Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is Iga washed up?  (Read 65571 times)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »
You play as a Belmont. You have a chain whip. You traverse the countryside and gothic castles while fighting various mythological and supernatural creatures along the way, with the ultimate quest of defeating a vampire overlord.
The game focuses on platforming and twitch gameplay, as well as deviating off the linear path in order to find extra goodies.
As I always said - core is the same, appearance is different.  ;)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »
I hate this term being thrown around. "Real platforming". What is REAL platforming? Jumping from one platform to another WITHOUT clinging to a wall?
Basically, anything that isn't shimmying across ledges/balancing across strips, which it seems LoS will have plenty of.

Please keep in mind that I'm only taking into account the information that has been revealed to us THUS FAR; I'm NOT saying there won't be any additional segments that will feature other aspects. Anything else to the contrary is speculation.

Also, the combat cross behaves more like a whip than pretty much every other Castlevania game minus LoI. Plus, it's a chain whip. It's not going to crack and snap.

It seems all Gabriel has to do to release the chain is press a button hidden somewhere on the hilt. I remember the initial teaser showing the chain slowly being reeled back in without Gabriel doing anything. Whips don't do that.

What whip can:
A. Be shot straight forward like a *gasp* hookshot for massive damage?
B. Be twirled around like a streamer?
No real whip can do that, that's why the Combat Cross isn't a real whip.

The combat cross behaves like exactly what it is: a chain. If anything, the older Castlevania games didn't have whips that behaved like what they were.
Which games, specifically? All they had was the protagonist swinging it in one motion.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
the older Castlevania games didn't have whips that behaved like what they were

You don't believe you can shoot the whip out relatively straight like they do in the 2D games? Funny, cause I've done it with mine.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
No real whip can do that, that's why the Combat Cross isn't a real whip.

Amusingly enough, I was talking about the Vampire Killer. Which, to be completely honest, isn't a real whip either 75% of the time.

Which games, specifically? All they had was the protagonist swinging it in one motion.

And it's a motion that whips...

You don't believe you can shoot the whip out relatively straight like they do in the 2D games? Funny, cause I've done it with mine.

...cannot do. From all my experience with mine (I find it funny we both have one) you can't just whip it and have it thrust forward. It's a snapping motion, not a thrusting motion in which the whip shoots forward falls afterward. But maybe I'm just being picky.

But now that I think about it, it's all a moot point. Save for moments in the NES games in which the whip motion was established, the vampire killer has tended to be a chain whip, and chain whips aren't really whips. They're chains and definitely don't function in Castlevania like they should. You swing a chain, you don't whip it.

I think I'm just trying to make the point that the combat cross shouldn't function like a whip, because it's a chain, and a chain weapon isn't something particularly new to the series.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2010, 08:39:40 AM »
The combat cross doesn't really function like any real weapon tbh.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »

True, but it's a fantasy game, so *shrug*

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2010, 09:20:32 AM »
Yea. :(

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »
Amusingly enough, I was talking about the Vampire Killer. Which, to be completely honest, isn't a real whip either 75% of the time.

And it's a motion that whips...

...cannot do. From all my experience with mine (I find it funny we both have one) you can't just whip it and have it thrust forward. It's a snapping motion, not a thrusting motion in which the whip shoots forward falls afterward. But maybe I'm just being picky.

Reference here; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/cadientej/JuliusBelmontSprite.gif
Julius' from AoS is probably the closest portrayal visually as to how it would really work. Notice the whip snaps down, and doesn't just shoot out straight. It is by no means a proper use of the whip if you're trying to get a crack, but it IS very doable. If you were using it as a weapon like they do in the series, its a pretty quick and basic move to pull, so it makes sense.

On the opposite end, Rondo's was a pretty weird visual way of doing it though. Perhaps they really never looked into it too much, but Julius' is pretty much on the mark, within the gameplay structure and design they've classically had for the series. Obviously you cant get time to stop and have the whip extended for that long as the games show, but yeah, that's a game mechanic more than anything so your attack window isn't a split second.

Leon on the other hand, has a bunch of moves that are actually viable. The one move where he whips it forward, and the sorta wind tunnel effect appears, is actually one of the most basic whip cracks only with added special effects.

As an added bonus, holding the attack button down in CV4, has the most realistic brandish. In the newer games it simply just flops down, but in CV4 it actually flies back with a little momentum. That is pretty much dead on to what would happen if you did it with a real leather whip just leaving your arm extended without pulling it back.

I'd demonstrate but I'm not going to look like a fag flinging a whip around on youtube.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »
Reference here; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/cadientej/JuliusBelmontSprite.gif
Julius' from AoS is probably the closest portrayal visually as to how it would really work. Notice the whip snaps down, and doesn't just shoot out straight. It is by no means a proper use of the whip if you're trying to get a crack, but it IS very doable. If you were using it as a weapon like they do in the series, its a pretty quick and basic move to pull, so it makes sense.

On the opposite end, Rondo's was a pretty weird visual way of doing it though. Perhaps they really never looked into it too much, but Julius' is pretty much on the mark, within the gameplay structure and design they've classically had for the series. Obviously you cant get time to stop and have the whip extended for that long as the games show, but yeah, that's a game mechanic more than anything so your attack window isn't a split second.

Leon on the other hand, has a bunch of moves that are actually viable. The one move where he whips it forward, and the sorta wind tunnel effect appears, is actually one of the most basic whip cracks only with added special effects.

As an added bonus, holding the attack button down in CV4, has the most realistic brandish. In the newer games it simply just flops down, but in CV4 it actually flies back with a little momentum. That is pretty much dead on to what would happen if you did it with a real leather whip just leaving your arm extended without pulling it back.

I'd demonstrate but I'm not going to look like a fag flinging a whip around on youtube.

I pretty much agree with everything said. I guess I was just being picky for the sake of argument.

Though I will say, considering the fact that most Belmonts are using chains, they're definitely doing it wrong.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2010, 11:06:36 AM »
True, but it's a fantasy game, so *shrug*
Yeah, but all the Combat Cross does is bring attention to how similar it is GoW. :\
The whole chain whip is a bit wonky though, yeah. I rather them just keep the leather whip if it's not upgradable.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2010, 01:24:10 PM »
Though I will say, considering the fact that most Belmonts are using chains, they're definitely doing it wrong.

Yes, that is very true. Chain whips do not act like whips at all. Oh well, suspension of disbelief is close enough in this case for me.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »
well theres no such thing as a CHAIN WHIP that doesnt even make sense. The entire principle of a whip is that it gets smaller to a point at the end like a limp noodle lance =D Ya cant do that with chain cause the links will get weaker as they get smaller. I went to home depot a few years ago and made a chain "whip" its basically impossible to use in any way other than big sweeping swings

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »
There are Chinese chain whips but they function drastically from the standard whip.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
The closest thing to the "chain whip" would actually be the flail, which is a chain with a spiked ball at the end of it. :o

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2010, 11:22:20 AM »
I've seen an actual chain whip of sorts on You Tube. Some guy named Addam Winrich who is a professinal whip user and builder, owns a whip made out of chain-link. A buddy of his built it. It functions some-what like your standard whip but is more flimsy due to the lack of leather to give it some form of riggedness. But when he started to crack that baby around, it looked and sounded just like a real whip.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: