Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Your very first Castlevania experience  (Read 33458 times)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Your very first Castlevania experience
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
If it's a topic that's over a year old, Sabin, you should really make a new thread rather than reviving an ancient one. Still, you put a lot of thought into your post, so I'll let it slide this time. Just remember to make a new thread rather than necroposting, next time.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2014, 12:18:46 AM »
My first exposure to CV was this SNES book that worked as a sort of strategy guide for a number of different titles. I saw SCV4 first, but the first page shows pictures of the previous three games and provided a brief description and history.

A couple years later, an obsessed gamer friend (more so than even me at the time) had the original NES game. Even though I was crappy at it and couldn't be the first boss, I thought it was awesome. I loved the atmosphere. I was already really big into Dracula beforehand, so this was just icing on the cake.

Dorky side note: I created a Castlevania Tag game back in elementary school.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »
Castlevania Tag?  You may need to indulge us... :-)

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »
Okay, it's kind of dumb. Bare with me. I loved to pretend, role play, whatever as a kid. If I didn't get weird looks from people I'd probably still be in my back yard being Batman, Luke Skywalker, James Bond, Egon Spengler, or Sonic the Hedgehog. But we don't get that luxury as adults. Anyway...

So our elementary school playground had a rather tall jungle gym that usually ended up being used as a castle, base, etc. for whatever kids were using it that recess. This jungle gym was Castle Dracula. You would have one "vampire" as the tagger and numerous other kids as the potential victims. The vampire would tag someone and add another vampire/tagger to their ranks. Then number of taggers would increase until there was only one person left who didn't get tagged. They were the winner. I remember a lot of kids in my class really liking it and playing it, even if it was kids I didn't associate with. But then some kid got the brilliant idea, "Hey, let's play Castlevania Tag on the ground!" Defeating the whole purpose and challenge behind the game. It became Grass Tag. Grasslevania Tag.

That kid... what a jackass.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »
That's actually kinda cool!  I'd probably play it (and other imagination games too) if not for the weird looks.  Although, it's not uncommon for me to do something for the sole purpose of getting a weird look.  So...the original game was on the jungle gym?  Like entirely?  (That's the only way I can understand how it would make sense why the one kid ruined it by playing on the ground.)

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »
Yeah, Castlevania revolves around Castle Dracula. So did the tag game. The challenge of it was the increasing lack of room to go to with each successive tag.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Tags:

anything