Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Predict the effects of Lords of Shadow.  (Read 23238 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Predict the effects of Lords of Shadow.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 06:55:15 PM »
+1
Why do I have so much faith in this game? Two words: The-Budget.
ONly a very very very bad sutio could waste 20M Euros and make a crappy game, if MercurySeatm mess this game, it's perhaps the worst studio ever. They have a great saga as base, tons of money and Kojima san as supervisor, what could go wrong? a very very crappy developer.  :P

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 07:06:18 PM »
Fixed.

How do you think this is? Cuz he uses a whip like weapon? Because it is 3d? Will it have QTEs as it's core gameplay?

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
Honestly, the way Western-developed games in Japanese series tend to go, who knows? I'm not terribly optimistic about the outcome either (as Konami's other outsourced games have done pretty damn poorly, like Contra 4 and the Silent Hills), but it seems like people are more hyped for Lords of Shadow than any Castlevania in recent memory. Kojima's approval of the game and the participation of famous actors like Patrick Stewart certainly didn't hurt, either.

To me, what makes this game stand out is that David Cox is stressing the importance of the game's environment as well as the action, something that IGA's games more often than not completely glaze over. He talks a lot about the game's platforming and slower-paced exploration. Hopefully, these will set Lords apart from your everyday beat-the-crap-out-of-stuff-stylishly action game, but I guess it all boils down to how well it generates hype.

I thought Contra 4 did alright, but yeah.....Shattered Memories bombed and that's why I shutter at the idea of "re-imaginings" in my games nowadays. This game is no exception.

I don't think we have to worry about hype though, really. The fact that the revelation that Kojima was directing the project was the HUGE NEWS of this past E3 (on top of it being a Castlevania) helped generate a shyte-tone of hype for the game right off the bat. Patrick Stuart and Jason Issacs being voice-cast also gives a large boost. I anticipate we'll probably see some major advertising for the game come time for its release.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
I thought Contra 4 did alright, but yeah.....Shattered Memories bombed and that's why I shutter at the idea of "re-imaginings" in my games nowadays. This game is no exception.

I don't think we have to worry about hype though, really. The fact that the revelation that Kojima was directing the project was the HUGE NEWS of this past E3 (on top of it being a Castlevania) helped generate a shyte-tone of hype for the game right off the bat. Patrick Stuart and Jason Issacs being voice-cast also gives a large boost. I anticipate we'll probably see some major advertising for the game come time for its release.

I remember hearing that Contra 4 sold pretty poorly despite being a godly game. Which makes me very sad. One more nail in the coffin of retail 2D games.  :'(

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »
I remember hearing that Contra 4 sold pretty poorly despite being a godly game. Which makes me very sad. One more nail in the coffin of retail 2D games.  :'(

True...but Mega Man 9 did well. So well they're doing Mega Man 10. That's something.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »

True...but Mega Man 9 did well. So well they're doing Mega Man 10. That's something.

Yeah, that's true. I'll rue the day when 2D games are entirely digital downloads, but hell, it's better than none at all.

I would be more worried about the possible negative side effects of Lords of Shadow, but I'm easy to please if I already like a game series. I enjoyed the hell out of Bionic Commando in spite of the radiation and completely retarded and nonsensical plot twist (but hey, wouldn't be Capcom without one of those, eh?).

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 04:34:35 AM »
I think a large part of the game's success will depend on its release date. Because of its similarity to GoW, if its released anywhere within the same timeframe as GoWIII's release, I expect game sales to be lower than if it came out a month or more afterwards.

I agree. Though a game like GOW3 could possibly raise interest in the genre even more, and Castlevania should be there waiting for action fans as soon as they're done with GOW3, Bayonetta and whatnot. On the other hand, if Castlevania proves to be a worse game than the ones I mentioned, it would've probably been a better idea to release it immediately so magazines won't say that LoS could've been a contender if only GoW3 wasn't already out. So yes, the release date is crucial.

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
I agree. Though a game like GOW3 could possibly raise interest in the genre even more, and Castlevania should be there waiting for action fans as soon as they're done with GOW3, Bayonetta and whatnot. On the other hand, if Castlevania proves to be a worse game than the ones I mentioned, it would've probably been a better idea to release it immediately so magazines won't say that LoS could've been a contender if only GoW3 wasn't already out. So yes, the release date is crucial.

Agreed.

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 09:35:27 AM »
Good reviews, the game will sell less than the most selling Castlevania on the DS, fans will love it.  I hope the games sold well but it's only a wish.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
+1
You are nuts little Dracula, Kojima name only will sell 1M.

Everything comes full circle

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »
Well, Zone of the Enders and Boktai are kinda proof that it's really just Metal Gear Solid that gets attention.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »
Well, Zone of the Enders and Boktai are kinda proof that it's really just Metal Gear Solid that gets attention.

Exactly. I also imagine most people don't care about video game producers/directors. The casual crowd may not even know who Hideo Kojima is, but they would probably be familiar with the name Metal Gear Solid.

Here's a disturbing thought; What if, on the cover of LoS, there's a huge ass unremovable sticker saying "FROM THE MAKER OF METAL GEAR SOLID!". I would not be surprised.

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
people are going to call it a God of War 3 clone, and I will disagree..

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 05:05:56 PM »
people are going to call it a God of War 3 clone, and I will disagree..

Psh god of war is a clone of castlevania! IF anything... David Jaffe is a huge castlevania fan and it inspired him to make God of war.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 05:17:36 PM »

Well, if GoW-clone means that a good chunk of the GoW-fanbase goes out and buys a copy of LoS because of the similarities, I think it's safe to say that Konami has a winner on its hands... even if it's not the ideal scenario. And yes, GoW is obviously inspired by oldschool action games, and what is more oldschool and action than Castlevania? (Except..eh.. many other games, but still!)

Also, after seeing the Gametrailer review of Bayonetta I think we can rule out the possibilities that people will compare it to LoS. It's sooooo over-the-top and.. downright vulgar! I honestly don't think the game will sell as many copies as I originally thought. It's too weird for the casual crowd. (Though I'm gonna get it  ;D)

Tags: