Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I started playing Dante's Inferno yesterday  (Read 6963 times)

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: I started playing Dante's Inferno yesterday
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 06:09:29 PM »
I finished Chapter 2 in LoS and this game is pretty much dead to me.  Are the first two chapters an indication of how the rest of the game is going to play in terms of forcing you to trudge through obnoxious bosses that take forever to whittle down their health, constantly spam QTEs at you the moment you start to make any kind of progress, and automatically regenerate 30% of their health for no reason if you miss any of their QTEs?  Or does LoS just have a really bad start and I'm eventually going to get to the point where it's actually, you know, fun?

Well, this is just my opinion, but it does have some cool environments later, but that's pretty much the game to me.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 06:21:36 PM »
btw, Chapter 2 isn't really a good indicator because it's mindfuckishly compared to the rest of the game.  It's nine segments long.  I skimmed over a guide for the rest of the game and saw the rest of the chapters only have about four parts each, and Chapter 5 is a little bit longer with seven parts. 

I have no idea why they made Chapter 2 that long considering how much filler they use.  It reuses areas and makes you do a bunch of dumb Banjo-Tooie collection gimmicks to complete the levels.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:54 PM »
Am I the only one wondering if Waffle's beaten Inferno yet, since he's on LoS now?

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 03:13:25 AM »
I thought that was obvious.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 03:19:52 AM »
Well you went from nipples to Patrick Stewart. I suppose that was obvious, but...

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 03:11:36 PM »
“Hey, I have a great idea.  Let’s make our version of Olrox be a big cheap obnoxious piece of shit where there’s four werewolves in the room and at different parts of the boss battle, the game will just abruptly stop and show a heavily scripted cutscene where Olrox starts to eat one of the werewolves to regenerate a quarter of his health.  And we’ll deliberately lock the player out of controlling Gabriel every time Olrox uses this ability, so the cutscene will always play, Olrox will always regain at least a quarter of his health, and Gabriel will always just stand there watching him for a few seconds before the player is allowed to interrupt Olrox’s health regeneration and kill the werewolf, even after they’ve figured out exactly when Olrox is scripted to heal himself.”

>”Uhh… why don’t you just give him a health bar that’s twice as long?  That’s all you’re really doing in practice.”

“No, we have to be IMMERSIVE and AMBITIOUS!”

>”Whatever, dude.”
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:50:58 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »
“Hey, I have a great idea.  Let’s make our version of Olrox be a big cheap obnoxious piece of shit where there’s four werewolves in the room and at different parts of the boss battle, the game will just abruptly stop and show a heavily scripted cutscene where Olrox starts to eat one of the werewolves to regenerate a quarter of his health.  And we’ll deliberately lock the player out of controlling Gabriel every time Olrox uses this ability, so the cutscene will always play, Olrox will always regain at least a quarter of his health, and Gabriel will always just stand there watching him for a few seconds before the player is allowed to interrupt Olrox’s health regeneration and kill the werewolf, even after they’ve has figured out exactly when Olrox is scripted to heal himself.”

>”Uhh… why don’t you just give him a health bar that’s twice as long?  That’s all you’re really doing in practice.”

“No, we have to be IMMERSIVE and AMBITIOUS!”

>”Whatever, dude.”

Basically. They would probably use the word "innovative" too if they gave this speech.

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 04:57:19 PM »
Ugh...QTEs. X-(

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »

Finished LoS.  The ending was pretty interesting.  So crossing the line and using evil-based magical powers to fight evil turns you subliminally evil so an evil Patrick Stewart guy can use you as a sleeper agent and make you kill people?

This reminds me of that one Maria fanfic I wrote.

Also, the modern Nick Fury-esque Zobek who appears in LoS1′s epilogue and throughout all of LoS2 is actually the original Zobek, right?  I mean the righteous and noble “Light” Zobek who ascended to godhood in ancient times and is only mentioned indirectly in LoS1 when the Shadow Lords are talking about how they were created.  And, like, the whole Satan situation has gotten so bad that the Zobek that time forgot has to return from the heavens and assemble the Vampire Avengers.  That would be a perfect way to tie all of the lore together, but I’m reading the LoS2 wiki right now and they’re making it sound like the LoS2 Zobek is the exact same Shadow dude from LoS1 and he’s still alive for no real reason.  But that would just be stupid, considering the Shadow version of Zobek was vaporized by Satan in LoS1′s ending.  It would be even stupider if Mercurysteam specifically came up with a storyline about how there’s two Cornells, Carmillas, and Zobeks running around and completely forgot about half of them.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:02:34 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 06:07:33 AM »
I'm stealing that image macro.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 06:19:10 AM »
I loved Dante's Inferno.
Supposedly there was some kind of a problem when it launched, because EA hired fake protesters to picket outside EA headquarters about the game and some deal about there being an achievement about killing the unbaptized babies enough times...
...but I missed all of that info. I got the game later and thought it was great.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 07:14:34 AM »
Aye, it is well and truly a splendid game. The oft-quoted GoW formula may be a bit stale, but hot damn did that game do atmosphere. It also has one of the coolest intro bosses I've seen and my absolute favorite incarnation of Death ever.

Plus how can you argue against a game with a BFDD in it?

Tags: