Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Save your criticism  (Read 73210 times)

Offline Belmont legacy

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: July 06, 2013, 12:44:33 AM »
Well it's been a looong while since I was last here as well as play some good ol' castlevania. Seeing the amazing and beautifully animated lords of shadow, I knew I just had to get my hands on it. Whilst browsing my used video store I came across a copy and immediately slammed my 15 bucks on the counter a long with the copy that I had been searching for, for a good while. (no one else had this game for some reason? >.<) After beating the third chapter today, I must say that this game is pretty bad-ass. The visuals are some of the best if not the best I have seen on Xbox 360. The music is a real treat for the ears. The symphonic melodies and battle born harmonies are just pure and simple what you would expect from Castlevania. The gameplay is pretty great, but I have noticed it's pretty difficult. Now I am not the best gamer in the world. I do get my butt handed to me on a daily basis whilst playing certain games (Castlevania 3, Sonic 2, and Megaman. As for newer games, FF13) But this game isn't so difficult that it makes you want to just give up and quit. It's more like putting you into the shoes of a man who is going up against the horrors of hell. Of course it won't be easy. And that's what I really like. It actually makes you feel like Gabrielle. You can feel his heart ache for the death of his love, and question your own sanity and morals as you delve deeper into your quest for revenge and purification. The story line (Thus far) is also a HUGE highlight of the game. I was very suprised to hear just how the lords of shadow were brought about. Simply original and genius. Now, I know that critics have given this game a "decent" score if you will and others have even went so far as bombing it, but come on guys. Yes, it might have some similar traits during game play such as God of war and shadow of the colossus but this game is ANYTHING but a copy cat of those 2 games with a few pallet swaps. This game is a quest and quite simply a masterpiece.  ;D
By My Hands...The Belmont Clan Will Be Avenged...

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »
+2
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone- Where did you go that you can get a used 360 game for 15 bucks? Have I been out of the game store loop that long? are used 360 prices that low these days?

I must say that this game is pretty bad-ass. The visuals are some of the best if not the best I have seen on Xbox 360. The music is a real treat for the ears. The symphonic melodies and battle born harmonies are just pure and simple what you would expect from Castlevania.
i'd just like to point out that this is a prime example of Castlevania being different things to different people. Many people blasted the music as too orchestral, and whatnot. To this guy, it's great music, and moreso, it's "castlevania music" to him.

Just wanted to throw that out there, considering the "IT'S NOT CASTLEVANIA TO ME" discussions that always pop up around Lords of Shadow discussions. Particularly around new releases
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Belmont legacy

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:31:43 AM »
+2
Yes I do see why some would be upset but this game is just way to great. I mean it might just be some people (like you pointed out) but I really couldn't get over how great the music was. This is all up in the air, though too. lol!  :P
By My Hands...The Belmont Clan Will Be Avenged...

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »
+1
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone- Where did you go that you can get a used 360 game for 15 bucks? Have I been out of the game store loop that long? are used 360 prices that low these days?

Actually, yes. I know that's about how much it goes for used in my area. It's not uncommon.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:50:39 AM »
+2
I thought the OST for LOS was great too. I listen to it while I work all of the time. Waterfalls of Agharta is a beautiful piece. I think it's some of the best music in the series.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 11:32:43 AM »
+1
I liked LoS' Music, and I agree with you guys, but I have to play Devil's Advocate here-

The most memorable tunes aside from the main theme, were the orchestrated classic themes. Waterfalls of Agharta, The Courtyard, Vampire Killer, That orchestrated version of Dracula's CV1 theme...
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:53:22 AM »
+7
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To me this music of Lords is a perfect example of the developers pushing something that appeals to them -bombastic epic fantasy music- in their own game without actually asking themselves whether it's actually appropriate for the franchise they're developing a game for.

I can understand that very much. I think a lot of people have a tendency to do this when given the chance to make a Castlevania game. IGA did it too more or less when he pushed Kojima's gothic and elegant artstyle. However, I think the difference here is that what IGA brought to the series was in line with the world of the games, while with Lords it sounds like the soundtrack would feel more appropriate in a fantasy game most of the time rather than a gothic horror game.

I think that's why the former is loved by a lot of people while the latter received lots of criticism or at least heavily conflicting opinions.             

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »
+2
I dunno. Kojima's bishounen art was pretty different compared to what came before it. Belmonts for the most part were never really feminine until Kojima became artist. people are ok with that though. (well, I couldnt speak for CV fans at the time of SoTN's release, perhaps the same kinds of discussions were being had)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »
The bigger problem regarding LoS discussions in that it's the music what's being discussed.
I personally believe that (despite having my personal preference of what is a perfect Castlevania for my tastes) I can do OK with many changes in Castlevania, pretty much everything (within some limits) but not without the music.
To me, it just can't be CV without the music (be it the old Game Boy and NES tunes, the PS2 games or whatever in between).
To add another problem to that, I found many things about LoS not being what I consider CV, but what I want to say is that my biggest problem was not having another soundtrack. I guess that's why, in the end, I've forgiven Judgment for not being the game I wanted, and I ended up liking it.
But let's not argue again about this, please. It's been talked a million times.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »
+2
The thing about LoS' soundtrack is, it matches the mood of the game. Try and play through the game with the volume off and turn up a Yamane soundtrack instead; it doesn't match at all (except for a few tracks.) SotN's OST is perfect for the game. Belmont's Revenge OST is perfect. It's all about different styles.

My fav LoS tune is Belmont's Theme, I listen to it every other day. Mirror of Fate, "The Den," is also a good track, albeit way too short. I can only hope LoS2 has a lot more memorable catchy tunes!

Offline king metroid

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
+2
The gameplay is pretty great, but I have noticed it's pretty difficult.

Hm, I thought the game was actually pretty easy. Aside from Dodging and the QTEs, the whole game consisted of me pressing the attack button again and again without really thinking. I've heard lots of people saying LoS was hard, but in truth any semblance of difficulty is due to enemies being able to tank hit after hit. They don't require skill to defeat, they just require time. The same is true of the bosses.

I wouldn't call the gameplay great, either. It was passable at first, then eventually became monotonous.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 10:41:26 AM »
+1
The thing about LoS' soundtrack is, it matches the mood of the game. Try and play through the game with the volume off and turn up a Yamane soundtrack instead; it doesn't match at all (except for a few tracks.) SotN's OST is perfect for the game. Belmont's Revenge OST is perfect. It's all about different styles.

My fav LoS tune is Belmont's Theme, I listen to it every other day. Mirror of Fate, "The Den," is also a good track, albeit way too short. I can only hope LoS2 has a lot more memorable catchy tunes!
I'm fond of Unholy Church myself, which WAS in the original LoS, but I prefer it in MoF.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »
+1

I can get PS3/360 games for eight bucks at my local pawn shop.  And if I buy a bunch of them at once, they'll give me some of them for free.  :)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 07:15:21 PM »
+2
I think that's why the former is loved by a lot of people while the latter received lots of criticism or at least heavily conflicting opinions.             
Ten hairy guys arguing the same things on a messageboard for 5(!) years versus 2Million+ Sales is not what i'd call lots of criticism.

Glad you enjoyed the game OP, it's not perfect nor it is a masterpiece, but it laid good foundations and made a neccessary shake on the series. Even if future developers actively /avoid/ repating the LoS formula that would only cement it as the most improtant game of the series since SOTN.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:17:04 PM by Ahasverus »

Everything comes full circle

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »
+2
RE: LoS' soundtrack

Too many people in this thread apparently haven't played the 64 games and listened to the music therein. I like the OST to LoS. It's not obtrusive and it helps draw you in without being in your face, much like the music in the 64 games. 3D=!2D and as such, the soundtracks perform different functions. I don't know why that's such a difficult thing to understand.  :P

AS for the difficulty, it's difficult the first time you play through it, but once you know where to go, which attacks work best, etc, it's a relatively simple game, but a great one at that.

Tags: