Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: F**k Microsoft  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:14:12 AM »
I know I'm not the first one to say that, I know I won't be the last.
Fuck Microsoft. I'm sick of their shit. I know the company provided me with most of the software I'm using, and I'm thankful for that. But you know what pisses me off? Their tenancy to "update", "renew", and "improve" everything, in the process changing the interface I've known and used for years. 
I don't need any of your "super-trendy-space interface". Just give me the programs I know and like, without messing them up by "updating" them.

I've recently bought a laptop. It came with a windows 7 installed on it, which has an interface I find annoying, but I'd ignore that. What's worse is that it has the newest version of MS Office installed.
The new Office also has a new interface which takes time to get used to (Why not leave the regular toolbar? dammit!). Personally I don't need much of the office tools. I mainly use MS Word for writing stories and documents. So here I was, typing a story, and once I got back to my PC, I copied the document from the laptop and tried to view it--- but HEY WHAT'S THAT .DOCX? WTF is docx?
Thank you Microsoft you screwed me over! You changed the format and now I can't use the document with older version of Office! I need a fu**king "converter"? What for?!! It's just  fu**king words, binary information, you don't NEED any converter to read this shit!!

Oh, God. All of this is bullshit.  :P 
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3

Yes, you do need a converter because they changed to a different XML based format. Which is better for everyone in the long run. Files aren't "just  fu**king words" as you so gracefully put it. The order and length of each piece of data is strictly important for the old file types. The XML format not quite as much though, which is one of the reasons for the change.

As for the program changes; deal with it. It only use to work for you because you are use to it. Fact is the new format is much more intuitive to people who haven't used Word before, because it follows a general process line of writing an actual physical paper. This is basically what they should have done from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:25:54 AM by uzo »

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »
Yeah, I actually agree with uzo.

At first I didn't like it much, but I got used to the operating system's interface pretty quickly. So much in fact, that it surprised me. I never learned to use Excel before the new Office, so I took a class that taught it at my university. It turns out that the new Word's setup is pretty much the same as Excel's, though only including things relevant to Word rather than graphing and such in Excel. So by learning Excel, I learned Word, and now I find it really easy to write papers and such for classes(my primary reason for owning a computer, along with internet access). Now I'm so used to it, I tried to use an old version of Word, and I had some trouble finding things. I like the new ribbon system.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
Yeah my brother, I felt the same way the first time I was dealing with the change from .doc to .docx. Like uzo-sama said, though, you just gotta get used to it. It'll grow on you eventually.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »
or ya know... just use google docs and do it all from your fav browser and be able to access it any where...

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:12:51 AM »
....just get the latest office with a Activation loop, all the latest MS stuff has Activation Loops.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 08:20:27 AM »
Although I agree with Uzo and Gecko, I stopped using Microsoft Office when they switched to that weird blue bubbly-style interface.  Whether that includes any changes, I just didn't like the look.  Because of this, I switched to OpenOffice.  Also, I don't need to pirate OpenOffice since, y'know, it's free and all.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags:

anything