Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Meanwhile, Ayami Kojima...  (Read 46994 times)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
+1
Her redesign of Simon was probably her lowest point in my eyes.

At least he got the proportions right  ;D

The only beef I personally have with Simon's Chronicles redesign is the high heels  :-X

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Meanwhile, Ayami Kojima...
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
Get a look to LoS art :P
I always feel Kojima as a "Cover artist", she akes nice and fancy covers full of beauty but I've always seen it as a way to see CV, not THE way to. It's more a stylization of the feelings and atmosphere rather than a litteral interpretation.

LoS used pre-rendered backgrounds. They were able to make the backgrounds look like the art because of that. The 3D models in LoS don't look like replicas of the concept art.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 07:58:28 PM »
despite the mistakes she has made in the past, this image alone makes up for all of it IMO

ps: shitty quality is due to the nature of the scan & doesn't represent the quality of the artwork itself
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:10:38 PM by Crisis »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »
Now. that's style, LOVED those pics, hope they get used in some church someday (in a  game of course :P )

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 09:09:43 PM »
despite the mistakes she has made in the past, this image alone makes up for all of it IMO

ps: shitty quality is due to the nature of the scan & doesn't represent the quality of the artwork itself
Those are simply beautiful.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »
+1
Get a look to LoS art :P
I always feel Kojima as a "Cover artist", she makes nice and fancy covers filled with beauty but I've always seen them as a way to see CV, not THE way to. It's more a stylization of the feelings and atmosphere rather than a litteral interpretation.
It's not like Ayami Kojima does any of that designing in Castlevania like LoS's artists beyond characters. She pretty much is a "cover artist"! I don't think that's really a fault of her own lol unless you want her to make the backgrounds of her pieces castle halls or something.
plus i dont think the los's graphical style matches the artstyle anyway hhhh
of course, it doesn't really need to to look neato anyway
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:47:35 PM by thernz »

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
The last time I checked all of this was rendered in game just like the drawings
http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/castlevania_lords_of_shadow_conceptart_Bvfbs.jpg
http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/castlevania_lords_of_shadow_conceptart_TPMJM.jpg
http://img.neoseeker.com/v_concept_art.php?caid=20200
http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/castlevania_lords_of_shadow_conceptart_A33Qh.jpg
It would be nice to have a competent team rendering Ayami's style so she doesn't need to give Maria a ponytail and pants because they can't animate hair and skirts
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:51:48 PM by Ahasverus »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »
To their credit, No matter what you think about Curse of Darkness, they DID make the faces on the models look VERY much like the Ayami artwork. (somthing that was one of LoI's failings, although the models didnt look BAD per say)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 10:29:45 PM »
+1
but the style in those images is very wispy compared to the solidness of los. figures are much more lanky and there is harsher shadow on the character art. color range seems to be broader than in-game too idk. i mean i guess los has the general transferring of what these things are showing

so are you saying that you want all the flowers and scaly serpent demons that ayami draws to be in the games
because there isn't really much to take beyond the character designs so it is like hector fighting on a coat of crimson paint while symbolic demons and wings and shit frolic around him

or that you think ayami's art should be of the characters in castle halls instead of abstract collages

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 10:34:56 PM »
Ayami's facial expressions, hair and clothes must be a pain to render faithfully, and yes to be hones I would love to see the castle with those little touches like blood stained flowers and stuff, but of course she doesn't design stages or enemies it would be nice tog ive her a chance, it's a hard work but it would be worthy, her style is very ethereal

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 11:10:27 PM »
but the style in those images is very wispy compared to the solidness of los. figures are much more lanky and there is harsher shadow on the character art. color range seems to be broader than in-game too idk. i mean i guess los has the general transferring of what these things are showing

so are you saying that you want all the flowers and scaly serpent demons that ayami draws to be in the games
because there isn't really much to take beyond the character designs so it is like hector fighting on a coat of crimson paint while symbolic demons and wings and shit frolic around him

or that you think ayami's art should be of the characters in castle halls instead of abstract collages
Was this in response to me? Because I was talking abouut LoI, not LoS.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 11:17:36 PM »
+1
no it was to ahasverus. i agree with you to an extent about the cod faces. didn't really like hector's face. i think cod had better faces than los though.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 11:21:12 PM »
I liked the in-game Trevor's face. Not a fan of the cinematic one though.

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Meanwhile, Ayami Kojima...
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 07:07:46 AM »
+1
The last time I checked all of this was rendered in game just like the drawings
http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/castlevania_lords_of_shadow_conceptart_Bvfbs.jpg
http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/castlevania_lords_of_shadow_conceptart_TPMJM.jpg
http://img.neoseeker.com/v_concept_art.php?caid=20200
http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/castlevania_lords_of_shadow_conceptart_A33Qh.jpg
It would be nice to have a competent team rendering Ayami's style so she doesn't need to give Maria a ponytail and pants because they can't animate hair and skirts

Most of the images you posted were used as backgrounds. The 3D models of the LoS concept art do not look like the art. A good example would be comparing this:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9sgmtE7B11qasabwo1_500.jpg

to this:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/34626/1550348-gabrielbelmont2_super.png

The first image is art of Gabe. The second is a 3D model of Gabe. There are some similarities present, but at no point in the game does Gabe even come close to looking like this first image I posted. Even MS couldn't translate Gabe's art directly into the game. The same could be said for just about every game artist too.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
+1
God Ahasverus... you really like to suck David's Cox huh!?

Did you know that Castlevania was actually better in the past?

Do you really think doing a 2D sprites on par to artworks is easy? Go look on Cave Story if Pixel's Quote even looks like the game Quote. Or if the concept arts of this new remake of Cave Story even looks like the game itself.

Even on LOS, the artwork didn't look nothing like the real game.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:06:34 AM by Maedhros »

Tags:

anything