Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Circle of the Moon thoughts  (Read 13868 times)

Twizman

Circle of the Moon thoughts
« on: January 11, 2009, 06:01:18 AM »

I finished CotM over Christmas and it was an awesome experience.

I highly reccommend it to anyone who has not bothered with it due to the general lukewarm reaction it seems to receive from many people.

Also, Nathan Graves rules

Offline paletteswapmonster

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
Re: Circle of the Moon thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:17:50 AM »
It's almost as dull as PoR, really. It's kind of like LoI in 2D, but with worse level design.

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:06:57 AM »
Oh come on, it's more enjoyable than HoD and I thought the level design was fine. Far better than Portrait of Ruin OR Dawn of sorrow imo.
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Shadowserg

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
Great game. Much better than crappy Order of Ecclesia.

Offline gravekeeper

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »
I think Circle of the Moon is a fine game. I've enjoyed it a lot. Personally I like Harmony of Dissoance and Aria of Sorrow more, but it was way better than Dawn of Sorrow or Portrait of Ruin. It's kinda annoying though that you have to double-tap when you wanna run :/ No one's gonna choose walking before running, so not being able to run from the beginning of the game is completely pointless.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
In Reply To #4

0/10

not even trying.

the game was ok. it was nice how non-bright it was. its stage designs were crappy though with all the zigzags and random monsters on shelves, only a step above portrait's, but that's no wonder since the same guys designed the stages for both.

also best second form design for dracula ever.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:41:57 AM by Serio »

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »
Oh come on, it's more enjoyable than HoD and I thought the level design was fine. Far better than Portrait of Ruin OR Dawn of sorrow imo.
lolwut

What makes CotM so much better than HoD(it actually had music that gave off a great atmosphere and a great feeling while CotM's makes the tedium so much worse, not to mention that HoD had good level design)? DoS was also a good game, so I don't see how it's so much better than that, either.

The level design is absolutely terrible. It's like the inspiration for PoR. HALLWAYS HALLWAYS HALLWAYS(bumpy hallways everywhere) with the same damn enemies every freakin' time. Not even PoR's enemy placement was that repetitive, and that's saying something.

Offline John Capricorn

• Celebrate good times, c'mon. Celebrate ...etc
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »
lukewarm response... it had a glowing response to my recollection.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »
I got the most enjoyment out of Circle of the Moon compared to HoD, AoS, and DoS. (I haven't played PoR or OoE). It was the first game I got for GBA and the reason I got GBA on day one.

Nathan Graves was a cool character, it had a great soundtrack, a N64-ish moody visual style, awesome bosses, and good old-school whip challenges mixed with the modern Metroidvania exploration.

AoS is a close second out of those mentioned above, as it had an intriguing storyline and a new play-style with the Tactical Souls. HoD I found interesting, but too "all over the place" in terms of design. DoS was pretty, but was too much of a retread.

To be honest, though, I have trouble (interest-wise) playing through any of the Metroidvanias more than once, and I find it largely unrewarding to play that kind of Castlevania game at all now. By AoS, I think we'd seen about the best that format can offer design-wise without drastic revisions--which haven't happened. I'll probably still get PoR and OoE, but not for a while. And I think I'd get PoR first because it has the whip, ensuring some sense of the old-school.

• Palette swap man
  • Forsaken
  • Legendary Hunter
  • gorilla warfare
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:13:39 PM »
In Reply To #9

You'll regret getting PoR.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:58:19 PM »
It's a fun game.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
It was ok.  There are better CV games, but it certainly isn't the worst.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 08:51:50 PM »
Quote from: paletteswapmonster
You'll regret getting PoR.

That's a little harsh.. Although by cv standards Portrait may seem mediocre, it's still a fairly decent game. Don't make it seem like it's unplayable.

Twizman

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 10:05:29 PM »

The soundtrack is excellent with some really memorable tunes (such as the opening one).

I found the level design and difficulty to be superb.

Offline Saner

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »
Nathan is the hottest whip wielder ever.

and the boss fights are kewl. 

Tags:

anything