Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The future of the Elder Scrolls series  (Read 2259 times)

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
The future of the Elder Scrolls series
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:56:38 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Elder Scrolls series. I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim, but I know a fair amount about the first 3 games. And while I would enjoy an sixth game (ESO doesn't count), I've noticed that the series is dumbing itself down with each new title. I know that in Morrowind that you couldn't be apart of every guild and organization yet in Oblivion and Skyrim you could. Not to mention that Skyrim completely did away with attributes and classes which for the most part made so that by mid game it didn't really matter what race or gender you chose (the only real difference being early in the game). And let's not for get how little sneaking and how blunt the Thieves Guild quests in Skyrim were.

If there is an Elder Scrolls 6, that they bring back attributes and classes. Cause without them, the games are too easy.

What do all of you think?
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: The future of the Elder Scrolls series
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:45:29 AM »
I love classlessness. I just think it would be better if there were way to benefit more if you followed a certain path.

Like in Ultima Online, you could go fighter. Sure, you can go into blacksmithy, but what benefits you would be Anatomy because it adds more damage.

Having skills benefit each other a certain way would make a classless game still gear towards a more skillset driven game that would lessen your ability to do other things. They just need to think out the skills better, instead of just going full tang that everything is good on it's own.

Even without the pots to raise balcksmithy, you make perfectly awesome armor, since the armor ratings really drop off after a certain amount.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
Skyrim was lazy, REALLY lazy.
I think that the series should combine the elements from oblivion and morrowind, but do have some modern features like skyrim, but not make it borderlined autoplay.
Example, Quest markers
Quest tells you where to go, No Marker due to not knowing the place exists
Ask Around, get directions
"Go east from riverwood", Marks Riverwood, once there, it "points you to the direction"
The more specific the information, the more detailed the marker can get.
This gives the game the modern handhold, but doesn't break immersion.

I would also love to see the fatigue bar back, as well as other features like Food regains stamana, but hurts you if you eat too much.
Blacksmithing and Alchemy can be turned into a mini game which improves the quality of the craft based on how well you do.
Also I think that the next game should put more into immersion, it would be great to be able to get lost in the game.

Overall I can't say skyrim is too bad, I spent over 50 hours on Xbox and 100+ hours on PC, only bad thing is that I refuse to play it anymore now

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
I never said Skyrim was a bad game. It just seemed like a step down from Oblivion in terms of gameplay and how in the end it didn't seem to matter what race you chose. I don't really mind not having classes, but I would like to see attributes return and for male and female to have different attributes so that gender actually mattered. This way there would be more variety and more replay value. For example, a male Altmer could have more magicka than a female Altmer, but the female could have faster magicka regen than the male. This way race and gender actually matter the whole game. Not to mention I'd like to see the return of Birthsigns as opposed to standing stones. Being able to change stones made Skyrim too easy. At least with Birthsigns you were locked in for the whole game.

I don't know. Just my opinion.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »
What makes Skyrim bad for me is the severe lack of character creation options. Games like Dragons Dogma has lots of options so there was no reason why Bethesda had to be so limited with Skyrim. Other issues (and I can't stress this enough) is the save bloating. What should be happening is whenever you begin a new game or delete the old one, everything should be reset. But that's not the case in Skyrim. Somehow the bloated files are retained after the fact and carry over to the next game, making it much more congested to play through until you can't play it anymore. Then it just becomes a hassle to make sure everything related to Skyrim(and I do mean EVERYTHING) is uninstalled so that you won't have to deal with the bloat issue once you reinstall the game again. If not the bloat will still be there. And just when you though you have a freshly installed game to play?--you can't because of the f@#king bloat issue!! Bethesda wasn't smart with this at all. Just as they weren't smart when they built the game using outdated concepts and engine capabilities when they knew they had much better things at their disposal. The game should not have won all the awards that it did considering this fact as well as all the bugs and other issues like missing quest markers and such. I had a work colleague who play through the XBOX360 version and she told me that she was unable to complete twelve quests because of the bugs/missing quest markers issue. Did nobody at Bethesda test this game prior to release?? I really enjoyed playing Skyrim while i was able to and it is the first game that got me hooked on the Elder Scrolls series but... It's just one roadblock after another with that game. Playing it on the PC with lots of mods definitely makes Skyrim far more stable to play and more worthwhile, especially when it comes to game performance, memory, updating the graphics, bug corrections, etc. Increasing the character creation options was an added bonus too.

For a future elder scrolls game I would like to see absolutely none of the issues mentioned above. I would also like to see a much bigger, more immersive world then ever before, lots and lots of character creation options, bring back the armor setup that was in Morrowind, make lots and lots of different types of armors, clothing, robes, etc. Same deal with weapons and staffs. In general just make everything much better so that it rivals even Oblivion cause both Skyrim and ESO has not done that.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything