boxes that much yet.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline FanOfDracula

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
Hello! someone here ? I just wanted to know what happened with this game?  :(

Tags:

anything