Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why a whip?  (Read 7271 times)

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Why a whip?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
I brought this topic up a few years ago and most of the people on this forum were not to kind. I'm glad to see that we are being civil and actually discussing it this time.

On topic, I agree with Vampire Hunter D theory (I love the book series btw). Let's also not forget that Alucard is also based on D.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
I brought this topic up a few years ago and most of the people on this forum were not to kind.

what did i do to you¿  :-X

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Why a whip?
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
what did i do to you¿  :-X
I don't remember anyone specific, but i do remember a few people saying the topic was stupid and that whips were better period. That is all. I was just noting a difference between now and when I had brought of the topic. And, let's just leave it at that. The past is the past and let's just look forward.

The question still stands: why a whip? and yes, swords are overdone. I still like using them, but they are still overdone.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 01:51:25 PM »
Whip is so unconventional, compared to swords or guns, that's why

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
Whip is so unconventional, compared to swords or guns, that's why

I think that's one of the main reasons I like it so much.  I'm sure there is some nostalgia for me...I remember loving the game but not being able to do the bosses, so I always had to have dad do that.  However, I remember kinda "rediscovering" Castlevania games with the two on the N64.  Seeing Reinhardt use the whip, and remembering the original Castlevania...well, I fell in love with the whip and it's unconventionality!  Nobody used whips then!  But the Belmonts did...because that's how they rolled.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 07:15:25 PM »
If you think about it the original CV is kinda a goofy game. Using a whip to fight monsters is kinda a goofy idea. So, maybe the two go hand in hand?

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 08:07:30 PM »
Wait...other than possibly the idea of fighting monsters with a whip, I'm curious what you think is kinda goofy about the original CV?

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
It's mostly the classic monsters you fight that I think are goofy. Not to mention eagles dropping flea men, infinite Medusa heads, finding meat in walls, the credits at the end are goofy too(yes I get the references). It's not goofy in a bad way but to me it's goofy nonetheless.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
+1
I forgot about the credits!! X-D
I like the classic monsters, particularly since so many have ties into mythology, which I've always loved.  But eagles dropping flea men and wall meat are definitely odd and goofy things!  Besides, it's not like things didn't stay (or become more) goofy...Yorick, for example. ;-)

Offline RegalSin

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 11:12:07 PM »
"Indiana Jones" was popular at the time ( given the high birth rates, and Christian era love ), as well as, Bondage, Discipline, Dominance, Submission, Sadism, Masochism, and Goth, was also the norm. The problem with todays society in some cases, these things work out well.

"We gotta whip the devil out of you Jim"

"Tamed horses"

"That is some good, paddling"

Speaking of which, whipping, was and is still the most popular usage, of punishment in many nations around the world. From policing in first world nations, to correcting small children in third world nations. I can still remember those days, when we wanted to go for the sword, or the long-rang weapon, but then I remembered god, and Dracula ( the devil ) flew away, from my body in that instant.

Also a really, really, really, really, heavy whip, that is strong enough, can cut through, meat, and break bones, based on the persons own strength. It can be a really deadly weapon. in CV the whip is also blessed, and the user is considered a saint, in the matter. Yeah we gotta whip the devils out of mother earth.

Also think about it. CV logic takes place ( gets its mojojo from ) in the dark ages, the black plague, the little ice age, and so forth. What was it like back then in the post Roman empire being ruled by Bishops, Priests, and the Roman Catholic Church itself. Till this day, the Pope had said "Europe is rampid, with a veil of Sin" ( something like that ). Chances are they used whips, alot.

Tags:

anything