Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is it necessary to attract children to Castlevania?  (Read 10816 times)

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
Re: Is it necessary to attract children to Castlevania?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 03:16:34 PM »
\

I'm sure you mean to say is, "Is it necessary to make Castlevania more attractive to kids?"

\

Yes, that's what I meant, I meant to word the title "Was it necessary to make Castlevania appealing to kids?"

And that's actually quite admirable of you, profbeanburrito. It seems nowadays so many Castlevania fans are pessimistic about one thing or another (like me and the anime art, for example), but you play them for the reason they're made; entertainment.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:26:20 PM by Azmodan »
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 07:34:37 PM »

And that's actually quite admirable of you, profbeanburrito. It seems nowadays so many Castlevania fans are pessimistic about one thing or another (like me and the anime art, for example), but you play them for the reason they're made; entertainment.

Hey thanks! When I was 5-years-old, so many years ago, the first game I owned by myself (my bro and I shared games growing up)Was Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. And I remember playing that game all the time, even if the farthest I could get was the swamp. So for me, and I'm sure a lot of you too, Castlevania has a very special place in my heart. I'll agree there are things I don't like now and then but even through all the ups and downs of the series I'll always continue to play it no matter what.

Think about this though, Kojima's not going to do CV art forever, and Iga's not always going to be with the series either. It's going to change. Everything about it is at some point. There's not a whole lot we can do about it, so even if there's something you don't like try and make the best of it and enjoy it for its good points.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »
They should almost put alcoholic beverages on there, even though they couldn't. : P A dozen or so 12~14 year olds where busted with underages not to far away from me... I swear kids are drinking younger and younger... geeez. : P

But I honestly find it a plus if the artwork turns out good for ANY game, in my eyes that is. It lets me connect more on the game perhaps, I dunno. But I do know that I'd like to see the older style of artwork come back to Castlevania... Dracula Chronicles X is going in the right direction I think!

Offline diobrando

• Castlevania Chronicler
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 10:02:02 PM »
In general, attracting a younger audience to the world of Castlevania is good. Coz cmon, we all started out playing Castlevania when we were young and all grew up with it. Why close the doors of Castlevania to new players? Although that said, Castlevania must NOT look kiddie. I mean we all grew up playing Castlevania sporting artwork that are definitely NOT kiddie, so why do we need to do that just to attract a new audiences to the mix? IGA should keep all the qualities that make Castlevania so good and improve on it, while making the series accomodating for new players. Why not have a selectable difficulty in the first place to begin with so that BOTH veteran players and newbies can appreciate the new Castlevania games in their own ways.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 02:32:55 PM »
According to Koji, when he was making the gba games a study was conducted that showed the artwork wasn't in accordance to the handheld they were on(being that the target gameboy audience are minors). Thus, the decision was made for the DS games to have a more kid-friendly look, since the age demographic that owns DS are mainly youngin's. On the other hand, he was asked if the decision to change artists was a good one; he stated that he believes him & his team half-succeeded, whatever that means.

Honestly, If the next DS game has similar artwork, will that stop any of you complaining from buying it? It's really not a big deal.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 11:45:06 PM »
In Reply To #20

I'll definitely still buy it, though I'd much prefer a darker, more gothic style of artwork. I think IGA knows the anime style doesn't fit Castlevania, and the kicker is, that despite all that research (which, I think a LOT of things are actually OVERresearched these days) they STILL didn't get it right.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 12:03:48 AM »
Honestly, If the next DS game has similar artwork, will that stop any of you complaining from buying it? It's really not a big deal.
If it'll be as bad as por, i'll probably pirate it.

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 01:36:48 AM »
Decisions like kiddie-fying the DS games does seem to smack of a company decision.  IGA has more-or-less admitted the series cannot continue as it is and will need to change at some stage.  There

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 10:24:36 AM »
I wouldn't mind it broading out, I just don't want it to have to dumb down to Yu Gi Oh! status just to get there.  Keep it gothic and dark, but change whatever else is needed to make it work. 

Offline Marto

• Kojima fan :)
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Marto's Art
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 08:16:27 AM »
I wouldn't mind it broading out, I just don't want it to have to dumb down to Yu Gi Oh! status just to get there.  Keep it gothic and dark, but change whatever else is needed to make it work. 

Agreed. We don't need something that has a distinct style to change. I mean, to me it makes no sense why they'd even call it Castlevania if they changed its course.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »
Quote from: Azmodan
Is it necessary to attract children to Castlevania?

Dracula: Psst! Hey! Hey, boy! You there! Come here, I have some candy for you!
Child: No way mister!
Dracula: Why not? I have candy, don't you want it?
Child: Mommy said I should not talk with evil old vampires that I don't know.
Dracula: I have some Castlevania for you.
Child: Hmmm... I don't know, does it have anime?
Dracula: Yep!
Child: And DragonBallZ-like action?
Dracula: You bet cha!
Child: And even girls with big boobs? And RPG elements?
Dracula: Plenty 'o them!
Child: Yay! Let's go mister!
Dracula: Bwahahahahaha
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 10:39:27 AM »
In Reply To #26

That's very nice. It make me laugh for some time. Nice thinking.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline NicholasDuffy

• Castlevania 1986-Forever
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 04:17:32 PM »
Well I am 13 and I am very happy that there is a great game series but they have dimmed it down to anime cartoonish style games, and now CV lost it's gothic touch...

Tags:

anything