Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Meanwhile, Ayami Kojima...  (Read 45294 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 12:52:23 PM »
Most of the images you posted were used as backgrounds. The 3D models of the LoS concept art do not look like the art. A good example would be comparing this:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9sgmtE7B11qasabwo1_500.jpg

to this:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/34626/1550348-gabrielbelmont2_super.png

The first image is art of Gabe. The second is a 3D model of Gabe. There are some similarities present, but at no point in the game does Gabe even come close to looking like this first image I posted. Even MS couldn't translate Gabe's art directly into the game. The same could be said for just about every game artist too.
would have been awesome if Gabe had that hair.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
Quote's sprite in Cave Story is pretty bad in general with its wonky misshapen anatomy, but I think it is close enough to the intended design. But yeah, not even the fluidity of fabric and hair seen in the Gabriel or Kojima artwork is in LoS. I think the best example of fluidity was in Leon's coat.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
despite the mistakes she has made in the past, this image alone makes up for all of it IMO

ps: shitty quality is due to the nature of the scan & doesn't represent the quality of the artwork itself

What are these?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
God Ahasverus... you really like to suck David's Cox huh!?

Did you know that Castlevania was actually better in the past?

Do you really think doing a 2D sprites on par to artworks is easy? Go look on Cave Story if Pixel's Quote even looks like the game Quote. Or if the concept arts of this new remake of Cave Story even looks like the game itself.

Even on LOS, the artwork didn't look nothing like the real game.

You're trying to be clever, but I see it as an insult to another forum-goer.
Be careful how you post what you post.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Meanwhile, Ayami Kojima...
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 12:34:37 AM »
What are these?

Belmont (pictured left) Dracula (pictured right)
hope they come to life and start fighting like in Van He....oh......

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2011, 03:56:11 AM »
Belmont (pictured left) Dracula (pictured right)
Obviously. But where are they from and for what purpose were they made?

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Meanwhile, Ayami Kojima...
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2011, 04:19:31 AM »
They are artwork she did for one of the many 'vania soundracks, I believe. Forget which one though.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2011, 04:24:57 AM »
Obviously. But where are they from and for what purpose were they made?
They were featured on the big Castlevania BOX Collection released last year.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »
despite the mistakes she has made in the past, this image alone makes up for all of it IMO

Holy Guacamole!!  :o

For a second there, I thought that those are ancient Orthodox Church icons, and then I saw the whip and Dracula!!!
Now THOSE are surely items worthy of worship!  ;D 
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »
Ayami Kojima's character designs CAN be rendered in 3D quite easily(maybe more easily than Amano's). Anybody who says otherwise lacks vision. It's not like Kojima's going to design backgrounds too. There's different artists that work on games, and some are specifically dedicated to character designs(which Ayami would be), while others are dedicated to the world's look. Just like in the Final Fantasy games, Tetsuya Nomura DOESN'T design the look of the world, only the characters. You have other artists like Yusuke Naora and Isamu Kamikokuryo who particularly create the way the world looks(as well as art pieces depicting Nomura's characters WITHIN the world, which interestingly enough, often are credited to Nomura falsely). Just like making a movie, creating a video game is a team effort. It's not the old NES days where you had only a couple of artists working on the game's look. Each artist adds a bit of their own flair to the project.

But yeah, I believe Ayami's character designs CAN be translated fairly damn well if they were to make a new CV game for, say, PS3 or X360, and asked her to participate. The probablity of their rendering coming off good is probably the same as Nomura's. Amano would harder, considering his style is more watercolor and less sharp(unless he's doing a pure ink art piece). Though, as seen in Dissidia, you CAN have a "middle man" who takes character designs that are hard to translate into 3D models(in Dissida's case, Nomura) and MAKE then easier while still retaining the basic look and feel of the original designs. I've always been a fan of Amano's work, and it killed me that we might never see it in a video game looking true to his style(his style is eccentric, motley, airy with a mixture of Eastern and Western cultural styles). But with certain artists acting as "middle men", his work CAN be idealized in video games(even more so now than ever before).

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »
Werent CoD's models close to Ayami's designs? Well, the faces were anyway.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2011, 01:45:21 PM »
They were, more so than LoI. The costumes translated pretty damn well in 3D too. Though, with leaps in graphics we've seen from then to now, they'd surely be able to make models look even more like Ayami's designs. Tweak little things even more to get the sheen just right.

Tags: