Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Belmont's Curse!!!  (Read 113519 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline VEP

  • Vampire Exterminator Pixelite
  • Hunter in Training
  • **
  • Posts: 56
  • Vampire Exterminator Pixelite
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Castlevania Legacy
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
  • Likes:
Re: Castlevania: Belmont's Curse!!!
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2026, 06:00:49 PM »
0
Honestly I think it does look like they are trying to appeal to many audiences which might be a risk but ultimately I am looking forward to it and keeping an open mind.

Offline Scarlet starlet

  • Hunter in Training
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
  • Likes:
Re: Castlevania: Belmont's Curse!!!
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2026, 03:10:56 PM »
0
Did any1 play the demo? It will only drop tomorrow morning for me.

Offline RichterB

  • Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • ****
  • Posts: 676
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Likes:
Re: Castlevania: Belmont's Curse!!!
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2026, 04:10:07 PM »
0
(SEE EDIT below for demo thoughts.) Haven't played it, but I think they've done something smart based on the gameplay I've seen. Visually and mechanically, it satisfies the broad modern Metroidvania audience expectations, even if it might seem a little too far to longtime Castlevania fans. Yet within the mechanics it still is clearly referencing the whole of Castlevania, including some very deep cuts from GB Legends and Circle of the Moon. It also was sure to have a lot of the iconic enemies and bosses. And even within the over-the-top, flashy visuals, it still has some art references/motifs to Castlevania writ large. Those things ensure it doesn't separate it from core Castlevania. And by having action but an emphasis on platforming, and making exploration the format, it hits both Classicvania and Metroidvania wants. Back to the visuals, they bring in the Netflix Castlevania fans who may have avoided most or all of the games. So, it may not 100% satisfy every one of these audiences, but I think it ensures interest and sales from a wide swathe of audiences and makes Castlevania more relevant for newcomers.

My opinion is the art direction is not ideal, but it's not horrible. And the gameplay looks like a very interesting mix that respects the entirety of the series. My hype is about a 6 or 7 out of 10, but I think as a whole game experience, it'll be an 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

EDIT: Completed Demo and did some of the extra content in it. Demo progress save data carries to main game, it says. We're back, people! This is 100% Castlevania for this generation. It's got a little bit of everything and it comes out great. The gameplay with the whip is a dream come true. I'd say what you've got here design-wise is Circle of the Moon meets Silksong meets Blasphemous. That said, it still feels like its own thing--a distinct experience where people can really get into the series. It really honors the Classicvania while also having Metroidvania, too. The art direction is really good, but the art style will be a bit divisive. I wouldn't want this art style for all future Castlevania, but for this one, it works fine and looks good in person. The music is serviceable. Not overwhelming or something you'd want to listen to a ton outside the game so far, but fitting in context. The challenge level is raised right from the start, more along the lines of Blasphemous...maybe a little easier than that, though. But it has more of that Classicvania learning curve, which I love. There are spike traps and such, too. I'm not sure how the Church is being handled so far...there are slight hints of Netflix there. But the "mystery" aspect of it has a Migami flavor from Chronicles of the Wolf and The Lecarde Chronicles 1 and 2. Anyway, demo took care of doubts I have. Feels like a 9 out of 10 right now.

For reference, my favorite Classicvanias are Castlevania III, Lecarde Chronicles 1, Super Castlevania IV, Dracula X SNES, Bloodlines. My favorite Metroidvanias are The Lecarde Chronicles 2, Circle of the Moon, Simon's Quest, and Symphony of the Night. My favorite 3Dvanias are Castlevania 64 and Lament of Innocence.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2026, 11:21:48 PM by RichterB »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

  • rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • *****
  • Posts: 1271
  • Gender: Female
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
  • Likes:
Re: Castlevania: Belmont's Curse!!!
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2026, 02:35:07 PM »
+1
Played the demo.

Music and cutscenes can't be redeemed imo. The worst type of bland on both fronts, just a terrible showing there. It's also obvious to me that the visual budget couldn't quite be carried by Evil Empire; I simply don't think they were up to the task when it comes to handling that much visual detail and animation. Encountered several animation errors playing above 60fps too.

That negativity out of the way, it was a rather impressive showing aside. Definitely feels like a Castlevania game in many ways and the gameplay was slick and exciting. I'm looking forward to the mobility and combat upgrades a ton. I'm sure it'll be a quite fun game but not sure if it's the direction I would want things to continue in.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Scarlet starlet

  • Hunter in Training
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
  • Likes:
Re: Castlevania: Belmont's Curse!!!
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2026, 04:12:55 PM »
0
My brain recognized it as a Castlevania game in spite of the different, "soulslike" gameplay. It definitely feels fresh and not just Dead Cells or Blasphemous or [generic 2D metroidvania], even though it's a blend of those influences it works. The UI is beautiful. I like that the slide doesn't give i-frames. I also liked the background details and now I'm worried that they won't be able to replicate that level of quality for the entire game.

It's far from perfect of course. Sound effects sometimes are meh. I disabled the screen shake, but there is no way to tone down the flashing effects which can be overwhelming. I also lowered EXP gains and health flasks and I refused to beat the boss by using them.
Enemies drops, as we already knew from the trailers, are incredibly disappointing. Just meat, coffee or potion recharges. There's no reason or incentive to grind enemies and it's sad. And you need to return to the save point to make them respawn.
I don't like any of the portraits used for dialogue (and those shown on the website). This artist's way of drawing faces is just unfitting for a Castlevania game. Rose's menu picture looks much better.
I also didn't like the English VAs, switched to the japanese voices.

I think the story might actually make or break this game for me. Netflixvania traumatized me for life and I don't want to experience anything remotely similar to that. But as a game, it's definitely a step in the right direction compared to Mirror of Fate.


(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2026, 04:24:29 PM by Scarlet starlet »

Offline Scarlet starlet

  • Hunter in Training
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
  • Likes:
Re: Castlevania: Belmont's Curse!!!
« Reply #95 on: Today at 05:03:23 PM »
0
Well, things got datamined including lots of dialogue. I haven't read all of that because I don't want to spoil myself, but some things arrived to my eyes anyway.

And oh boy I understand making some retcons but this is embarassing for a game that is stated to be the continuation of CVIII and CoD. It's the same thing as Legends except it touches so many things, I really don't think we will consider it canon in the long run. A reboot set in an alternate continuity, perhaps.

Tags: New castlevania