Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Zelda Twilight Princess: Good or Bad?  (Read 8823 times)

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Zelda Twilight Princess: Good or Bad?
« on: May 07, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »
Oops, put this topic in the wrong category before my bad XD

Anyway, I have a few friends in life and on the internet who LOATHE this game. But why? They don't give a concrete reason other than that "Ocarina is better" but I don't consider that a legitimate complaint. Sure I put it and every other Zelda game under Majora's Mask but by no means is it a horrible game. It has it's moments of mediocrity, no game is perfect (such as the empty as hell Hyrule Field and the kind of washed out color pallet, along with a few more nitpicks). Despite that though I felt it to be a decent entry in the franchise. What do you guys think? Good or Bad?
Like giant robots? Join up if your interested:
http://www.amecha.co.uk/forum/index.php
My username on it is Gelboob794

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Zelda Twilight Princess: Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
Actually, it's one of my favorites in the series. MUCH better than Ocarina IMO. It takes Ocarina's gameplay system and adds to it with more interesting weapons/versions of weapons and equippables, better horseriding control (instead of: OH NO A POINTY END OF A TREE ROOT I MUST STOP AND THEN TAKE 5 STEPS BACK BECUASE I CAN'T GET AROUND THIS!!1!LOLZ). The story is solid, and while most people think this is a downside to the game, I like the wolf transformation segments. It introduces you to a new area, lets you see what's going on presently, and allows you to interact differently than if you were in your normal form. The overworld areas are better too, though there is still a lot of riding through from place to place. The dungeons are really neat and creative as well. Overall a great game. Better than Ocarina from a technical aspect, and in my opinion better as a game overall.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
I think it's a great game.
Too much BLOOM though!  But yeah, it's still great.  I've got the Wii version.
Plus, if it weren't for that game, the hacking scene would not have discovered how to install the Homebrew Channel and other stuff as quickly.  Props for that, right? Right?  Bueller?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
I never got into it. For me Zelda: OoT was the only game I got through and I figured...naa! No more of these 3D type Zelda games. I want them to go back to the old layout. I know they won't give up on 3D but they should seriously consider doing a new Zelda 3D game in the same sense as Zelda's quest. It was a 3D game but it retained the overhead view of the classics. That's the direction I personally think the series should go.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »
They did go back to the overhead 2D layout for Gamecube's "Four Swords Adventures" which, though done in a more 'stage by stage' mode than the open regular world, captures the spirit of A Link to the Past and the other overhead games.

It's really a double-edged sword though; had they always kept them overhead, people would complain.  Now people complain that there aren't enough overhead 2D games (though the DS titles are a nice compromise between the two methods).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 08:27:51 PM »
I never got into it. For me Zelda: OoT was the only game I got through and I figured...naa! No more of these 3D type Zelda games. I want them to go back to the old layout. I know they won't give up on 3D but they should seriously consider doing a new Zelda 3D game in the same sense as Zelda's quest. It was a 3D game but it retained the overhead view of the classics. That's the direction I personally think the series should go.

-X
I personally love the 3D zeldas. The reason being is that it allowed for the enemies to have more varied tactics as well as having much more diversity in the puzzles. Plus I love the vertical design for some of the dungeons(such as the 4th temple in Majoras Mask).
Like giant robots? Join up if your interested:
http://www.amecha.co.uk/forum/index.php
My username on it is Gelboob794

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 05:26:12 PM »
Twilight Princess is my absolute favourite of the 3D Zeldas, and I actually feel it's Ocarina done right. I can see why people would argue that Ocarina was a more interesting game because it came first, and Twilight isn't doing an awful lot of "new" things with the franchise. But the scope, the story, the dungeons, the world layout.... It was mostly excellent stuff.

I am however more of an oldschool Zelda gamer. I'll take A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening or even Minish Cap over TP anyday. Still, it was a superb 3D Zelda, IMO.

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
Hmm I think I had a hard time getting into it because of the loading. The game was really fun for me but Hyrule field was segmented so I never got that "world map" feel I had while playing Ocarina. It wasn't as memorable for me either, I would have to strain myself to remember a lot of it, I need to play through it again. I guess what let me down the most though was the promise of a darker/deeper Zelda game which I don't think it delivered on. I don't care about blood and guts and that type of thing but it seemed too generic or at least that is what I remember thinking at the time. I never felt genuinely concerned about the characters like I did in the other games. But I did have fun playing it, and enjoyed it a lot. Not hard to please honestly as I am not actually complaining about the game, it just didn't capture my imagination like other games.
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:22:52 PM »
Majora's Mask is, and always will be the best Zelda game ever created simply based on things like this alone

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/10/the-message-of-majoras-mask.html

If you've played through Majora's Mask and want to be creeped out then read this.

Oh, and Twilight Princess didn't do much for me.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 10:48:44 PM »
Majora's Mask would've been much better to play if not for that stupid 3 day time limit. That is what killed the game for me. Well...that and the re-use of the same cast of characters made it really cheap.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
Maybe it's due to me never having played a Zelda game until OOT came out, but I prefer the 3D games. Same goes for Metal Gear Solid. I feel these games work better in 3D because they were already trying to do a quasi-3D sort of thing in the first place, just now they're full-fledged and actually in 3D. Sure, MGS stayed more true to the overhead view of the original two games, but I love the 3D Zeldas' perspective nonetheless.

Twilight Princess is awesome. It has a certain atmosphere and despondency that's not really in the other 3D Zelda games. I'm rather bummed to see that Skyward Sword won't be going in the same direction; the preview I saw from a year ago or whenever was really fruity-colored. Looked awesome, and I'll love the hell out of it, but I did feel a little let down.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Joachim

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 12:08:10 AM »
the primary fault of twilight princess is that its design is not very smart: it is, essentially, little more than an elongated series of fetch-quests given by an incompetent and mentally retarded world. it exists as an incestual byproduct of zelda x zelda action. its only benefit is its aesthetic.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:13:06 AM by Joachim »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:06:01 AM »
Majora's Mask is, and always will be the best Zelda game ever created simply based on things like this alone

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/10/the-message-of-majoras-mask.html

If you've played through Majora's Mask and want to be creeped out then read this.

Oh, and Twilight Princess didn't do much for me.

I agree, Majora's Mask is the best of them. It's a downright creepy game.

OoT gets props for being the progenitor of the 3D ones and for nostalgia purposes, but MM was just all sorts of messed up that no other Zelda has been able to match.

EDIT: Holy crap Rugal, that article is awesome.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:12:47 AM by Munchy »

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
Majora's Mask would've been much better to play if not for that stupid 3 day time limit. That is what killed the game for me. Well...that and the re-use of the same cast of characters made it really cheap.

-X

I knew someone was going to mention this. You don't understand that this 3 day system was innovative for its time. The 3 days aren't there just for a time limit for your quest. During those 3 days, there are different things happening to places and people all around the game. This is why you get that bomber kid notebook so you can keep track of everything that is going on. What other Zelda game has NPCs on a set time schedule? None. The Anju/Kaefi side quest is brilliant.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »
Don't most games have npc doing specific things at specific times? True, its based on actions more than not, but it's nothing as revolutionary as you seem to think.

Tags:

anything