Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What Does "Limited Edition" Mean to You?  (Read 4807 times)

Offline 赤月

• 血月下の薄夢華
  • Vampire Hunter
  • A cesspit of hatred and lies! Wait, what?
    • Awards
What Does "Limited Edition" Mean to You?
« on: May 20, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
Special Editions, Collector's Editions, Limited Editions. It's been called many things.
You know, that one game that comes with all the goodies bundled up in a pretty package?
The one that the hardcore players would go and spend an extra $50.00 to $300.00 on.
What does this Limited Edition mean to you? What would be your ideal Limited Edition to a game package?

In regards of special editions, I don't mind the physical extras, but what I am really looking for is special IN GAME content, such as extra dungeons, special attacks, costumes, weapons, and so forth to enhance my gaming experience.
Action figures tend to collect dust on my desk anyway.
Oh, a special sound track and a dvd / blu ray of "the making of" the game in the bundle would be greatly appreciated.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: What Does "Limited Edition" Mean to You?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:09:18 PM »
I think I prefer in-game stuff too, as long as it's not something useless like a stupid costume or something similar. And depending on which series the game is in, I like having just collectible stuff in general (besides maybe action figures or busts...I also think they're pointless).

Often times I like the packaging itself if it's good. Lords of Shadow's Limited Edition is a great example of that; I loved the packaging on that, even though some will argue that it was kind of cheap. To me it was nice that it was compact and efficient, since I dislike how so many special editions come in big boxes now...especially the ones that are impossible to place on your shelf with the rest of your games.

Also, for anyone who may know, is there any real difference between a special/collector's edition and a limited edition? I ask this because I always had the impression that limited editions were produced in limited quantities, and collector's editions were produced to meet demand. Or are these terms pretty much interchangeable now?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:11:06 PM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »
Well most if not all LE's are just fancy boxes & a music CD, i don't recall any recent LE that had unique in-game content that the standard edition didn't have (aside from some DLC)

I did buy this when it came out, which made me very ;D

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
Limited/exclusive in-game content would make me PIIIIISSSSSED >:O Games should stay universally awesome.

All I ever really care about are soundtrack CDs.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline ShinAkumaXX

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:39:38 AM »
Well as an owner of many limited editions, I can say I feel they are over priced. They should be about 10 bucks extra, not 20. Let alone these crazy mega 150 dollar versions of games they are putting out. They are just totally ridiculously overpriced. Anyhow. The Lords of Shadow Limited Edition was great. Loved the Hard Book Format with the soundtrack and art. Perfect. I also love steelbook case versions. What I hate are the games that come with a digital download of the soundtrack, or a disc that will let you listen to the soundtrack on your system, but not an actual CD. A bonus item is nice, like my Gears 2 came with a download for a gold lancer (gun). Honestly though I hate how they are making people pre-order and buy special versions of games to get extra content. The prices are ridiculously higher, and the content is really nothing that will enhance your experience. If it really belonged in the perfect version of the game, they would of already put it in. My gold lancer is sweet, but I don't notice it when I get into the game. Sadly the action figures or lil' statues they give are pretty lame too. I bought the Street Fighter IV limited ed. I don't want some figure of Viper. I do love my Halo Reach Statue with the whole Noble team. I did however wind up paying $25 bucks for the $150 dollar Halo Reach. Otherwise, I would never have paid for such a thing... Give us a nice package like Lords of Shadow. Or if it's a fighting game, I like the idea of including a fighter pad or joystick. Luckily where I'm from these things don't sell out and I can wind up getting them cheap.

Offline ShinAkumaXX

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 12:45:34 AM »
I'll also add that later on after I realize the extra stuff is useless to me. I want to sell them, but they hardly hold there value and I wind up wishing I would of got the regular edition half the time. If it's a game series you are head over heels for get it, if not don't. Thing is they sometimes take up double the space or more of a regular game. Or as the case of my Halo Reach Legendary, I have a big HUGE box sitting in my closet with sneakers on top of it.... I've decided I want to keep my collection within a certain amount of space lately too. So what am I gonna do with some of these things... I don't just wanna give em away.... I don't likely need my Gears of War 1 Collectors since I have Gears of War 2 Collectors. Only bought Gears 1 to play the campaign and unlock extra guys for gears 2.... shit. Anyone wanna buy it?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:00:55 AM »
I have collector's editions of games because I like the non-game features:
-the Ho-oh figurine for preordering Pokemon Heartgold
-the Scorpion VS SubZero bookcase and goodies for Mortal Kombat (latest)
-the DVD and Mickey figurine with Epic Mickey
-the extra Dante's Inferno stuff

I'm against 'game-exclusive content' for a collector's edition.  As Freak said, games should stay universally awesome.
However, if the special edition comes with a voucher to unlock content that you normally would have to pay for (happened in MK), then I suppose that's OK.  After all, the collector's editions of games are usually more expensive.

As for Limited Editions?  Usually it's the first run or has an artbook or something... I consider them 'lite' versions of Collector's Editions. 
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Nycterida

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »
Yeah, I think the actual game content should be universally the same whether you preorder a month before the game hits stores or you purchase it second hand 2 years after its first release.

As for extras, what I usually like are DVDs, soundtrack albums and artbooks.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:41:02 AM »
Ack, I keep contradicting myself. I hate oversized game boxes, yet I just bought the Dead Space 2 collector's edition (the inclusion of Extraction lured me in, and I had a gift certificate to burn, really excited for the game, etc.) last weekend. And I just pre-ordered the Balls of Steel Edition of Duke Nukem Forever several nights ago(the history/notoriety of the game and the fun I had playing Duke 3D made it impossible to pass up).

Now they'll sit next to New Vegas and Peace Walker, far away from my normal-boxed games.  :-\

Really, really excited for DNF, though.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline 赤月

• 血月下の薄夢華
  • Vampire Hunter
  • A cesspit of hatred and lies! Wait, what?
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:43:08 AM »
I hate oversized game boxes
^ I also feel the same. Hence why I would prefer exclusive in-game content over physical additions.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 05:39:57 AM »
Yeah but exclusive in-game content is retarded, so quit wanting that.

:o

One giant-sized box I'm pleased with is BioShock 2, because of its inclusion of a vinyl record. Preeeeeetty sweet.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: