Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Darkness and the Light  (Read 3430 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »
Saw this one at Siliconera, and seemingly the developers were inspired by Castlevania and Actraiser. Looks kinda interesting:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/07/introducing-castlevania-inspired-indie-side-scroller-the-light-of-darkness/

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:35:41 PM »
I nominate Epifanica (the developers) make the next 2D CV game

sheesh, first Bloodrayne, then Dragon's Crown, now this. Castlevania is falling way behind ;_;

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:41:59 AM »
All i can say about this title, is that it reminds me a lot of Demon's Crest!!!
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 12:58:17 AM »
The art and animation look really shitty, IMO. :o Like, really fucking terrible, make it go away.

Also, a Kickstarter project game? Needs $22k by September? lol, I don't think so.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: The Darkness and the Light
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 02:30:53 AM »
nominate Epifanica (the developers) make the next 2D CV game
Heh funny how Konami is probably the last company anyone would nominate to create a new 2D castlevania right now, they aint even trying hard.
I'd say Castlevania deserves wholesome full animation not the cheap cut out style animation present in this game though.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 02:35:38 AM »
Yeah, I thought Demon's Crest too, though I can see where they're getting the Actraiser vibe from...

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 06:50:08 AM »
I saw actraiser and thought cool! then I watched the vid and realized it was actaiser TWO it was more like. And actraiser 2 sucked compared to the first one

Agree about the general look of this game... It looks like warmed over shit really...

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:34:07 AM »
Although the graphics themselves are pretty great, as are the magic spells, the character animations still look like Marionettes.  The jointwork and animation thereof need some polishing.  Right now it looks like an Alpha version.  I can probably imagine it improving.

The desert stage screams Actraiser... but I'm not fond of the flying/gliding 'cuz it reminds me of the horrible mess that is Actraiser2.

It needs lots of work in the animations, but it's a good start.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »
Why animation looks indeed very artificial, I like it. It's unnaturalness fits with the rest of the gameworld and reminds about style of some old cartoons. It's maybe doesn't look that great, but it is sure have very distinct style about it.
Maybe it was they stykystic choice afterall.

And funny how another game 2D game seemingly does better in delevering dark atmosphere and style than any of the last 2D Castlevanias.
Hm...No it's rather sad afterall.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
graphics are awesome and Hires, though this is clearly not inspired by castlevania, unless Actraiser 2 happened to be a castlevania game

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
You know what's really, really, really funny about that title?

For a couple of years ago, there was a thread here where the Metroidvania titles and storylines were discussed (mostly mocked) and someone threw in a sarcastic reply. "In 201X, IGA will reveal his next masterpiece, "Castlevania: Light of Darkness".

Tags: