Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Some feedback for an idea, please. ^_^  (Read 14842 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
I had an idea the other day that i might like to do, but first I'd like to see if there's any interest in it.

It was one of my dreams years ago to make my own CV games and, as it turns out, I'm pretty good at programming now.
Given the popularity, as of late, of retro gaming I was thinking of taking the levels from CV1 (nes), Vampire Killer (msx), Haunted Castle, SCV4, & CV Chronicles and adapt them into the ultimate 8-bit demake. I'm even already working on an 8-bit demake of "Megaman Powered Up" at the moment called "Megaman Powered Down". Now, would you guys be interested in playing such a thing?
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Some feedback for an idea, please. ^_^
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »
Sounds good to me!  ;D  In my opinion playing a fan game is more saticfying then then what we've been getting as of late.  :P

In terms of Ideas for your proposed game, I would signal out each and every level from all the games you've mentioned that are different and combind them into the one game you plan to make. This would make it the ultamate CV experience!

-X
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:14:46 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
That might be cool to see, Incubus! :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Eric Roman

• Sinyaso
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »
Sure, I'd try it.  Especially if the Hero could whip in eight directions.  ;]

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »
If it's not half assed, definitely. If it is....... eh, it depends.

Be awesome to see either way though.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:26:37 PM »
Alright. I'll start working on it and see where it goes. ^_^
"Stuff and things."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 04:33:26 PM »
I'm even already working on an 8-bit demake of "Megaman Powered Up" at the moment called "Megaman Powered Down".

Capcom beat you to it. Its called Megaman 1.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 06:44:51 PM »
I think his remake is taking the 2.5D game and turn it into a classic 16-bit game. Kinda like Mega man: The wily Wars except functioning like the old 8-bit NES mega man. I'd like to check it out.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »
Actually, it is an 8-bit style game. It'll have most of the features of the PSP version and some stuff inspired by the newest Wii installments.
This'll be vastly superior to the PSP & NES versions.
"Stuff and things."

Offline crims0nf0rtune

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 07:35:33 PM »
No, please don't take any inspiration from the Rebirth! *cringe*  Rondo's good though... go for that style.
Oh, and if your interested in using my new Richter sprite sheet, feel free to ask  ;).... even though its a Simon game haha

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
Actually, I was referring to my Megaman Powered Down project.
I'm not taking anything from the ReBirth game as it is unconnected to CV1 or any of it's various iterations.
Do you think you could make a decent 8-bit Simon to go along with my game?
"Stuff and things."

Offline crims0nf0rtune

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »
Umm... 8 bit?  Sure

Oh, and a couple questions... What style Simon?  And also, could you show me what the NES' palette looks like?
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:51:38 PM by crims0nf0rtune »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »
There are a few interpretations of the NES palette. Emulators you may have seen or used generally do not have the correct palette. Say using an NES emulator, and doing a side by side comparison with an NES Virtual Console title, you will see a striking difference.

Attached is the NES's actual palette as you'd see images on your tv. From my understanding the intended color and the color that actually comes out on the screen are different. The actual colors are much darker, and yes also duller.

Now, related, but more directed toward Inccubus. I've manly studied Capcom games as far as NES style and structure but things to keep in mind, and this is especially true for Megaman games, is that for some reason they strive to remain at or under 16 colors total per screen. Capcom employs tricks to do so, balancing out enemy layouts and background tiles to remain under that limit, switching palettes between certain rooms and so forth. I have however caught 17 colors once, in Plantman's stage in Megaman 6, but it was incredibly difficult to cause.

Offline crims0nf0rtune

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 11:54:55 AM »
Thanks, Uzo.
One more question though, how many colors can I use for, say, a Simon-sized sprite?  And also can I use any of those colors I want as long as they remain under the limit?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »
Yes, you can use any of the colors from the palette in any combination.

There is a 4 color limit per sprite. The 4th color is ALWAYS invisible, so essentially aside from the background color you have 3 colors to work with that will be visible.

In the case of Simon, you could use 3, or you could use up to 6, why? Think back to Megaman games. Megaman looks like he has 5 colors! Black outline, darker blue, lighter blue, skintone, and white for the eyes. How is this possible? Simple actually... They use TWO sprites.

Attached is an image with two diagrams.

In figure A, we have two sprites, simply assembled in game. The down side to this is you must make sure they are completely contained. You can shift them and arrange them as you please, but each sprite can't contain more than 4 colors on its own. This is a tricky style to use.

In figure B, we have three sprites. We overlap the shoulder pads and hair over the top half sprite to get more colors. Just remember, the more sprites drawn the more slowdown you potentially have. Likewise the NES does flicker sprites if there are too many sprites horizontally on one scan line.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:53:25 PM by uzo »

Tags: