Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dr Wily returns... Hell freezes over... Megaman 9...  (Read 39254 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Dr Wily returns... Hell freezes over... Megaman 9...
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 11:03:53 PM »
In Reply To #12

Megaman Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were both very well done.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline MDI

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 11:42:22 PM »

ROCKMAN!! HELL YES!!!
*runs around screaming wildly like a girl on a pop concert*

Way to copy me.  :P

and this game better be on PS3 or 360...I wanna see Megaman in high res damnit.
:)

Offline Xain

• FIRE! FIRE!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 06:11:43 AM »
Also..I hope, that if this game is in fact true, it is still 2d. .

Well word on the street is that the game might be 8-bit. however, I've heard its up for digital distribution a'la XBL and PSN. I'm sure the 8 bit news is on some news site...try hitting up kotaku...i think i read it there.

Also...lets not speak of MMX7....such a waste of money on my part.

MM Battle Network Sig Project. And on the third day, Dr. Light said, "Let there be Roll."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 07:39:50 AM »
It's awesome they they're doing this, but with almost every Megaman game sucking for the past 5+ years, I wou;dn't be surprised if this did too

I don't know about that.  People already mentioned Megaman Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X, as well as the Zero titles, but I'm going to go ahead and add the MegaManZX series in there, because it's Freaking Sweet!

I'm excited for this title.  If it makes it to WiiWare I'll be very happy.  Any downloadable medium if it in fact ends up 8-bit.  I know Capcom Downmixed their "MegaMan Collection" so that while it looks and plays exactly like its NES counterpart, there's an underlying difference in the Pause Menu and other things (I guess they kept their source code, lolz).

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 08:43:28 AM »
Oh hell yes it was. Awesome level designer and awesome remake.

Hmm... I wonder how you went about this when all the sets were much too cute to do this.

Capcom released 4 stage themes strictly by internet.  2 of these can be reasonably adopted for castlevania stages.  The Halloween stage pack and the Ghosts and Ghouls stage pack.

A few fans simply recreated stages from the original Castlevania, but I was trying to make a more abmitious Castleroid design.  Where Megaman starts out the stage stripped of all his powers including his megasuit (essentially he gets downgraded to become Rock).  By exploring the Castle, he can reclaim his megasuit, slide, powershot and boss weaponsob to clear the obstacles throughout...

Strictly speaking the stage design rules wouldn't allow such a concept (multiple bosses, upgrading rock, etc..) but I figured out a way around that by breaking the stage down to multiple sections.  The complete "master" stage only exists on paper, but each each section would appear as a self contained "stage" on Capcom's network.

For example...  When a player downloads the first "stage" of my Castleroid...

Rock enters the castle and begins fighting his way toward a partyball boss.  Along the way the player notices obstacles that can't possibly be cleared without boss weapons (that Rock can't use without his Megasuit).  So a player that doesn't know that my "stage" is part of a larger design thinks..  WTF?

But what if that partyball boss actually held the megasuit inside --like a piniata?  So when you kick it open it looks like you clear the stage --but what if that boss chamber actually represented a "save point" --and thus a starting point for the next "stage".  And this time the player starts with the Megasuit...

Again I never finished my Castleroid design, as it proved very very difficult to implement all these ideas...  If I can get some time off before the OoE arrives maybe I'll take another shot at it....

BTW  --I actually DID finish another stage that I'm very proud of(spent 6 months on it)  Seeing as how this is a thread for megafans I can post the download info for anyone that has Megaman Powered Up.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »
In Reply To #20

Wow I didn't know at all about the extra stage sets.  :o

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »
If the rumors are true and the game is 8-bit, I hope they go the full mile and have that quasi-shitty box art American Mega Man games used to have. Not to mention an old fashioned title screen complete with roman numeral IX.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 10:49:01 PM »
This is here just for the music theme: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vLKuzdxp0UM

ROCKMAN!! HELL YES!!!
*runs around screaming wildly like a girl on a pop concert*

I just hope it will be as epic as Rockman II was on the NES. Good times :D

Yeah 2 is still the best one overall and had the most impact. The whole feel was great and I loved the revenge aspect of it. The game itself and the overall music also felt more mature. My personal fav. is always gonna be 3 though cuz I love Snakeman, his level and theme kicks uber ass. I hope they do this right and keep it crazy hard but fun at the same time. Some of the insanely superhuman hard parts in x6-8 just weren't fun, at all and were more like torture.
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
I don't think I could pick between 2 or 3. Both cancel eachother out with amazing level and boss design, music and gameplay.

They are the pinnacle of Megaman; it would never get as good as this again.

Offline MDI

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
I don't think I could pick between 2 or 3. Both cancel eachother out with amazing level and boss design, music and gameplay.

They are the pinnacle of Megaman; it would never get as good as this again.

I'm just curious, do you guys (you guys meaning anyone who this applies to) just like the old Megaman games including part 2 simply because they are retro, and you remember growing up with them? I mean..its not as if Megaman X1-3 or the Zero series are actually worse then part 2 or 3.

Just wondering what your say on that is.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 11:07:43 PM »
I'm just curious, do you guys (you guys meaning anyone who this applies to) just like the old Megaman games including part 2 simply because they are retro, and you remember growing up with them? I mean..its not as if Megaman X1-3
Just wondering what your say on that is.

oooh x2 and 3, man what wastes of money. And they're still going for 50-80 bucks for the cart online. X2 was way to easy bored me to death and the plot was not so good. X3 was better  than 2 but the stages could have been more varied and the powers were just okay they weren't anything spectacular. X1 is still my fav. Primarily because of the kickass soundtrack and opening level it was so epic and I love how it has a depressing feel to it as sigma is killing everything around X until it finally comes down to the final battle between titans, and what a battle it was, sigma was like fighting a god in that one. X4 captured some of that epic feel as well. I love all the megaman/rockman serie except battle network cuz that' not really rockman just an attempt by capcom to make more money.

Offline MDI

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »
In Reply To #26

You sure are one hard to please customer!

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 12:33:17 AM »
In Reply To #26

You sure are one hard to please customer!

I just have high expectations for my Rockman.  ;D

Offline PVG

• AlcLVL39%
  • Hunter in Training
  • Stank HOs
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 06:39:22 AM »
Best news ever.
------------------

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 07:28:16 AM »
Rankings?  OK then.. Let's see...

Megaman Powered Up > Megaman 3 > the rest of Megaman Classic

Maverick Hunter X > Megaman X3 > the rest of the X series.

Classic/X > greater than Battle Network/MM Zero

I haven't really given the newer DS Megamans a chance at all yet, so we'll forget about them for now...

IMO Megaman Powered Up > All the rest.  Even with all the cutesy design, none can match the options presented by this game. 3 playable versions of Megaman, 8 Playable Bosses, Playable Rock, Roll, and Protoman.  Classic and remixed versions of MM1.  A "chuck the PSP across the room" challenge mode --AND a stage creator program with downloadable fan stages now numbering in the thousands...  (you can easily fill your memory card with the good ones)

BTW. http://www.plutolighthouse.net/MMPU/index.php?page=ViewStage&stageID=51597277-001

Anyway --If MM9 even comes close to Powered Up's production values, we'll have plenty to celebrate.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 07:32:03 AM by cecil-kain »

Tags: