Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: GOP of Maine attacks Democratic Senate Candidate for playing World of Warcraft  (Read 7288 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Shaft and balls... I dont even knew that Shaft plays golf xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
The propaganda is geared mainly toward the fact that she plays games, and enjoys fantasy worlds. That's not my point. It's the message these quotes send. People can have any hobby they wan't within reason, but the sheer volume of these comments portraying her as some creepy WoW addicted lazy annoying hyper-mouthed girl, is a little concerning. You DID see the actual full compilation site with all the quotes, right? If not, go read the whole thing, or at least a large sample. You'll know what I'm talking about then.

Gunlord summed it up pretty nicely though. No sense in repeating it.

What volume? They gave 51 quotes total. 13 were political about 7 were specifically negative towards Republican and or the Tea Party movement. The rest were mostly normal conversation for online gaming in general with terms and jargon that might sound bad when taken completely out of context as they were. And on top of that all instances of  slacking off at work are prior to 2009 when she wasn't running for office, and there were even three instances where she said she was lazy or had no time from after 2009 that were taken out of context, but if you read the whole post she was referring to not having time to play WoW. So to your point of the message these quote sent, is all an illusion carefully crafted to make her look as bad as possible. I could do the same exact thing to you right here on this forum and make you look like an devil worshiping, goth that is addicted to a demonic video game series. I can take quotes of my own that taken individually make me look like a raging alcoholic, but the truth is I only drink an alcoholic beverage maybe two or three time a month. And it would all be bullshit. Because that's what this type of propaganda is. It's completely meaningless. "...portraying her as some creepy WoW addicted lazy annoying hyper-mouthed girl..." is exactly what they were trying to do.
If you actually want to know the truth you'll do what I did which is follow the links to the original posts and read them all IN CONTEXT which is the only way to really get an idea for of what she was actually saying.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:38:33 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
I'm with Gunlord here. I couldn't care less about a candidate's hobbies, but I really would have preferred a politician who does more useful things with his/her free time other than play MMORPGs or watch cinema or whatever. 
God knows I love movies, books and video games but I don't have time for them when I study, even more so if I join a political movement and would have to dedicate the rest of my time to social activities.

Then, if they are digging that stuff up from her past (in before she went into politics) to hurt her, now that's dirty politics. Using a person's past habits against him is a nasty, though acceptable tool in political propaganda.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
+2
Republicans are stuck in the past and only care about the super rich.  They also use the most underhanded tactics to win.  So what if a politician plays video games.  Video games can remove stress.  Plus, playing MMOs can help people gain experience being part of a team.  The fact that the GOP considers them a waste of time just shows how little they know and understand about video games. 

Sometimes it's good to take a break when you're really busy and playing a videogame can help you relax and blow off some steam.  In other words, they can act as a therapy. 

I really pity anyone who doesn't understand this.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Republicans are stuck in the past and only care about the super rich.  They also use the most underhanded tactics to win.  So what if a politician plays video games.  Video games can remove stress.  Plus, playing MMOs can help people gain experience being part of a team.  The fact that the GOP considers them a waste of time just shows how little they know and understand about video games.

Sometimes it's good to take a break when you're really busy and playing a videogame can help you relax and blow off some steam.  In other words, they can act as a therapy.

I really pity anyone who doesn't understand this.

*NOD NOD NOD* Yep, I agree.

No, no, I just like joking around and stuff. I just say 'mew' and *purrs at X contentedly* all the time, it's just one of my cutesy Gunlordisms, like "prunyuu~" and calling everyone "-sama." XD

What the Deuce?!?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
http://kotaku.com/5953790/us-senator-really-hates-it-when-federal-money-goes-to-video-games <- Related

Never mind that the AI being developed has the potential for many practical uses in government and the private sector. Just another example of a politician crying "Games bad ugh!" this time the Republican Senator from Oklahoma.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I'm with Gunlord here. I couldn't care less about a candidate's hobbies, but I really would have preferred a politician who does more useful things with his/her free time other than play MMORPGs or watch cinema or whatever. 
God knows I love movies, books and video games but I don't have time for them when I study, even more so if I join a political movement and would have to dedicate the rest of my time to social activities.

Then, if they are digging that stuff up from her past (in before she went into politics) to hurt her, now that's dirty politics. Using a person's past habits against him is a nasty, though acceptable tool in political propaganda.
How you bounce back and forth, maybe you should be running for office! ;D

"I could care less about a candidate's hobbies" is almost completely negated by ",BUT I really would have preferred a politician who does more useful things with his/her free time other than play MMORPGs or watch cinema or whatever.". It's like trying to play both sides of the fild. Reminds me of the South Park episode were Chef was protesting the racist flag, and they interviewed the people of South Park on the matter.

I think it is history, I think it is racist.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
How you bounce back and forth, maybe you should be running for office! ;D

"I could care less about a candidate's hobbies" is almost completely negated by ",BUT I really would have preferred a politician who does more useful things with his/her free time other than play MMORPGs or watch cinema or whatever.". It's like trying to play both sides of the field.

Hehehe I guess you're kinda right. It reminds me of a course I had last year about the structure of Israel's political system. The lecturer worked really hard to be politically neutral, and that's not simple when you talk of the parties in my country, believe me.
I remember how he once said "Ever since 1967 there were those in Israeli politics who advocated retreating from territories in exchange for peace, while others had a... quite different point of view."  :rollseyes:
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Tags: