Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: NES-Style Castlevania Belmont Engine for GameMaker! (Version 0.3 UPDATE!)  (Read 156773 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Why aren't you running the GMK in Game Maker and then testing it through there?

I'll test the runtime, but that would imply a GM error, not my error.

EDIT: The executable worked just fine for me. You aren't trying to simply rename the file from .gmk to .exe are you?

I did notice one error just now in my program: if hit and bumped back toward a ledge, Trevor ends up in the ledge. Implies a sprite error. I'll have to check my bounding boxes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:48:12 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Do any other GM games give you the same problem?
"Stuff and things."

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
Update on that weird glitch I noticed in the post above, although it wasn't weird back then. After Trevor dies from taking too much damage, when the room resets, anytime he gets knocked back, he gets placed 3 or 4 pixels further back after he lands regardless of a wall being there.

Anyone have any ideas what would cause that? I'll ask around GMC too.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Why aren't you running the GMK in Game Maker and then testing it through there?

I'll test the runtime, but that would imply a GM error, not my error.

EDIT: The executable worked just fine for me. You aren't trying to simply rename the file from .gmk to .exe are you?

I did notice one error just now in my program: if hit and bumped back toward a ledge, Trevor ends up in the ledge. Implies a sprite error. I'll have to check my bounding boxes.

I'm running the .exe that you posted.  It's got a red ball icon and says "TheouAegis Productions" and it's named cv_fcengine.exe
I also tried compiling a stand-alone EXE from my version of Game Maker.  No dice.
Lastly, I also tried running off of my Game Maker on debug mode.  I still just get a black square.  See the enclosed image?

BTW I'm using Game Maker 8.0 Lite.  Don't know if that helps.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
WTF I never included any "exe" in my download. I only uploaded the "gmk" and the change log.

Granted, I do use GM8 Pro... Open the GMK in GameMaker and set the global game settings to show all errors. I must have disabled that or something if it's not even showing errors. But GM should tell you when you try to run it if anything that's Pro can't be used.

Btw if you want the pro version i can give it to you. :3

Another bug I noticed: Trevor doesn't die right if he's on the stairs when he actually dies. Worked before, but now I messed it up.

EDIT: In the next patch, I will fix lives and score as well as room0, which will become room_init. The variables score and lives will be set in room_init and when Trevor dies he will be transported to room_init. The variables mapX and mapY have been converted to globalvar and will be set throughout the course of the game, but are initialized in room_init. Just letting you guys know I'm aware of the bug that setting these variables in Trevor's object creates.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:27:31 PM by TheouAegis »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
There is no checkbox in my Global Game Settings to toggle all errors.
There is a Graphics tab, a "Other" tab, a "Loading" tab, and an "Info" tab.

The graphics tab is the one with the most options, here's what it's got:
-start in fullscreen mode
-scaling (radio button) fixed scale, and a field for percentage, a keep aspect ration (default), and full-scale
-interpolate colors between pixels (checked)
color outside room region
-allow the player to resize game window
-let the game window always stay on top
-don't draw a border in windowed mode (checked)
-don't show the buttons in the window caption (checked)
-display the cursor (checked)
-freeze the game when the form loses focus (checked)
-disable screensavers & power saving actions (checked)

The "Other" tab has:
-Let ESC end the game (checked)
--Treat the close button as ESC key (checked)
-Let F1 show the game information (checked)
-Let F4 switch between screen modes
-Let F5 save the game and F6 load a game
-Let F9 take a screenshot of the game (checked)

Loading tab:
-show your own image while loading
--make image partially transparent
--make translucent with alpha value (255)

Radio button for loading:
-no loading progress bar (chosen)
-default loading progress bar
-own loading progress bar
--scale progress bar image

Game Icon (red circle)
Game Identifier (900001)

An "Info" Tab.

So yeah... no "Show all errors" section anywhere in Global Game Settings.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Change the global game settings -> Errors -> Display error messages

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Funny, that showed up the second time I opened the file, but not the first time.  The other time it only had four tabs.

Anyway, here's my error:

_______________________________________ ____
EXECUTION ERROR in creation code of room room0
Error in code at line 9:
   global.face=font_add_sprite(font,vk_space,0,0);
               ^
at position 14: This function is only available in the Pro Edition.

----
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaame....
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
and there ya have it lol its a pro edition only editable file lol. So you can only play it as an exe unless you register GM. That... is fun times!

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
font_add_sprite is a fucking Pro function? Dammit! I'll see what I can do about that. Unless someone wants to do me the favor of turning the CV3 font into a stand-alone font. For the time being, and also to see if there are any other pro functions i'm using, delete the global.face= line. It's in the creation event for room0. In the newest version (which you don't have yet), I made face a globalvar, but it still uses the pro function. Or is it the global declaration that's pro only? I read the help file just now and it doesn't say font_add_sprite() is a pro function.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I might make the CV3 font into a true-type font at some point in the future, but I'm working on music tonight (yay) so that would have to wait.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Found a little bit of a bug. Was standing all the way to the right of the test room next to the big wall and hitting the jump button did zilch. I'm guessing it's detecting the block on the upper right of Trevor's head. Also, I threw a knife at a candle that was half way off the screen and the knife disappeared before it made contact with the candle. Maybe give the weapons some leeway before you kill them for being off screen. Here's another thing... Putting a plat form near the top and Tossing an axe when Trevor is off screen makes him go into an animation fit that I think is probably caused by the sub-weapon being immediately destroyed.

By the way, could you explain to ma how the stage init goes about creating the block objects?
"Stuff and things."

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I might make the CV3 font into a true-type font at some point in the future, but I'm working on music tonight (yay) so that would have to wait.

Didn't Anapan already do that?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
I don't know.
I know there's a CV3 Raster font out there, but I never saw a true-type font.
I can make one for CV3 and one for Akumajo Dracula (CV4), just for a goof.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Sorry guys, I haven't done any programming at all so far this week. My life's been a mess these past few days. After my Rammstein concert I was popping pills in part for the post-headbang whiplash and in part just for recreation. But then my mom ran away from home for a couple days after a fight with my stepdad and I watched my aunt die in the hospital yesterday, so I've been trying to avoid turning to chemicals for comfort because that's what makes people junkies. ... In other words, I haven't been in the mood to program as of late.

Tags:

anything