Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So, I have this project idea, but I will need help from the community.  (Read 3267 times)

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
I am honestly nervous about posting this idea, but since I have really taken a thought to it, I want to make this thought an action.  With for how old the series is, I believe its time we preserve the series for future generations and do something as a sort of "Thank You" to Konami for bringing us a franchise that most of us have grown up with.

I will need serious help from the community, either it to become a website and or an actual book (which I will need to get permission from Konami itself in order to publish such a book.) But I want to create a book that chronicles not only the individual timelines, but the methodology and psychology, the music itself, and of course the mythological references and demonology behind each monster that a famed vampire hunter would face inside the Demon Castle. With such a feat, I believe it would be a huge endeavor to endure, perhaps I may even be wasting my time. But I believe the series should be secured and loved to be passed on to generations.

The other reason to this, is that the "vampire" itself has been pussified. Dumbed down and it seems, younger generations are forgotten who Dracula really is (i.e the novel). And I believe, we the fans can help secure not only the wonderful novel, but the series itself.

I probably sound stupid, so if no one agrees, just ignore and or delete this post.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: So, I have this project idea, but I will need help from the community.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:18:10 PM »
It's a good sentiment. Though probably more doable as a website than a book if only for the complications of potentially having so many different authors. Have you considered writing some articles for the Castlevania Dungeon website along these lines?

PS- This should probably be in fan stuff and I or another mod may move it later.

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:26:16 PM »
I've thought about it, but I can be very quite shy at times. xD But lately, I've been wanting to stretch my writing side out a bit, because its one of my talents. I may consider it. (:

Offline 13th Street

• Hunter in Training
  • Mori, monstru!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »
+2
Everything you've described sounds like a great idea and could potentially broaden the series' appeal if done right. This seems even more necessary due to LoS. Castlevania chronology hasn't been this f**ked up since the late 90s, and could use its own 'Hyrule Historia', in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:22:06 PM by 13th Street »

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:58:26 AM »
That's exactly what I mean. There is another book, (it might be the one you are speaking of) that talks about the psychology behind The Legend of Zelda, that inspired me to actually overtake something like this. The series itself is a gem, an icon so to speak and I feel that the series itself was very important to video game history back during the day. It really angers me when people call it a clone of this or that, but I don't get overly angry and start attacking random people.

There are many franchises out there, that are influenced by this beloved series and I feel its time the fanbase actually unites, instead of fight amongst themselves on which style of Castlevania is better.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 03:13:22 AM »
Assuming it's going to be a book, how many pages would it roughly be? What would the table of contents be, and how much would you like to spend on each topic? It seems to me you want to write a fanbook. That's a terrific idea.

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
I'm not really too sure on how long the actual book would be. Honestly, because it is such a huge feat, it would probably end up as one of them huge books with lots of pages. But that is just theoretical. But honestly, I've never published a book before (its something I'd like to do in the future.) It would probably end up as a website, or special articles for the CVD. But I'm thinking about titling it "The Demon Castle: (Sub title here)", or something along the lines.  The feat itself will be a huge endeavor, lots of time and research.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »
It's a nice idea, and ambitious too.  If you were to put a high-quality book together, I would buy it for a reasonable price.  But I think you would need Konami's go-ahead in order to make anything that you would be selling.  It's a real kick in the nuts:  we've already thanked Konami by giving them lots of money for their games and memorabilia.  It's really them who should be thanking us for making them an enduring business.  Yet if you were to do something like this, you would need to pay them again to license their intellectual property.

Of course, if you just did a website you wouldn't need to license anything.  But then, there's tons of CV websites already.

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:21:43 PM »
I probably sound stupid, so if no one agrees, just ignore and or delete this post.
You don't. It's a good idea. Even if you won't be able to finish it, you'll get yourself some useful experience. So... it's a good thing.

At first, you can try to write something really short - like a magazine - 10-25 pages (with lots of pictures). After that you can always make a "part 2",3, 4 and so on... Then you combine it into one and - ta-da! - you have a book! ;D Sounds easy.   

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
+1

Although the idea sounds good on paper (no pun intended), the truth of the matter is, such a project in book form will no doubt take several years to finish, considering you want to cover everything the series has to offer in minute detail. a dedicated website is more feasable from a technical standpoint, but even that will be a daunting task and i feel it will just become a glorified Castlevania Wiki, which already exists. those of us that would say "sure i'll help!" will no doubt drop out early on or months into the project, either by declaring so or more likely, "disappearing" with no notice. I just don't think all the people that are willing to sign on will still be there by the time it's all "finished" (considering it gets that far), because we all have other responsibilities and are just unable to dedicate the amount of time we want to, or more likely, just become lazy and disillusioned with the project. Then there's the majority in the community that say "sounds awesome! let me know when you're finished." and offer no help at all. It happens all the time. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but it's true, especially with dealing with people over the internet. I know this doesn't apply to all fan projects of this calibur, but those are the exceptions and are certainly in the minority.

I feel the best bet is to find a core group of individuals you know personally and have no trouble with contacting them, that way ideas can get exchanged easily and a nice foundation. Or people you've known online for years (not just by their username/online persona, a genuine friendship), that you know won't bail on the project for whatever reason. Then gradually recruit whoever else that's willing to help (strangers on the forums, i.e. most of us). Perhaps I'm thinking too deep about this, but it's just my opinion on the matter prunyuu~

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 01:31:51 AM »
+1
What Crisis said is true.

The longer a project takes, the harder it is to keep collaborators in, especially with internet people. Real life responsibilities will always come in and crash the party.
---

Anyway, a book sounds nice, but I don't know if Konami would be willing to give you the rights. And if they agree, I'm sure they would request a certain date when the project will be finished. That would be troublesome.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 02:32:46 AM »
I worked on lots of projects invlving multiple people, and if you aim for something big, be sure to have the right collaborators. The idea is great, and I hope it will be more than just a paper version of the CV Wiki :D

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 02:41:39 AM »
Regarding gaining license from Konami, don't you have to own or be part of a profitable company for them to even take your request seriously?

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
What you all have stated is true. The project itself seems like a very hard-feat. Even to publish something of such a scale. Maybe it is better off as a website, or as articles. I doubt Konami would be interested in such a thing.

Tags: