Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Trophies/Achievements  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Trophies/Achievements
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »
I am just curious about how everyone feels about them.
I personally don't really enjoy them, but I am a completionist (bordering on obsessive compulsive). If I have a game, I want 100% on it someday. I have friends though that don't care about them at all, never even bother to look at them, and I have met people online that only care about trophies, they boost and do whatever possible to avoid playing. I know a guy that had someone invite him to different boss battle on Borderlands so he could get a quick trophy boost. (Great game, so it kinda pissed me off)
Well, how do you feel about em?
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:11:07 AM »
I used to care about them. In the end they're stupid and useless.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline ShinAkumaXX

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: Trophies/Achievements
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:40:02 AM »
I think for some games it gives players a better excuse to replay the game. Some I know I'll never get. Playing games on insane mode, or extra hard difficulties is just not fun at all to me. I try and get them if they are reasonable. A lot of them made me get better at games and do things I would of otherwise not realized I could. Like putting a grenade in someones pocket on Fallout 3 to blow them up. I like them, even if they don't really earn you anything.

Offline VeteranVk

• Hunter in Training
  • Vampire killing since 1988
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:59 AM »
I personally never really payed much attention to trophies. They seem to be more like bragging rights more than anything else. Out of the games I own, I only had 100% on one game ever which was Wolfenstein3D from the ps store and that only happened because they were pretty much achieved as one goes through the game one time. Oddly enough my first, and probably my only platinum trophy came from LoS.
I now Prossess a what?

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:18:15 AM »
Yeah, I thought originally they would be a sort of bragging rights thing but there are trophy websites where people boost to get them so that they don't have to do any work. I have people on my friend's list that brag about their platinum trophies which are all Hannah Montana, Shrek, and Disney/Pixar movie-games. And these people are 20-33 yrs old.
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:40:57 AM »
Unless trophy collecting in games serves any real purpose like unlocking secret characters, or allowing you to access cheats, etc. then there really is no need for them.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »
Eh, they're okay, depending on what they are. Like you guys said, if they're fairly obtainable, and if going for one adds to the experience of the game, I'll get one. Otherwise I don't really care.

And what a lot of people who obsess over achievements don't realize is that nobody really cares about gamerscores, anyway, except for their own.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »
I hate 'em because they don't actually do anything in the game. I miss finding secret goodies and having them actually DO something, like unlock some neato stuff. That in-game unlockable idea seems to be dying out in favor of gaining achievements and trophies which do diddly squat.

They're more useless than bragging about a score in a game. Who really cares? I don't.

Edit: Or, I should say, "Who really cares besides this guy?"

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:11:35 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: