Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: (Request) The best NES Soundfont Castlevania remixes available  (Read 26488 times)

Offline Neflyte

• Castlevania Tour Guide
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Hi, I'm looking for any Castlevania tunes from the 16-bit games upward that are made using the NES soundfont. I know there's quite a few out there, but so far I've been unable to find any that don't sound ultra high-pitched and resemble the Sega Master System/Game Gear moreso than the NES. VRC6 and VRC7 style would definitely be awesome, but as long as they're well done that's what matters. So if anyone can link or post some, I would very much appreciate it!  :D :D :D 

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: (Request) The best NES Soundfont Castlevania remixes available
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »
You can get midis for the songs and upload them into a program called GXSCC. It'll turn them into an NES/GG/whatever style song. It only saves as wav files though.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »
I'll take the case!  **goes into Recording Mode**

Anything in particular?  I'll start with CV4. ;)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »
You can get midis for the songs and upload them into a program called GXSCC. It'll turn them into an NES/GG/whatever style song. It only saves as wav files though.

Only if you want it to be very inaccurate sounding. It uses way too many channels, and that ruins the feel.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »
What UZO says is true in that it would end up using a lot of channels.
My renditions will do that as well, but they won't use GX-SCC.  I can pretend they use VRC6 though to get away with it.

The problem with GX-SCC is that the waveforms it uses are more like MSX and Commodore, than they are NES.  NES used better sound altogether (and with VRC6 and 7 it was just superior in every sense of the word).  Telling GX-SCC to just use "Famicom Sounds" doesn't help, as all it does is use "Square Wave" for everything.

It's a neat tool but it's not perfect.  Too bad, too... since I was hoping the creator would update it.  It's still nice to hear, though.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »
Well, I did have a hacked version my friend made for me, so I guess my point is totally moot. :\

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »
What did the hack do?
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »
It made it more accurate to the original. The thing's a major *expletive* to use now, though, cuz it's no longer a simple drag and drop. He added all these knobs and stuff so you can adjust it.

Thing is though, it's still in testing, as it still has problems. I'm one of his testers. So distributing it at this time is a no-go. I'd love to let you look at it, but well... He's a friend and I promised to keep it to myself.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
It's no problem.  I've got my own ways of downmixing stuff to NES-VRC6 mode.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »
I trust its easier than using knobs and all this other weird stuff?

On an ontopic note: There are a few NES-style remakes of the later series tracks, but of course I can't find any non-GXSCC versions. If I find any I'll let you know.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »
He does it by hand. No wussy programs for Jorge!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:02:39 PM »
Now now, I do use programs, y'know...
Anyway, here's some results.  This will be my Soundcloud Downmixing Project (revived?).
Note:  I did NOT cut down on the number of channels.  This just showcases what's possible.  I'd have to use up a lot more time arranging the tunes so that they only use three channels... though with VRC6, you technically have access to far more than just three pulses, a noise, and a DPCM.  So these are souped up-sounding NES-'style' tunes.

Enjoy!
  Pillared Corridor - Long Library - Stage 7 - Super Castlevania IV by Jorge D. Fuentes Super Castlevania IV's Long Library tune "Pillared Corridor", downmixed.

Reincarnated Soul - Castlevania Bloodlines - DOWNMIX by Jorge D. Fuentes Castlevania Bloodlines' First Stage tune "Reincarnated Soul", Downmixed.

Opposing Bloodlines - Castlevania DraculaX by Jorge D. Fuentes Rondo of Blood's "Opposing Bloodlines" ("Divine Bloodlines"/"Bloodlines of Heaven and Earth"), theme of Richter Belmont, Downmixed.

Dracula's Tears - Wizardry Lab - Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow DOWNMIX by Jorge D. Fuentes This one sounds particularly Castlevania III-ish, Dawn of Sorrow's "Dracula's Tears", the Wizardry Lab theme.

First Stage - Castlevania Order of Shadows - DOWNMIX by Jorge D. Fuentes And look how Castlevania-ish this tune from Castlevania: Order of Shadows (Mobile) sounds!  First stage music, I believe...
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »
Those are pretty cool. I especially liked how you did Daring Assault from OoS. (:

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
I generally like that track, and was happy that when NEStificated it sounds particularly CV-ish. :D
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »
OoS had a pretty cool soundtrack in my opinion. Well, better than LoS (though Belmont's Theme was epic).

Tags:

anything