Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: NES-Style Castlevania Belmont Engine for GameMaker! (Version 0.3 UPDATE!)  (Read 156779 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
So, there's been some issue, it would seem, about simulating stairs and other features in NES style Castlevania games in GameMaker and other frontends. You always see games where the heroes are able to jump onto and off of stairs, but pretty much never games where once you're on the stair you're stuck there. People complain that these kinds of Castlevania games are annoying and suck, but face it folks: they're realistic. If you try to jump on stairs like Castlevania's heroes have been able to do these days, you'd have to be a freaking gymnast to be able to handle the footwork and balance involved. And if you misjudge your leaps, you'll fall backward and become a paraplegic or fall forward and shatter your shins.

Current Version: 0.31 Alpha

UPDATE LINK!
Download it here
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:58:05 PM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: I made NES-style Castlevania Belmont for GameMaker! Yay!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
Pics/video/demo or it never happened.

Offline Oralox

• BANNED
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »
Pics/video/demo or it never happened.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »
I'm interested in this.  Please show us some pix.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:01:18 PM by TheouAegis »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:31:15 PM »
Belmont Engine (early alpha)

Very nice early start.  It really mimics the NES version. :D
Also, would you like it embedded on the forum post, like how I just did it?  Just put the link into the post and the forum will auto-embed.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
I could certainly use that code script for my CV game I'm trying to put together! The only thing else that I would need is rope climbing, the crawl-walk and a more faster whip attack like Simon from CV2SQ.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »
If you put in the turbo-whip (hold the whip button whilst on stair) you'll be mimicking the NES titles exactly. :D
Then you can start to put in purdy graphix. :3
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 12:41:23 AM »
Actually I had that. I might have it already, actually. I noticed that when I was debugging early on. I was like, "Shoot I have a bug with the attacks on the stairs! I need to fix this! ... or do i?" Then I went back to the game, walked up a stair, held attack. "Oh, it's supposed to do that." I think in the vid I was just tapping the key.

I can't get it to embed videos. What the heck?!

Other things included that I may or may not have put in the vid or have since changed:

Trevor will land awkwardly if he drops a distance higher than 64 pixels but not if he attacks at the right moment (but if his attack finishes before landing, he'll land awkwardly). Currently I'm working on the code for that, trying to clean it up. I have to go back to the game and measure his falling rates. I'm hoping my arbitrary timeline positioning was wrong and that the coding can be much simpler than what it is right now.

Trevor cannot jump when there is a ledge right over his head. Have to check the game to see if he "hiccups" when trying to jump, which he currently does in my engine. I think I changed some line of code yesterday because I don't remember him hiccuping when I first wrote the code.

Trevor will jump through ledges that are at least 16 pixels above his head. (This is currently buggier than the Forgotten One.)

The whip can be upgraded, although this is still very much a work in progress. I've assigned variables for whip level (in Simon's Quest terms, thorn whip, chain whip, flame whip, etc.), whip damage (based on an array), and whip multiplier (the [ I I ] and [ III ] glyphs hidden in walls).

Numerous bugs common to many Game Maker games, including those made by Mark Overmars himself, have been fixed. I still have a (growing) list of bugs I'm currently trying to work out. Most deal with collision problems, such as jumping through ledges when Trevor's supposed to bump them or the whip locking up. (This latter bug has appeared in other Castlevania fan games, from what I've read.) All these years of not making games because I just get fed up with all the bugs in Game Maker gave me a lot of knowledge about various bugs, so I'm taking the time now finally to try and figure out what's causing my bugs. When I remember to, I document the bugs as I find them and then document my fixes for them. I've found that writing out my bugs descriptively makes fixing them a lot easier.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:51:06 AM by TheouAegis »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 01:08:18 AM »
Good plan. But in terms of Trevor landing awkwardly it shouldn't be that big a deal. I've seen him land awkwardly in CVIII from such a high distance fall. It's as though for a brief moment, his legs enter the block he falls on, but then recovers as if nothing was wrong. Is that the problem you are having?

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 04:13:48 AM »
Wow, looks great, dude!

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 02:42:06 PM »
Good plan. But in terms of Trevor landing awkwardly it shouldn't be that big a deal. I've seen him land awkwardly in CVIII from such a high distance fall. It's as though for a brief moment, his legs enter the block he falls on, but then recovers as if nothing was wrong. Is that the problem you are having?

-X

Sorry, by landing awkwardly I mean he goes into his crouch and stands there for a bit, which he's supposed to do. I wasn't complaining about it, just saying that it's a feature I made sure I implemented. I was considering imitating the ground-sticking you mentioned, because I noticed that too. He drops down 1-3 pixels into the ground then snaps back to the right position, depending on his fall height and current sprite. But then I decided that was probably one aspect of the games we could all live without as it looked to me like it was just the NES's inability to execute certain commands fast enough. Plus with the engine I'm using, emulating that would be a pain because mine checks for collisions every pixel (which is okay for an NES clone but probably not for modern games).

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
I actually really liked the dramatic crouch stop.  It was a cool feature in the old games.  Really made the character feel hefty.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »
The only thing giving me a headache right now is debugging collision detection. Game Maker has some of the worst collision detection functions ever. I have one bug where attacking while jumping can potentially make Trevor fall through the ground with no collision detection whatsoever. I have another bug where when he jumps forward he moves inside the ledge rather than sliding up and over it. I tried to fix this last night, but my solution brought back another bug I had where Trevor would get stuck inside ledges over his head. So now I'm left looking at two bug fixes that refuse to work together. I refuse to add items in until I get these blasted collision bugs resolved.

Oh yeah, another feature I implemented into the engine is if you press right and left at the same time, depending on the level orientation, it will ignore one key or the other. So if you're supposed to be progressing through the level from left to right, the game will give priority to the right key (you have to press only the left key in order to walk left). I haven't decided how I'm going to handle vertical stages, whether to default to right key priority or what. Minor issue, though.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
Looks near identical to the original, impressive.

Tags: