Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV fangame that needs just one thing to get off the ground  (Read 107046 times)

Offline Mega Man Model T 101

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: CV fangame that needs just one thing to get off the ground
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »
No, there aren't any from the back. But, this is how I picture the back looking. Her hair is about shoulder length, like a little past the shoulder blades. As for how the jacket looks, since it stops before the bottom of the skirt, I'd say it has the split in the back right around where the top of the skirt starts. As for the skirt itself it'll be solid all the way around.

I hope that helps. Post progress as it happens please. :D
The Legend shall live again....

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »
Okay, so shoulder length hair, similar to what Richter should have. Got it. And so basically the outfit is just plain on the back, save for the split in the jacket? Alright, sounds easy enough. I'll try to get to you with progress.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »
That sounds right. Glad I could help. Hope to hear from you soon.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »
Yeah, I really can't use any of the Touhouvania sprites, simply because they're too big, and not to mention the detail of animation is really high. Not to mention Sakuya doesn't have the moves of a Bemlont, where as Reimu did. The whip stance, and there are even sprites of her throwing something in the Belmont fashion.

But again, too big, and too detailed of animations. I'd resize the sprites myself, but arcsoft photo studio blurs the edges of sprites when resized. It is how ever great for working with tons of layers.

Say CS, how is the walking animation coming?

A trick to resize your sprites without losing quality. You can even then use a capture program like Snag it once they are resized to your liking.
Tutorial Video Number One: Making Your Sprites Bigger Without Resizing Them.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
That talks about how to make them bigger, though, which I can easily do in Paint.NET, flawlessly. Size shouldn't be an issue anyway, since even if your resize of them makes them blurry, you'd be spriting over them anyway, unless you wanted to make a flatout edit of the sprite.

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »
Yeah, for sprites that are only available as bigger size, like the Nemesis' sprites, I needed them smaller.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2011, 11:58:33 PM »
That tutorial talks about making sprites bigger, but shouldn't it be true to work it in reverse? Also Mega Man T 101, if you have or know someone who has a corel photopaint version 8 or lower then you can re-size your sprites without the blurriness. I used it quite frequently when doing my sprites a few years ago and it was very helpful.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2011, 12:09:17 AM »
Hello guys.

I been talking to 101 and I would like to help also. I need to get up to speed on this though. I read the entire thread but I have a few questions.

Is someone tackling the character yet? If so I would much rather let someone more capable handle this. The best I have done to date is a highly modified richter sheet for a flash movie I am still working on. Modified not from scratch. Hence why I would really rather someone with more experience handle that part.

I see this is not going to be programmed from scratch. Something I was asking 101 about in my last PM but I am sure he hasn't gotten that yet. Not that using a game maker is going to result in a bad game actually. It all depends on what type of game your making and how detailed your getting with things.

That being said. What limitations does the game maker have? This is an important question because all of the sprites and backgrounds have to be custom tailored around that alone. If we are limited to only a couple background layers we need to take that into consideration. Who ever is handling the character is also going to need to know how many frames of animation are possible for each action.

I see we do have someone on music. Less limits there because you can convert to any format needed with sound.

Currently I have a very extensive collection of castlevania sprites. I don't have any of the fringe stuff but I have pretty much everything else along with any custom stuff I added in since I was working on flash animation.

I do have a 3d model of the holy cross from sotn the one you see when you item crush the cross in sotn. That is kind of customized since the base material was shabby so I filled it in. I created that model in illustrator cs5 and it is sharp. I can make it any size and we can take stills to create a 2d-3d effect if that makes sense. Kind of like they did with killer instinct and donkey kong. 3d models that they took stills of for all the frames of 2d animation in the game. Just an idea.

At any rate. I would love to help and if given a choice I would really like to help with backgrounds, special effects such as that cross etc. Basically all the visual flare that adds detail. Eye candy :)

If you look at the attached cross that model can be rotated in any which way. I could just move it a little at a time and screen it to come up with frames pretty easily.

I wanted to also do the cross in it's standard sub weapon form. So that it could spin and rotate at the same time. You would get a much flashier looking animation from that as it would rotate on 2 axis rather than just spinning flat as it was thrown. You could have it be thrown and as it goes out and back slowly flip over along the path.

Maybe I will do that tonight actually.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:14:08 AM by Corpsecrank »
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2011, 12:21:20 AM »
Hello guys.
Yo. Wassup?

I been talking to 101 and I would like to help also. I need to get up to speed on this though. I read the entire thread but I have a few questions.

Is someone tackling the character yet? If so I would much rather let someone more capable handle this. The best I have done to date is a highly modified richter sheet for a flash movie I am still working on. Modified not from scratch. Hence why I would really rather someone with more experience handle that part.

A lot of us are chipping in. It's much more effective for multiple people to work on it then just one. I know I for example am working on a walking animation, and X helped out by fixing the idle animation. I, for one, can't sprite from scratch yet, so help would be appreciated. :)

That being said. What limitations does the game maker have? This is an important question because all of the sprites and backgrounds have to be custom tailored around that alone. If we are limited to only a couple background layers we need to take that into consideration. Who ever is handling the character is also going to need to know how many frames of animation are possible for each action.

Good people to ask about the limitations of Game Maker would probably be Inccubus or TheouAegis, or a few others. The two I listed I know for a fact have some experience using the engine.

However, I don't think there's a limit to the animation frames, but it'd be a bit excessive to go all Touhouvania2-Sakuya with them.

At any rate. I would love to help and if given a choice I would really like to help with backgrounds, special effects such as that cross etc. Basically all the visual flare that adds detail. Eye candy :)

Sure, I think 101 would love as much help as he can get. :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2011, 12:37:19 AM »
Hello guys.

Welcome aboard  :) Like your 3D cross there. If this program you're talking about could help with 101's sprite resizing then that would really be cool.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2011, 01:10:17 AM »
Welcome aboard  :) Like your 3D cross there. If this program you're talking about could help with 101's sprite resizing then that would really be cool.

Which program Illustrator? I use Adobe CS5 which has photoshop illustrator flash etc in it. I primarily stick with the adobe line but occasionally stray when needed.

But speaking of resizing. I could easily trace the sprites as a vector in illustrator then resize them without distortion. Unlike a standard bitmap graphic vectors are able to be scaled up and down without distortion.

Not sure how familiar you guys are with vector graphics vs bitmap which is what photoshop would use. Flash and illustrator are both vector based programs. Tracing a bitmap into a vector is something the program does it's not a literal trace like you might be picturing it's more of a conversion process that changes the image from pixels to math equations. So basically with a bitmap of a black line you have several square pixels making up your line. With a vector it simply says you have a black line from point A to point B and it is this wide. Because the image is actually based on math and not shaded pixels it is highly scalable without blur or distortion.

To me that is the ultimate method of scaling sprites.

To create that cross I took the base materials and created all of the sides with photoshop. I then made a solid grey cross the same size as the original front of the cross in illustrator. I traced all the sides as a vector to make them all native format for illustrator. And I made that solid grey cross into a 3d object. I set the depth on it to match the sides I would apply and then I went in and mapped all of those pieces to the surfaces. Pretty easy really.

The cross being a 3d vector object can be imported to flash which is also vector based and then I can use action script to animate it. I plan to use it in my flash series but it can also be used for this project as well.

I finished the sub-weapon part of the cross tonight. The attachment is a zoomed in preview. I can take this and used together with the other part recreate the sotn cross with a whole lot more visual flare. It should however look really similar to the rest of the 32bit style graphics. These are after all just the 32bit sprites chopped up and applied to a multi-side 3d object to allow more depth. Er 2.5d?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:09:49 AM by Corpsecrank »
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2011, 10:23:31 AM »
Wow, lots of hich tech stuff being talked about. Anyway, in terms of backgrounds and such, from what I've seen through a game called Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, which features all sorts of stages, and characters to play as, like Simon Belmont who has two suits he can get, and can even upgrade his whip still, a lot of stuff is possible in Game Maker.

Right now the style I'm aiming for is pretty much the Rondo of Blood style. But, I can use some of Super Castlevania IV as well, as I was thinking of doing a recreation/expansion of some areas. Like the entrance stage in that game, it had awesome music, but was really short, and no boss. So I was planning on doing a more complex version, and with all the detail it had, I think Game Maker can handle it.

Here is a quick pic I made to show how well CVIV sprites mix with Rondo/Symphony style sprites.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »
Looks Ok to me. I've noticed that there are some segments of SCV4 that could very well fit in with the Rondo look due to their colorful nature. I say give it a go and see what happens.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2011, 11:37:31 AM »
I dunno, I think CV4 has a grittier style than Rondo.
"Stuff and things."

Offline ScionOfBalance

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »
IMO rondo is too ''happy'' while CV4 is dark and creppy.I don't think they would match too well.But what the hell,why not give it a try?Nothing ventured,nothing gained right?

Also,noob question,how do i put images in my signature?I'm really sorry if this has been already asked and answered,but if you guys could direct me to the answer,it would be really nice.Again,sorry if this has been asked and answered before and i didn't see it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:48:54 PM by ScionOfBalance »

Tags:

anything