Poll

Which is your favorite format for CV games?

2D Sidescrolling Stage by Stage (Example: CV4)
13 (41.9%)
2D Sidescrolling with Exploration and Leveling (Example: SotN)
13 (41.9%)
3D Stage by Stage (Example: CV64)
4 (12.9%)
3D with Exploration and Leveling (Example: CoD)
0 (0%)
2.5D Sidescrolling Stage by Stage (Example: DXC)
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Favorite CV Game Format  (Read 6084 times)

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Favorite CV Game Format
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:42:10 PM »
Personally, my favorite is 2D side-scrolling with exploration.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »
In Reply To #1

you forgot the option for your mind bein recently violated by a dark priest

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 08:19:10 AM »
I think the series would greatly be improved if more games were in the style of CV64.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:16:51 AM »
I think the series would greatly be improved if more games were in the style of CV64.

I agree.

They made it more like a survival horror game which personally what I think Castlevania should be. And I think they were more true to the original castlevanias (CV1 for example) then what LoI or CoD was.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:14:47 PM by Lumas »

Offline OldSchoolArikado

• Castlemaniac
  • Hunter in Training
  • Se habla español
    • Castlevania Latino
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »
I love the Old School style, and the Castlevania 64 Style <3

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:32:13 PM »
I like CV 1, 3 and 4. CV 2 was ok but it could have been more like 1 and 3 and still kept the RPG aspect of it all. I do really love CV2 though. SOTN is a great CV game and playing as Alucard is fun but the idea a of being worn down to die is not as challenging (and aggravating) as falling into a pit or hitting spikes and dying instantly. Call me a sadist but I just find it more agreeable to have that challenge. It's just more true to what the series is IMO.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 01:03:39 AM »
The old school games are where it's at for me, the classics like 4, 1, 3, Bloodlines, Rondo, X68000, and so on. Although two of those, Rondo and 3, have branching paths, which I really like. That probably should have been its own option, but oh well.

SOTN is farkin' brilliant and up there with the best, but all of the other games in that style just don't compare, in my mind.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:05:21 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »
Abnormal Freak, always bringing the "meat" to any topic. ;D That sig is the perfect way to end any dispute.

Anyway, I gave my vote to "2D Sidescrolling Stage by Stage," as games like 4, Dracula XX, 3, and Bloodlines really define the series for me. However, as to where the series should go in terms of 3D, I'm all for the CV64 route. With a little refinement, that style could really give us some spectacular future games in the series. (As far as I'm concerned, the SotN-style games have more or less reached their limit and should be shelved). Da Repp Resents, I'm totally with you on the death pits and spikes. I need "consequential" platforming in Castlevania.

Offline silvermoonlight

• A Gentle Ray of Moonlight
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Favorite CV Game Format
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:09 PM »
My favorite is 2-D side-scrolling with leveling and exploration. I feel like it really captures the depth of what is involved in taking Drac down. Exploring his massive, treacherous castle, growing stronger, and possibly getting lost on the way should all be a part of this in my opinion. However, don't get me wrong. 2-D side-scrolling stage by stage will always be close to my heart thanks to my admiration for CVIII.
soma eyes sig" style="width:276px

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 03:51:11 PM »
Old school CV still rules.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »
My favorite is 2-D side-scrolling with leveling and exploration. I feel like it really captures the depth of what is involved in taking Drac down. Exploring his massive, treacherous castle, growing stronger, and possibly getting lost on the way should all be a part of this in my opinion. However, don't get me wrong. 2-D side-scrolling stage by stage will always be close to my heart thanks to my admiration for CVIII.
I agree.  I mean it's more realistic.  There is no way that someone could go through a castle with tons of enemies without getting stronger, as well as finding weapons and armor that can increase your odds of surviving.  For example, in real life if you are exploring an are filled with enemies and you find items like armor that can increase your survival chances, you take them right.  Only a idiot and a fool would venture into such a dangerous place and keep the same equipment when he/she knows that the enemies will only get stronger.  Plus, regardless of how weak an enemy is, fighting and defeating it will make you stronger no matter what.  Not only that, but considering that it's a demon castle, there is no way that there would be a clear path to follow.  And, considering that it changes with every rebirth, there is no conceivable way an adventurer would have the necessary items and skills to fully navigate it from the beginning.

Far be it from me to try and change someone's opinion, but this is how I see it.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
2D Level-based Sidescroller. Those have the best potential for level design.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 08:19:01 AM »
My favorites are a tie between both 2D Sidescrolling Stage by Stage (Example: CV4) and
2D Sidescrolling with Exploration and Leveling (Example: SOTN). I love both styles.

I agree.  I mean it's more realistic.  There is no way that someone could go through a castle with tons of enemies without getting stronger, as well as finding weapons and armor that can increase your odds of surviving.

Are you crazy? You go run around a castle for hours fighting a legion of demons and see how you feel before you have to fight Death and the greatest evil on Earth, the dark lord Dracula.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 03:17:30 PM »
I don't know how much stronger I'd get in one trip through the castle. My sword swing isn't going to go from chipping a skeleton to shattering a demon in a matter of hours.
The Belmonts are trained vampire hunters. They know what they're getting into and bring what they need to get the job done. They don't need to explore the castle, they just need to get right up to that throne room and whip the stuffing out of Dracula. Besides, anything they'd find in Dracula's castle would be dark power, and they wield the exact opposite.

Offline e1shw

• Old School CV Player
  • Is it wrong to live and breath CV?
    • e1shw's GameSpot Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 06:48:42 PM »
I personally like the Metroidvania style the best. They may have used the basics of Metroid, but they added many elements that make it Castlevania. It is and always will be the best 2-D side-scrolling RPG, EVER! I like all of the CV's for different reasons, but all of them have that touch of CV that is unbeatable! ;D

All hail Belmont! They may not endure the battles before them, but their legend will live on forever.

Tags: